First 39 Starts of career- Romo/Prescott

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Gotta let it go, he was still an elite talent. WAY better than anything we have.

I'm not letting it go. It's simply a false statement. And the purpose of the false statement is to detract from Romo in the comparison of the first 39 games.

Yes TO was a HOF player. But he was at least a few years past his prime when Romo became the starter. Period.

It's funny when I say Prescott had Dez Bryant in his prime immediately that gets met with resistance and he was 27.

But daily we read on here that Owens was "in his prime" at 34. it's a false statement and as long as people continue to make that false statement I'm going to continue to point it out

if we're going to have legitimate discussion then let's have it on the Merit of the facts

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Did you happen to watch T.O. Play in 2006, 2007 and 2008?

He was a monster still. His age is meaningless.

He was not a monster in 2006 until Romo became the starter.

Check his stats the first 5 games with Bledsoe, then check his production the last 10 games and get back to me. He became a monster in Dallas right about the time Romo became the starter. Possibly a coincidence. But I don't believe in coincidences

HungryLion

Reaction score
He was not a monster in 2006 until Romo became the starter.

Check his stats the first 5 games with Bledsoe, then check his production the last 10 games and get back to me. He became a monster in Dallas right about the time Romo became the starter. Possibly a coincidence. But I don't believe in coincidences

You’re right, you’re right.

One of the top 3 wide receivers in league history only produced because Romo was the QB.

:rolleyes:

HungryLion

Reaction score
So, did you check his stats the first 5 games with Bledsoe?

277 yards and 4 touchdowns in 5 games.

So his stats improved a bit in the yards per game totals when Romo began.

Not terribly uncommon for a receivers stats to improve some, when he gets better QB play.

But insinuating that he was playing poorly or that he was only putting up numbers because of Romo is foolish.

Plus ya know, you could actually watch him play and see he was a great player still.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Have you ever seen another NFL WR “not in their prime” and still be an All Pro? I can’t think of one.

So you are saying that it's perfectly reasonable to assume that professional athletes will be just as fast, just as strong and just as good in their mid-to-late 30s as they were 10 years earlier?

If you guys would make the statement that Terrell Owens in 2007 was better than any receiver on the Cowboys roster right now, I would agree with you 100%. But that's not good enough for you. You need to repeat this mantra that Romo had a hall of fame wide receiver "in his prime" ostensibly making it so much easier for him to succeed

It's a false statement.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
277 yards and 4 touchdowns in 5 games.

So his stats improved a bit in the yards per game totals when Romo began.

Not terribly uncommon for a receivers stats to improve some, when he gets better QB play.

But insinuating that he was playing poorly or that he was only putting up numbers because of Romo is foolish.

Plus ya know, you could actually watch him play and see he was a great player still.

So Owens was on Pace for a whopping 876 yards after the first five games of the 2006 season. Holy s*** I guess I was wrong. The guy was clearly a beast and single-handedly destroying the opposing defenses. Full credit to Terrell Owens, he was putting up Laurent Robinson type numbers the first half of that season

for those of you keeping score at home Dez Bryant finished with 838 yards last season and got cut because he "couldn't get open"

HungryLion

Reaction score
So Owens was on Pace for a whopping 876 yards after the first five games of the 2006 season. Holy s*** I guess I was wrong. The guy was clearly a beast and single-handedly destroying the opposing defenses

for those of you keeping score at home Dez Bryant finished with 838 yards last season and got cut because he "couldn't get open"

He was clearly a beast.

Again you either didn’t watch the games or have a poor memory. If you watched TO play those seasons you would have seen he was still playing at an elite level.

HungryLion

Reaction score
So you are saying that it's perfectly reasonable to assume that professional athletes will be just as fast, just as strong and just as good in their mid-to-late 30s as they were 10 years earlier?

If you guys would make the statement that Terrell Owens in 2007 was better than any receiver on the Cowboys roster right now, I would agree with you 100%. But that's not good enough for you. You need to repeat this mantra that Romo had a hall of fame wide receiver "in his prime" ostensibly making it so much easier for him to succeed

It's a false statement.

It’s not an assumption. Every player is different. TO was one of the best conditioned players in NFL history. He was a workout freak of nature.

He was still elite when he played in Dallas. He was one of the best ever.

Saying so doesn’t diminish Romo. The fact you feel it necessary to diminish TO’s ability at that time, to “defend” Romo is pointless.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
He was clearly a beast.

Again you either didn’t watch the games or have a poor memory. If you watched TO play those seasons you would have seen he was still playing at an elite level.

Then why was he only on Pace for 876 yards?

We both know the answer, I just want to see if you're honest enough to say it

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm not letting it go. It's simply a false statement. And the purpose of the false statement is to detract from Romo in the comparison of the first 39 games.

Yes TO was a HOF player. But he was at least a few years past his prime when Romo became the starter. Period.

It's funny when I say Prescott had Dez Bryant in his prime immediately that gets met with resistance and he was 27.

But daily we read on here that Owens was "in his prime" at 34. it's a false statement and as long as people continue to make that false statement I'm going to continue to point it out

if we're going to have legitimate discussion then let's have it on the Merit of the facts
You are trying to drive home an irrelevant nit-pick.
I get you want everyone to agree with the idea that "Romo made his WRs better." Cool, but this isn't a jag Robinson one hit wonder.

I'll repeat. Owens was elite with multiple teams with multiple QBs, not JUST Romo. Owens was elite before with and after Romo.

And lets not put Bryant and Owens in the same sentence.

Next you'll rant on that "WR's are past their prime in their 30's." Most. Not Owens, he was a freak of nature.
The last WR Romo played with that I would use to prop up Romo. Good God.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Then why was he only on Pace for 876 yards?

We both know the answer, I just want to see if you're honest enough to say it

I already said because he got better QB play. Read

That of course doesn’t mean anything considering the argument was about Romo’s supporting cast and you were trying to argue that a hall of fame receiver, who was still playing at an All Pro level, wasn’t “in his prime” anymore.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
It’s not an assumption. Every player is different. TO was one of the best conditioned players in NFL history. He was a workout freak of nature.

He was still elite when he played in Dallas. He was one of the best ever.

Saying so doesn’t diminish Romo. The fact you feel it necessary to diminish TO’s ability at that time, to “defend” Romo is pointless.

I just want us to have a factual discussion

The facts are Romo benefited from having a great receiver like Terrell Owens to throw to

The facts are Terrell Owens was past his prime during his years in Dallas but still a great receiver without doubt

The facts are Terrell Owens was not producing like an All-Pro when Drew Bledsoe was his quarterback

The facts are I think it was a very mutually beneficial relationship for both players, but it still is undeniably true that Owens production increased dramatically the minute Romo became the starter. Noting that is not tearing down Owens. It's simply stating a fact

BoysForLife

Reaction score
You are trying to drive home an irrelevant nit-pick.
I get you want everyone to agree with the idea that "Romo made his WRs better." Cool, but this isn't a jag Robinson one hit wonder.

I'll repeat. Owens was elite with multiple teams with multiple QBs, not JUST Romo. Owens was elite before with and after Romo.

And lets not put Bryant and Owens in the same sentence.

Next you'll rant on that "WR's are past their prime in their 30's." Most. Not Owens, he was a freak of nature.
The last WR Romo played with that I would use to prop up Romo. Good God.

What about Randy Moss? People said he was past his Prime in his late 30s cuz he had 3 Bad seasons in a row cuz

Goes to New England and catches 23 touchdowns in one season

Why is it so bad to know that even with an all time great receiver the quarterback still makes a difference?

It's a simple truth

HungryLion

Reaction score
I just want us to have a factual discussion

The facts are Romo benefited from having a great receiver like Terrell Owens to throw to

The facts are Terrell Owens was past his prime during his years in Dallas but still a great receiver without doubt

The facts are Terrell Owens was not producing like an All-Pro when Drew Bledsoe was his quarterback

The facts are I think it was a very mutually beneficial relationship for both players, but it still is undeniably true that Owens production increased dramatically the minute Romo became the starter. Noting that is not tearing down Owens. It's simply stating a fact

There is no “fact” that he was past his prime. That’s an opinion. There is no definition, for somebody being “past their prime”.

What I do know is. I watched TO play all of those games. And he was still a monster and one of the best receivers in the league. Whether he was “past his prime” or not isn’t really relevant, when discussing whether Romo had a good supporting cast then or not.

TO was an all pro. Because he was an amazing receiver. And yes. He had a great QB like Romo throwing to him too.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
What about Randy Moss? People said he was past his Prime in his late 30s cuz he had 3 Bad seasons in a row cuz

Goes to New England and catches 23 touchdowns in one season

Why is it so bad to know that even with an all time great receiver the quarterback still makes a difference?

It's a simple truth
Well no kidding! That's what a team is, lol.

Motown12

First words were not Mom or Dad but Flex Defense
Reaction score
Good research OP! I am neither a Romo homer or a Dak hater. I think one thing not mentioned in the OP is that Dak is playing in a different era where we are seeing Arena League type numbers being put up due to rule changes. I also think early in his career Romo was very Kirk Cousins like. He would have a great game/stats only to make the gut wrenching mistake at the end of the game. Unfortunately for him casual watchers never let that rep go away which I thought was unfair later on in Rom's career.

kramskoi

Reaction score
Bunk. I would take Romo six days a week and twice on Sundays. Full...stop. A risk averse quarterback paired with a risk averse head coach ain't championship stuff. The kid has a lot left to prove imo.

aaev84

Reaction score
He thinks he's still 1300 yard, 13+ TD Dez when 2015, 2016 and 2017 Dez is closer to the truth.

2015 was the same injury that Julio Jones had that took a good while to recover from. Who was throwing to him 2016 and 2017? He puts up much better numbers if Romo was able to play. No doubt. That doesn't mean 2014 level. There has been some dropoff... Not as dramatic as some may claim... But maybe thats just me. Dak is just as responsible if not more. But Dak sells the most Jerseys and Dez Bryant's star power has faded. This ownership is still hanging on to that 2016 excitement/buzz of Zeke and Dak.