Few thoughts about Lance vs Dak

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don’t think Lance is close to unseating Dak as the Cowboys starting QB but I do think in a couple years Lance will be able to develop into a player that gets Dak like results for a fraction of the cost.

We’ve seen guys like Andy Dalton have a higher win % in Dallas as our starter and Cooper Rush be 5-1.

I think the Cowboys have Micah’s contract looming plus having to pay Dak elite QB money again and having nothing at all to show for it may cause them to just part ways if Prescott doesn’t have playoff success in the next couple of seasons.
That's really it in a nutshell, Dak has at least couple of years to get over the playoff anxiety and choking,,, maybe this new scheme will help and certainly having a great defense helps,,, we'll see.
Lance also has a couple of years to show something, hopefully both of them surprise us all and win big.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I agree with you in spirit. IF Lance can develop into a QB as good as Dak. I am perfectly fine with them moving on to Lance.

It’s a big IF at this point though. Right now Lance is not as good as Dak and he may never be. And I don’t want to take a step back at QB so save some money. Personally. Unless it’s on a super cheap QB deal. Like it needs to be 10’s of millions less for it to be worth it. IMO
I just don’t think you can keep paying him and getting the same results.

Something has to give.

Also, I don’t see Dak as a QB that gets better with age.

plymkr

Reaction score
Pro Football Hall of Famer Steve Young was apprehensive about the 49ers trading quarterback Trey Lance to the Dallas Cowboys.

"I have PTSD," the QB who played for the 49ers from 1987 to 1999 said, per Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle. "I feel like we should never trade anything to Dallas again after the disastrous Charles Haley mistake. We traded away Super Bowls with that deal."

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti..._addresses_trey_lance_trade/s1_13132_39193910

Lance, who suffered a season-ending ankle injury in 2022, needed a change of scenery after he was demoted to QB3 in San Francisco. But Young implied he doesn't believe Dallas is the right destination for the 23-year-old.

"I'm a big fan of Trey," Young said. "It's not the first landing spot I would have thought of."

Despite Lance's upside, quarterback Dak Prescott holds a firm grip on the starting job after making two Pro Bowls and winning 61 games in seven seasons. If he suffered an injury, Dallas would likely turn to backup Cooper Rush, who went 4-1 as a starter last season.
This is what excites me. If the 49er faithful are upset Lance is with the Cowboys then we did something right. As much as I hate Steve Young(mostly due to respect and he is my team’s rival) he knows more than we do. He knows more about the 49ers than we do and he knows more about Trey than we do. So if he’s unhappy Trey is here then that should make every Cowboy fan happy.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you put Lance today in the 2016 offense that Dak ran he'd be insane.

I'm sure Jerry is thinking about that.
Especially with Pollard and Duece

plymkr

Reaction score
I just don’t think you can keep paying him and getting the same results.

Something has to give.

Also, I don’t see Dak as a QB that gets better with age.
If Trey develops and delivers in the playoffs then I’m more than happy to pay him the going rate for quality QBs. Dak has shown to be a great regular season player but mediocre too bad in the playoffs, especially against top defenses. Paying Dak big money for mediocre play in the playoffs is foolish. So far Dak hasn’t shown he has the “it” factor in the playoffs. If he doesn’t show the “it” factor in the playoffs then let’s move on, either with Trey or another guy. I agree that Dak doesn’t seem like he will get better with age, especially with his injury history the last 3 seasons.

Big_D

Reaction score
I don’t think Lance is close to unseating Dak as the Cowboys starting QB but I do think in a couple years Lance will be able to develop into a player that gets Dak like results for a fraction of the cost.

We’ve seen guys like Andy Dalton have a higher win % in Dallas as our starter and Cooper Rush be 5-1.

I think the Cowboys have Micah’s contract looming plus having to pay Dak elite QB money again and having nothing at all to show for it may cause them to just part ways if Prescott doesn’t have playoff success in the next couple of seasons.

Should be interesting to see what kind of contract he gets after 2 years.

nobody

Reaction score
Even IF Lance develops and were the future, he's nowhere close to ready now and needs time. Meanwhile Dak is a top 16 QB. He's not great but he's pretty good. If he's gotten past whatever mental issue that developed due to his ankle, he's pretty darned good and rightfully QB1. He goes down and the season is over. Do I think he's capable of leading the team to the SB and winning it? No. Not anymore. But he's the best shot the team has right now.

Those calling to dump him are delusional. Season's over if they do.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I hope we cut Lance, it's hurting mine and the other dak groupies' feelings. I know dak is scared and probably will choke more with some new QB on the team. I blame Rocky and Jerry.

Well, at least Lance doesn't have one of those (you can't get rid of me unless I tell you to) in his contract.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nobody was throwing the football. They had one of the worst offenses in the league.
That's what I want, one of the worst offenses in the league to win five and lose just one. So far, the number two came and went when it really counted with our starting QB.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Unless the Cowboys can get Lance on the field, he’s not going to develop. He’s not going to get many practice reps this season, so Jerry is likely to devise a way to get him on the field in some capacity this season. Even if it’s for a play or two as a gadget QB. When he brought in Ryan Leaf he played him. When he traded away a third round pick for Drew Henson he got Parcells to play him. The Cowboys are going to have to make the decision whether to pick up Lance’s fifth year option after the 2024 season. That doesn’t give the team much time to develop him. You can’t just throw away the entire 2023 season having him standing on the sidelines.

They’re going to have to find ways to get him on the field the next two seasons so he can gain more experience. Let’s say the Cowboys were to wrap up their division and playoff seeding by week 17, they could play Lance in week 18. I’ve seen how Jerry operates long enough to know he’s not going to have Lance just standing around on the sidelines for a full 2023 season. He’s going to try and make that trade benefit the team this season, even if it’s only for a few plays as a situational QB. He’s going to want to see what he has in Trey Lance sooner rather than later.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I still can’t believe ESPN show Get Up actually said that the Cowboys disrespects Dak constantly. :huh: Making your quarterback the highest paid player in the NFL coming off a season ending ankle injury is disrespectful….

Stop letting the media pluck up you mind about Dak...he's cool.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
we can't put Trey in, dak is still learning and needs more time on the field. After 8 or 7, whatever, he's going to learn something new. lmao if Mike and Marty's boy can't make him better we will just have to find another guy, then another guy. Let's keep on trying. I miss the days of jason garrett the same crap.

Last edited:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Stop letting the media pluck up you mind about Dak...he's cool.
My issue is the media makes things up that is not true. The real reason why the Cowboys signed Lance because he upgraded the quarterback room and is a lottery ticket. Nothing more nothing less until after the season when the Cowboys can evaluate him.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
why couldn't we just have keep Will Grier? A guy who will never be a starter and who doesn't threaten Dakie.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Anyone not completely delusional knows Dak is good.

He’s not as bad as his haters say and he’s not as good as his homers say.

He’s a Kirk Cousins type.

Can you win a Super Bowl paying Dak like he’s an elite QB?

So far no. Not even elite QBs win when theor cap % is so high.

Well, this next contract will tell us Cowboy fans just how much Dak wants to stay with the Cowboys. He already has generational money...does he want a SB? My guess is he will bend JJ over, just one more time for good measure.