First 39 Starts of career- Romo/Prescott

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Why is he not on a roster? Honest question.

To some degree, it's his choice. He could have been playing for Baltimore all this season.

His problem seems to be that he thinks more highly of himself than teams do, which is a problem for a lot of players on the back side of their careers. If he had been willing to accept the fact that he's a role player now until he proves differently, he'd probably be playing.

Frankly, I think he could have done like some other receivers when their play tailed off. Andre Rison comes to mind. His play dropped off steeply when he left Atlanta, but after a few declining years, he had a 1,000-yard season for Kansas City when nothing much was expected of him.

I believe ego has gotten in Dez's way from being able to show that his decline in Dallas doesn't mean he can't have at least one last hoorah in the right situation.

Reactions: G2

Batman1980

Reaction score
To some degree, it's his choice. He could have been playing for Baltimore all this season.

His problem seems to be that he thinks more highly of himself than teams do, which is a problem for a lot of players on the back side of their careers. If he had been willing to accept the fact that he's a role player now until he proves differently, he'd probably be playing.

Frankly, I think he could have done like some other receivers when their play tailed off. Andre Rison comes to mind. His play dropped off steeply when he left Atlanta, but after a few declining years, he had a 1,000-yard season for Kansas City when nothing much was expected of him.

I believe ego has gotten in Dez's way from being able to show that his decline in Dallas doesn't mean he can't have at least one last hoorah in the right situation.

He thinks he's still 1300 yard, 13+ TD Dez when 2015, 2016 and 2017 Dez is closer to the truth.

blindzebra

Reaction score
It's really not that dramatic at all.

Its reality. In almost any thread where people criticize the way he's played, there are many who come forward with excuses either for a particular play or his overall play that game. It's far more prevalent than just some fringe extreme position. Another tactic is to take QBs who were better (or are better by any rational look) and try to undercut them to make Dak look better.

So yeah, let me know when the crutches of the OC or HC or WR or scheme or OL are no longer here and we can properly and fairly view the type of QB he is.
It might help if the criticism was accurate. Ball clearly thrown away gets called an awful pass and Dak is inaccurate. He is running for his life because the line breaks down and he gets accused of holding the ball too long. But my all time favorite was when he threw a TD and someone called it a miss read because someone else was open. When the vast majority of Dak criticism is parroting the same old same old, and much of the time, it is unfounded and gets corrected...and that gets called excuse making.

Ken

Reaction score
Evidently you don’t have an eye for talent when it comes to QBs. I hate to break it to you but the Cowboys will never win anything with Dak as the QB!
I had a good enough eye on draft day to say that the seahawks got a better qb than the Commanders in the third round then they got #2 with rg3.

He won a super bowl too...hmmmm.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
The article you used was actually was a bad one. It was sexy because it was a game Romo threw for 500 yds and a way to prop Romo up and mention Dak struggles to throw for 200. There were many other games for you to mention that Romo threw for less yards, multiple TDs and no ints. But this one was a bad one. He threw for 500 yds but threw a pick with less 2 min which was virtually the game ending pick. So what good did the 500 yds do? Like I said , look at what Romo was playing with that day compared to what Dak has now. It's not close. That was also when they were throwing the **** out if the ball. Dak will never be the gun slinger like Romo and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Plus our team is built different and isn't pass happy like they was back then to get that 500 yd game. The next year, 2014, we changed to more of a 50/50 team. Most will say that was Romo best year . That was also his lowest passing yds per game in his career. So throwing for 500 yd games isn't a must and doesn't mean if a qb throws for 500 yds he's less likely to blame than one who throws for less than 200. If one throws for 5 tds , 500 yds and the game ending pick and the other throws for 150, no tds and no ints and the team loses , they both are equally to blame .

Edit: sorry I didn't paragraph this out but i just got through watching my son's high school film from tonight and I'm tired and going to bed. Lol

Sure there are more meaningful games, but the point was that Romo could throw for 500 yards, and he is in the 500 yard club of quarterbacks. Look at names of the QBs that are in that elite club. Also 2013 was an 8-8 season, so a losing season was chosen on purpose, since I said its harder to say the QB is the problem for an 8-8 seasons when he can throw for 500 yards versus a quarterback who in a losing season who struggles to get to 200 yards. Yes there were people defending romo then as there are people defending Dak now, but for many of the defenders it was based on the logic that when a quarterback can have 500, 400 yard games, then perhaps the quarterback isn't the problem here. That argument is harder to make for Dak, when he produces subpar yardage.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Can somebody tell me the season that Romo had a mediocre team around him, and then carried that team to anything significant?

I loved Romo but come on. The way some people talk about him around here, you would think he was a perfect QB from the start. That he held absolutely no responsibility in any of the teams failures.

Likewise for the people revising history to make Romo seem worse than he was. Romo was a very good QB for quite a while.

There is a lot of revisionist history going on in this thread.

Every QB needs a team around them to win games.

Dak isn’t playing well enough right now either. He needs to be better. He needs to improve to make it long term. But people also going back and revising history to make it seem like he didn’t play well in 2016? That’s BS too. Watch the damn games and you can see Dak making plays all season long.

This thread is ridiculous.

Dak played well in 2016. But the question still is: Was it because he was that good, or was it because he hadn't been figured out yet? I think Dak is better than some give him credit for. In 2016, I thought he could be better than Romo. But this lack of production, and the lack of accuracy in the deep game, gives me doubt that he will ever get back to what he was in 2016. And right now I think he is the bigger problem versus the components around him being the bigger problem

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I am sure this is about his first year and 13-3....show me Qbs that went from 13-3 to 9-7 and then 3-4 and were good QBs? come on dude...stop milking 2016, its two years ago....

the same flaws that he has had his first year, he has today. bad footwork, inaccurate, inconsistent, except the team and those around him aren't as strong as 2016 thus Dak is exposed. He can't lift a team unless things are PERFECT around him. He has to have a great TE, great WRs, Great OL and a great RB to succeed. any part missing and he is below average. we have seen this happen right in front of our eyes....

Dak is a bus driver. a low risk taking bus driver.

Dak has regressed some but the coaching and OL is more to blame for that then him.

Number1

Reaction score
Why is everyone writing off Tony's time learning on the bench?

In reality it's more like:
Dak first 3 seasons: check OP for stats
Romo first 3 seasons: learned from Parcells, Bledsoe, Testaverde, etc and accumulated 0 stats except bench time.

I'm not surprised Romo developed faster once he started playing every game.

I'm 50/50 on Dak but the further this thread goes the more it turns into a head scratcher of apples-to-oranges comparisons

Tony did not develope faster - I've never seen Dak throw some of the idiotic INTs we saw from Tony much of his career, that matters

Dak's INT% is half of Romo's through 39 starts. Dak's 1.9 INT% is not to be taken lightly - he sees the field better than most imagine.

His QBR vs the blitz is rather amazing for a young QB with a sometimes leaky OL, And the tight window stats are very real.

the one thing Dak isn't doing is getting the ball down filed enough ... and remember Dak has been sacked a lot more often, and Tony had TO and Witten in their prime

beside I never thought much of the "Parcells, Bledsoe, Testaverde" bunch.

Them

Reaction score
...I've seen the stats...I've watched the games... both Romo's and Dak's... I like them both...I remember Romo's first start, and I think his first pass was a "Pick 6"...lol...I could be wrong. Anyway I supported him for a decade. Now it's Dak's turn, and his team. I want him and the team to succeed. I will root for them now...:cool:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It might help if the criticism was accurate. Ball clearly thrown away gets called an awful pass and Dak is inaccurate. He is running for his life because the line breaks down and he gets accused of holding the ball too long. But my all time favorite was when he threw a TD and someone called it a miss read because someone else was open. When the vast majority of Dak criticism is parroting the same old same old, and much of the time, it is unfounded and gets corrected...and that gets called excuse making.
Dak has some blame for that. Dak holds the ball too long, which allows the pressure to get to him and he runs and scrambles. he doesn't make the tight throws off his first read and doesn't trust his arm. and this OL was ranked 11th in the league. not the top OL we are used too, but still decent...….

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Tony did not develope faster - I've never seen Dak throw some of the idiotic INTs we saw from Tony much of his career, that matters

Dak's INT% is half of Romo's through 39 starts. Dak's 1.9 INT% is not to be taken lightly - he sees the field better than most imagine.

His QBR vs the blitz is rather amazing for a young QB with a sometimes leaky OL, And the tight window stats are very real.

the one thing Dak isn't doing is getting the ball down filed enough ... and remember Dak has been sacked a lot more often, and Tony had TO and Witten in their prime

beside I never thought much of the "Parcells, Bledsoe, Testaverde" bunch.

For the 7,000,000th time

Romo DID NOT have TO in his prime

TO was 34 in 2007

Still a darn good receiver but past his prime.

uvaballa

Reaction score
LOL they picking at the littlest things. TO was better than anyone recent Cowboy WR. 2007 Witten >> 2016 Witten.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Romo>>Dak. Call me a Romo lover if you want.

80 sacks for Dak with a better OL than what Romo had his entire career except for the year they went 13-3 08? That's extremely telling. Dak hold the ball too long. Sure there are lots of variables (WR, TE, RB, OL) but you'll never to make it completely apples to apples comparison. Tapes don't lie.
Tape doesn't lie. Dak clearly has shown that he is willing to throw to the open guy......get open. Future is bright with Gallup, Cooper and Beasley....the near future.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
For the 7,000,000th time

TO was 34 in 2007

Gotta let it go, he was still an elite talent. WAY better than anything we have.

HungryLion

Reaction score
For the 7,000,000th time

TO was 34 in 2007

Did you happen to watch T.O. Play in 2006, 2007 and 2008?

He was a monster still. His age is meaningless.