Feels like our legacy is dwindling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hopeful am I Jerry, that you change how you manage the team, before you find that you have to when it's far too late.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I know I'm 31, so I probably don't know as much about the Cowboys legacy as many of you. I was around for the Cowboys SBs in the 90s, but I was too little for the sport at the time. That said, this has been a rough season for me as a Cowboys fan. I'm always going to be a Cowboys fan, and it pains me to say what I'm going to say.

It feels like our legacy is dwindling. You might be asking what legacy I'm referring to. It's the legacy that we were a franchise that could match talking points with the 49ers and Steelers. The Steelers passed us years ago, and that was a blow to our legacy over them. Now, the 49ers are threatening again (lost their two previous attempts) to pass us. Meanwhile, Kansas City, should they win, will be at 4 and beginning to threaten our 5. I think I'm forced to (and will) pull for Kansas City to try to protect our 5 and being level with SFO, but I'm really hoping the 49ers don't have 3rd time's the charm to pass us. It feels like it'd shred what's left of the Cowboys legacy if they do the unthinkable this year. Maybe I'm off base, but it's just how I feel about this matchup. I don't know if any of you feel a similar sentiment to me.

Plus, I'm not sure how Jerry would respond. He didn't do much when Pittsburgh passed us. Will he respond if SFO does? He hasn't done much with how they've beaten us in our 3 previous encounters. I sense that them winning would probably hurt Jimmy a lot because it feels like it'd undo a bit of what he built in the early 90s. Will it hurt Jerry the same?

I suppose, and this is just me feeling my sentiments that I feel like sharing here on this forum, maybe it can cause some last bit of healing between Jerry and Jimmy? If SFO does the unthinkable, could it cause Jerry to turn to Jimmy for advice? Can Jimmy become somewhat of a GM? He seems to like McCarthy. Maybe Jimmy can be a helping hand for Jerry? Will Jerry respond at all if SFO does the unthinkable? All I know, from the time I realised that the Cowboys were likely playing the Packers in the playoffs, this has become one of the most painful seasons as a Cowboys fan for me. The 49ers winning this SB would hurt a lot to me. I have absolute disdain for them because of our rivalry with them. I just wish that Jerry had that same disdain.

What do you all think of the current developments? Do any of you feel a similar sentiment? Does our legacy matter to Jerry at all? Sure, he wins in Forbes. But this should be a matter of pride in what he's built. He probably doesn't have long to live. Is he now going to watch the very team he tried to beat after the 80s ruin what's left of his legacy? Could this force a change?
Oh my goodness...I'm old. I mean, I'm 49...I'm in great shape, look pretty young and live a single man's lifestyle. And yet...I've seen many, many things.

• Roger Staubach's last. regular season game against Washington. Amazing Comeback
  • Danny White losing 3 straight NFC Championship games...including nearly coming back against 9ers after "The Catch". "The horsecollar"
  • Steve Peuller, Gary Hogeboom
  • Troy Aikman 0-11 rookie year
  • Troy Aikman 11TDs, 0Ints in first 3 playoff runs
  • Troy with spare parts
  • Quimphy Carter
  • Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson,
  • Tony Romo
  • Dak Prescott
What I saw...hazily remembering Roger's last game as a 5 year old...is about the same as what you missed not experiencing the 90s Dynasty growing up. If you had experienced it you would have already known...those franchises HAVE LONG SINCE PASSED US BY. Dak is probably the best you've experienced...and that's unfortunate.

rags747

Reaction score
You people got to be tripping! Legacy? Be Concerned about your own Legacy, the Dallas Cowboys legacy means absolute squat to the welfare of your families at the end of the day.

GMO415

Reaction score
Dwindling? Its dead.
dead-man-in-morgue-coroner-covers-up-body-toe-tag.jpg

chuck520

Reaction score
While everyone outside the organization has their own opinions on how to fix or at least improve things, I am not promoting or even referencing any specific changes with my observations.

They have little incentive to take any risks and that is the main crux of their strategy because they are quite content with the 80% level. In fact, they have more incentive to not make any big changes.

Even when they have taken risks over the last 28 years, most of those risks were adding new aspects to the team, not fixing or changing existing things beyond the obligatory coaching change every few years or moving on from aging veterans whose performance no longer matches their salary requirements.

The Cowboys need to make fundamental changes to their core operation, but that requires taking risks which would jeopardize the 80% level, and as a result impact the organization's revenue and valuation.

There are many sports organizations out there with both front office and on-field staffs that have won championships for their organization, yet those organizations realized that at some point it was time to make serious changes.

That is not always because those people being replaced were suddenly bad at their jobs. Sometimes you need fresh minds, fresh eyes and fresh processes to shake things up enough within the organizational core to effect fundamental and substantiated change.

The problem is that the Cowboys only tend to make changes in the same specific areas every so often, and that's the same as trying to cure a sickness by treating the symptoms, but not the cause.
Your talking about a change ownership and a brand new way of running the franchise the same way when Jerry took over the franchise from Bum Bright and hired Jimmy

1) Thats not going to happen
2) If it did happen there is no guarantee you could get better results, you could get a bad or worse owner
3) too uncertain and unstable
4) have a better chance to fix current issues with the franchise as is

chuck520

Reaction score
You nailed it .I love the cowboys,from way back in 1973.If you would have told me,Dallas would not win a single Super Bowl in 29 years.I would not have believed it.When Dallas gets beat in playoff games ,anymore I am just numb to the losses.When I used to get mad.
Would you have thought they would win another Super Bowl in the final Tom Landry years or that first year with Jerry and Jimmy? If you did you were one of the very few

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your talking about a change ownership and a brand new way of running the franchise the same way when Jerry took over the franchise from Bum Bright and hired Jimmy

1) Thats not going to happen
2) If it did happen there is no guarantee you could get better results, you could get a bad or worse owner
3) too uncertain and unstable
4) have a better chance to fix current issues with the franchise as is
I never gave any specific examples, so those are your projected opinions and outcomes, not mine.

I do believe the fundamental operational core of the organization needs to change, but I do not believe that requires a change of ownership.

chuck520

Reaction score
Oh my goodness...I'm old. I mean, I'm 49...I'm in great shape, look pretty young and live a single man's lifestyle. And yet...I've seen many, many things.

• Roger Staubach's last. regular season game against Washington. Amazing Comeback
  • Danny White losing 3 straight NFC Championship games...including nearly coming back against 9ers after "The Catch". "The horsecollar"
  • Steve Peuller, Gary Hogeboom
  • Troy Aikman 0-11 rookie year
  • Troy Aikman 11TDs, 0Ints in first 3 playoff runs
  • Troy with spare parts
  • Quimphy Carter
  • Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson,
  • Tony Romo
  • Dak Prescott
What I saw...hazily remembering Roger's last game as a 5 year old...is about the same as what you missed not experiencing the 90s Dynasty growing up. If you had experienced it you would have already known...those franchises HAVE LONG SINCE PASSED US BY. Dak is probably the best you've experienced...and that's unfortunate.
Dak wasnt always bad. Were you happy when he became the starter in 2016 and went 13-3 and won the NFC East as a rookie? No one expected that. He wasnt even suppose to play for a few years. He was considered developmental.

chuck520

Reaction score
I never gave any specific examples, so those are your projected opinions and outcomes, not mine.

I do believe the fundamental operational core of the organization needs to change, but I do not believe that requires a change of ownership.
How does it need to change? What is it not doing correctly? What is the best way to do it? Is it only bad because of the results?

J_Allen

Reaction score
The enthusiasm I have as a fan is on life support. It started dying during the Garrett years and the McCarthy hire sped up the process. I'm almost at the point to where I'm going to quit all together.

I've had enough of the ineptitude and the anger I have towards Jerry Jones makes me want to just say the hell with it, let it burn. He deserves it. Anyone who says that the Jimmy divorce was Mutual I guess hasn't paid attention to the last 28 years. I couldn't work for that dirtbag either. And look what he's done since. We could have won five straight Super Bowls if he had just kept his narcissistic hands off the team and stuck to business.

chuck520

Reaction score
The enthusiasm I have as a fan is on life support. It started dying during the Garrett years and the McCarthy hire sped up the process. I'm almost at the point to where I'm going to quit all together.

I've had enough of the ineptitude and the anger I have towards Jerry Jones makes me want to just say the hell with it, let it burn. He deserves it.
I understand the Garrett years but McCarthy has done much better than Garrett

Garrett went 8-8, 8-8, 8-8, 12-4 in his first four full years 36-28
McCarthy 6-10, 12-5, 12-5, 12-5 in his first four full years 42-25

Garrett, one playoff year, one NFC East title
McCarthy 3 playoff years, 2 NFC East titles, 1 playoff win

Garrett didnt make the playoffs until his fourth year
McCarthy went in his second year

McCarthy also has a Super Bowl title on his resume, Garrett as a player

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
And it sucks. It sucks realising that we're in this circle ATM with an owner who doesn't seem to care. It'd be one thing if he cared and was trying to win a championship. The fact that I have questions about if he really wants to win a championship leads to a whole other issue imo.
Hey Rusty, 1st you're not mentioning that Jerry is responsible for a huge piece of THAT legacy. I know Jimmy played a huge part but Jerry signed the checks. The way I look at it is we are in year five of

A rebuilding process. People tend to get impatient but Dallas Has Been tasked with the job of rebuilding after 10 years of Jason Garrett First you build a winner then you build a champion. I know how you feel and if I knew you , I'd tell you to

just be patient, Cowboy the Puck up (Hockey and Bruce Willis reference). But don't turn into one of those, sometimey, whiny little so called fans that have made us the laughing stock of the league.

We Still Dem Boys !!!!!!!!!

Last time I checked we are 12-5 12-5 12-5 No super Bowls , 30 teams can say that, No NFC Championship games , 28 Teams can say that !

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
We're the most talked about team in sports. That is our legacy. Our legacy has never been stronger.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How does it need to change? What is it not doing correctly? What is the best way to do it? Is it only bad because of the results?
As I said in one of my previous posts, everyone has their own opinions of how to fix or at least improve the team, but none of those matter.

The relevant facts are that what the Cowboys have done and how they have done them for 28 years have not produced any tangible results.

If they had made it to a couple of championship games or Super Bowls and lost, those are things you can tweak and build on, but that is not the case.

Over the last 28 years they have tried replacing coaches, players, offensive schemes, defensive schemes, etc. and none of those changes yielded any better results than before.

To me it is less about what specifically they do and more so about doing things differently than they have.

It's not realistic to think the Jones family will sell the Cowboys and I really don't think that is required for the team to have success.

As I said before, the Cowboys have focused on fixing the symptoms rather than the cause.

That works when you have a good system in place because you are replacing the team flaws, but when the core is flawed, replacing the outer elements does little more than shift the symptoms around to give you new flaws to fix next season.

J_Allen

Reaction score
I understand the Garrett years but McCarthy has done much better than Garrett

Garrett went 8-8, 8-8, 8-8, 12-4 in his first four full years 36-28
McCarthy 6-10, 12-5, 12-5, 12-5 in his first four full years 42-25

Garrett, one playoff year, one NFC East title
McCarthy 3 playoff years, 2 NFC East titles, 1 playoff win

Garrett didnt make the playoffs until his fourth year
McCarthy went in his second year

McCarthy also has a Super Bowl title on his resume, Garrett as a player
We still don't do anything in the playoffs. I could not care less about going 12 and 5 if we quit in the first round every year. I'd rather go 5 and 12 or worse. At least then we could get a different quarterback. All those wins just mean we get a worse draft position. We have nothing to show for them but a loss on draft day.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
There is a disconnect or generation gap between the older and younger fans now
The older fans that watched the Super Bowl titles have that to fall back on the younger fans have not watched it so they only know the drought

The fanbase is fragmented now and the franchise is essentially two franchises, the franchise until Super Bowl XXX, and the franchise after Super Bowl XXX

Even though its the same franchise the corporate media presents it as two and the fans of all demographics are viewing it as two, maybe more

Interesting question that I have not understood until now
Are the fans a fan of the franchise from the time they have been a fan or the entire history?

I've always thought of it a cumulative history and as one franchise but the corporate media narratives about the team "never" winning the Super Bowl cant exist because of its past therefore it has to be discounted or ignored

Thats also why there are so many rivalries within the fan base of the different eras. In other words the fan base and the history is fragmenting and not viewed in its totality anymore even among the fan base.

I fall in the latter category

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
they make lots of moves not the ones the giant high risk moves the fans want but they out together a 36 win 2 division title 3 straight playoff 3 year run, coming up just short. Cooks, Hankins and Gilmore all some of the moves also cooper in18 plus many smaller moves and some great drafts outside of last years.

need proof see the post about all the great payer sunder 25years old etcto add to the FA MOVES.. I get it some of you want more and I hope we get more but there is no blueprint for spending a ton of money in free agency and winning a Super Bowl asked the Eagles they got there but they also got beat by the team that made the least amount of moves so matter of fact the Kansas City Chiefs been getting rid of players not adding two they've been using the draft and doing the same thing the Cowboys are doing with smaller moves and I get it we don't have Patrick mahomes and Andy Reed but not every team is going all in as a matter of fact it's very few make big moves and most of the ones with the biggest money making the biggest moves are the teams that were really horrible the last couple of years and had a lot of salary cap and high draft picks...

I would love a big time move I get it I hope they do it but don't say they haven't done anything there's proof they have they've been doing a lot... Being a top six team for three straight years it's pretty good when there's 32 teams in the mix and apparently is most here try to imply such a terrible front office and a bad GM and bad owners and people don't do anything man there's a lot of winning going on in there..... Make sure I hope they see the windows about to be slam shut and do just a little bit more this year in the off season..

For me, at least the Eagles got there. We haven't been there. I want to see us get beyond the NFCD at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.