Few thoughts about Lance vs Dak

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have no idea why people say those types of things. The situations are different. Dak isn't the same level of QB now than he was in 2017. Neither is Cooper. Dak is better than Cooper and he also costs a lot more. As long as both guys are on the roster, Dak provides the offense the best opportunity to help the team win and I think that is obvious.

It's going to be obvious this coming season...if that is true or not.

Western

Reaction score
"Trey Lance will go down as one of the greatest steals in Cowboys history" -- Skip Bayless

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Like let’s keep this in perspective.

Lance needs to develop into the 10-15th best QB and we can keep similar success.

This is very realistic imo.
Lance has not played much football in his life. He needs lots of reps to catch up, and he's not getting those in Dallas anytime soon. If Lance sees time on the field this year something went terribly wrong with both Dak and Rush.

To me he's more Drew Henson than anything else. He looks the part, has the tools, but has never done it and needs a lot of reps to get a better idea.

I hope he pans out, saying he's going to overtake Dak or even Rush, is wishful thinking!

Strum wrote a great article about this on his sunstack site!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lance is significantly more talented then Dak.

Dak has significantly more skill though.

Lance can learn the things that Dak is good at.

Our biggest Trey Lance problem is figuring out how to get him game experience. The dude just hasn’t played hardly any football and that’s his #1 problem.

Another plus that others might now consider but really know, football is a young man's game. Dak is coming up on eight years, has been injured and missed games because of that. Another thing about him is he is practicing the play book everyday with his new team.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If Dak plays like he has the last 2 years against the 49ers in the playoffs then it's time to start looking at other options. We're going to be wasting a great opportunity with this defense to win something or at least get to a SB. My only problem with Lance is I don't think he's going to give Dak a run for his money. I hope I'm wrong. Don't want to waste more years trying to make him into an NFL starter when he isn't. I suppose we'll see on that. can't do anything about it now.

He was not brought to the team to scare Dak. The kid wants to play football with someone that can teach him skills.

BossRhino

Reaction score
Another plus that others might now consider but really know, football is a young man's game. Dak is coming up on eight years, has been injured and missed games because of that.
Dak better hope he stays healthy. Injury changes the entire equation.

There was a time people would have been ridiculed for suggesting a 4th Rounder Dak Prescott could take the great ol' Tony Romo's job. Injury changed all that.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I don’t think Lance is close to unseating Dak as the Cowboys starting QB but I do think in a couple years Lance will be able to develop into a player that gets Dak like results for a fraction of the cost.

We’ve seen guys like Andy Dalton have a higher win % in Dallas as our starter and Cooper Rush be 5-1.

I think the Cowboys have Micah’s contract looming plus having to pay Dak elite QB money again and having nothing at all to show for it may cause them to just part ways if Prescott doesn’t have playoff success in the next couple of seasons.
If he gets “Dak like results” why won’t he want Dak kind of money?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak better hope he stays healthy. Injury changes the entire equation.

There was a time people would have been ridiculed for suggesting a 4th Rounder Dak Prescott could take the great ol' Tony Romo's job. Injury changed all that.

That's how Dak got the job...however, some say he took the job from Romo...and Dak also made the GOAT retire.

He's a bad mutha(shut your mouth).

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's not going to be a fraction of the cost and both Andy Dalton and Cooper Rush suck.
It's funny you say that, I was thinking how much could Lance ask for as a backup? Dak is here for 2 more years because of all of the guaranteed money at the very least.

If we see things we like about Lance in practice this year, let's extend him as a backup for good backup pay. Then we get the benefit of having a new starter (If Lance can start and we move on from Dak after his contract is up) with a reasonable salary for at least a couple of years, of course pending his development?

Aww just throwing spaghetti against the wall here.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don’t think Lance is close to unseating Dak as the Cowboys starting QB but I do think in a couple years Lance will be able to develop into a player that gets Dak like results for a fraction of the cost.

We’ve seen guys like Andy Dalton have a higher win % in Dallas as our starter and Cooper Rush be 5-1.

I think the Cowboys have Micah’s contract looming plus having to pay Dak elite QB money again and having nothing at all to show for it may cause them to just part ways if Prescott doesn’t have playoff success in the next couple of seasons.
Dalton……bwaaaaa!!!!

Why would anyone listen to you? You said mahomes woukdnt be a good qb in the nfl.

You are literally the worst qb evaluator in the history.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
That's what I want, one of the worst offenses in the league to win five and lose just one. So far, the number two came and went when it really counted with our starting QB.
Well, this next contract will tell us Cowboy fans just how much Dak wants to stay with the Cowboys. He already has generational money...does he want a SB? My guess is he will bend JJ over, just one more time for good measure.
Dak has done as much as Watson, Hurts and Jackson. He’ll want as much as Watson, Hurts and Jackson.

Proof

Reaction score
If you put Lance today in the 2016 offense that Dak ran he'd be insane.

I'm sure Jerry is thinking about that.
Especially with Pollard and Duece
aka the offense the 9ers run? lol

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have no idea why people say those types of things. The situations are different. Dak isn't the same level of QB now than he was in 2017. Neither is Cooper. Dak is better than Cooper and he also costs a lot more. As long as both guys are on the roster, Dak provides the offense the best opportunity to help the team win and I think that is obvious.
Well your not wrong.

But wouldn't be cool if Lance became the best QB on the roster? Not even saying if Dak regressed but if Lance just became a top 5 talent...And we got him for a 4th. Heck we might even get some scratch for Dak and have a higher top overall talent at a lesser price, if Lance progresses and our FO gets a brain.

Flamma

Reaction score

The next couple of seasons? He's up for extension after this season. If they wanted to move on from Dak after two seasons, they'd have to eat his 60M cap hit next year. I don't mean dead cap, I mean his actual cap hit they keep restructuring. You don't restructure a player you intend to release.