Fireside Chat

ESisback

Reaction score
For a guy that loves humor as much as I do, sitcoms bore the hell out of me. I don't like canned laughter or even live laughter because that's a set up with plants in the audience to get a chain reaction. The last one I liked was Cheers but they ran out of steam with the same writers that did Taxi, which was very funny to me.

My wife and I tried Friends and Seinfeld and never even smiled so I never got it and the Big Bang is a complete dud to me. But I have seldom been drawn to mass appeal TV except for MASH and that improved 100% when they removed the laugh track. But MASH was the master of bittersweet and the best thing I have ever seen to evoke emotion, so well written with a magical cast.

What I find odd is that I was a TV sitcom junkie as a kid. Andy Griffith, Dick Van Dyke, Lucy and even Mr. Ed and December Bride were staples and I was completely hooked on the Beverly Hillbillies. I do think my favorite off all time was Dick Van Dyke after I found out how hammered he was in the filming of some of the episodes and think they should package just those as The Drunk Dick Van Dyke Episodes/ The Happy Hour Pack.

I loved MASH also, but the last couple of years seemed too predictable—each character had his clearly defined role. Also, I liked Henry Blake better than Col. Potter, and Frank Burns was funnier than Winchester. Some shows I wondered how they ever got past the first couple of shows. Did you EVER get excited about an episode of Hazel? Facts of Life? Webster? Ugh.

I always appreciated quirky, with an ensemble cast. Remember Northern Exposure? Some other shows I loved:
Rockford Files
NYPD Blue
The Sopranos
The West Wing
Kung **

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I gotta say I did like La La Land and didn't think I would but just the trailers for The Greatest Showman and Les Miserables put me into a catatonic state. Otis too, he dropped the beer and became a cat with tonic.
You sob, I also got wrangled into watching Les Miserables. You know, maybe I lack the sophistication to appreciate these Gems of musicals. But you know what? I really don't care. A crap sammich is a crap sammich.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I loved MASH also, but the last couple of years seemed too predictable—each character had his clearly defined role. Also, I liked Henry Blake better than Col. Potter, and Frank Burns was funnier than Winchester. Some shows I wondered how they ever got past the first couple of shows. Did you EVER get excited about an episode of Hazel? Facts of Life? Webster? Ugh.

I always appreciated quirky, with an ensemble cast. Remember Northern Exposure? Some other shows I loved:
Rockford Files
NYPD Blue
The Sopranos
The West Wing
Kung **
At first, I really liked West Wing but then the writing began to wear on me because every character cannot be a "quick wit". The responses were overlapping. VEEP has that same kind of vibe but there are some killer lines in just about every episode.

That whole ensemble cast idea was pioneered by two of my all time favorite TV shows, Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere, both of which were renewed with <good ratings. Surprisingly, HSB was more successful but St. Elsewhere launched more careers, Denzel Washington, David Morse and Howie Mandell, who was a stand up but became much better known. To this day, I have never seen a better wrap up for a TV series than the ending of St. Elsewhere, it was masterful and planned from the beginning and no one saw it coming.

I agree about MASH as everything has a life. Some of my favorite series went a little long. I felt Sons of Anarchy went one season too long but Rescue Me was one too short for me. But these writers get a hit and have to stretch it like they did Lost and I don't think JJ Abrams had the ending in mind when it began. These guys don't even know if the series is going to get renewed when the pilot gets bought.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You sob, I also got wrangled into watching Les Miserables. You know, maybe I lack the sophistication to appreciate these Gems of musicals. But you know what? I really don't care. A crap sammich is a crap sammich.
I don't know what I lack but I wasn't going to find it with that once I saw the trailer. And I like High Jackman but not in those roles. What's next? X Men, The Musical?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don't know what I lack but I wasn't going to find it with that once I saw the trailer. And I like High Jackman but not in those roles. What's next? X Men, The Musical?
You said it earlier CC, at the most random time during a scene of normal talking conversation they would just bellow out singing. Completely out of the blue. When that happened, each time I had a "what the hell" moment.

And I fully support a musical in which characters cut throats when the singing starts. THAT'S entertainment.

ESisback

Reaction score
You said it earlier CC, at the most random time during a scene of normal talking conversation they would just bellow out singing. Completely out of the blue. When that happened, each time I had a "what the hell" moment.

And I fully support a musical in which characters cut throats when the singing starts. THAT'S entertainment.

Three reasons you must be my long lost brother:
1)Love of bacon, boobies and Cowboys
2)Sarcasm and smartassery
3)Hatred of musicals

Xelda

Reaction score
For a guy that loves humor as much as I do, sitcoms bore the hell out of me. I don't like canned laughter or even live laughter because that's a set up with plants in the audience to get a chain reaction. The last one I liked was Cheers but they ran out of steam with the same writers that did Taxi, which was very funny to me.

My wife and I tried Friends and Seinfeld and never even smiled so I never got it and the Big Bang is a complete dud to me. But I have seldom been drawn to mass appeal TV except for MASH and that improved 100% when they removed the laugh track. But MASH was the master of bittersweet and the best thing I have ever seen to evoke emotion, so well written with a magical cast.

What I find odd is that I was a TV sitcom junkie as a kid. Andy Griffith, Dick Van Dyke, Lucy and even Mr. Ed and December Bride were staples and I was completely hooked on the Beverly Hillbillies. I do think my favorite off all time was Dick Van Dyke after I found out how hammered he was in the filming of some of the episodes and think they should package just those as The Drunk Dick Van Dyke Episodes/ The Happy Hour Pack.
I've got a movie for you, Coach. Wait For Your Laugh has a segment dedicated to the Dick Van Dyke show. It's an autobiography by Rose Marie that includes interviews with Carl Reiner, Dick Van Dyke and Tim Conway. It was more interesting that I'd anticipated.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

West Side Story needed to be much bloodier, much sooner.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, a big part of guilty pleasures is it has to be something against the norm.
Well, that is not only against the norm but what I know about you I would not have thought you an Air Supply fan and the fact that you feel comfortable in an admitting to us means we've been far too easy.

I've got this bud that is 6'3", 240 and an ex boxer and about as butch a a guy would ever want to see and his favorite band of all time, and one he actually flew across country 3 times to see, was The Carpenters. I have still not known anyone to listen to one band as much as he did, let alone one like The Carpenters. And I like them because they're the most talented brother/sister act I ever heard and I do appreciate talent but not like he loved them.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's no greater feeling than to create a thread and have your peers derail it along with you.
I thought that's why you started it. I know I've never started one with the intent of staying on track.

I may hold the record on the old site. I started one and immediately jacked it before anyone could respond. Wasn't intentional but I was proud just the same.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well, that is not only against the norm but what I know about you I would not have thought you an Air Supply fan and the fact that you feel comfortable in an admitting to us means we've been far too easy.

I've got this bud that is 6'3", 240 and an ex boxer and about as butch a a guy would ever want to see and his favorite band of all time, and one he actually flew across country 3 times to see, was The Carpenters. I have still not known anyone to listen to one band as much as he did, let alone one like The Carpenters. And I like them because they're the most talented brother/sister act I ever heard and I do appreciate talent but not like he loved them.
I'm also a huge Carpenters fan!!!!!! She has/had the best pure voice I've ever heard.

Easy don't even come close to describin' it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!