First 39 Starts of career- Romo/Prescott

Wizarus

Reaction score
The article you used was actually was a bad one. It was sexy because it was a game Romo threw for 500 yds and a way to prop Romo up and mention Dak struggles to throw for 200. There were many other games for you to mention that Romo threw for less yards, multiple TDs and no ints. But this one was a bad one. He threw for 500 yds but threw a pick with less 2 min which was virtually the game ending pick. So what good did the 500 yds do? Like I said , look at what Romo was playing with that day compared to what Dak has now. It's not close. That was also when they were throwing the **** out if the ball. Dak will never be the gun slinger like Romo and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Plus our team is built different and isn't pass happy like they was back then to get that 500 yd game. The next year, 2014, we changed to more of a 50/50 team. Most will say that was Romo best year . That was also his lowest passing yds per game in his career. So throwing for 500 yd games isn't a must and doesn't mean if a qb throws for 500 yds he's less likely to blame than one who throws for less than 200. If one throws for 5 tds , 500 yds and the game ending pick and the other throws for 150, no tds and no ints and the team loses , they both are equally to blame .

Edit: sorry I didn't paragraph this out but i just got through watching my son's high school film from tonight and I'm tired and going to bed. Lol
Its Romo's fault we lost when he threw for 500 yards and not this terrible team who cant find a way to close the game out when Romo threw for 500 yards. No one ever talks about the pick Manning threw in that game either?

mcmvp

Reaction score
Did I mention passer rating? That can be just as deceiving. I don’t judge QBs solely on stats. I watch them play...and I pay particular attention to how defenses game plan for QBs/offenses. That tells you more about which QBs are feared/respected than any stats do.

Agree. If there are any QB stats worth paying attention to they are 3rd down and redzone efficiency, and TD:INT ratio

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
A few notes:

* I was and will always be an ardent Romo Fanatic.
* Posting these to hopefully put into perspective our current qb
*Romo's first start happened mid season in year 3 of his career at the age of 26. Dak is still 25. These numbers represent the first 39 starts of their respective careers, not including playoffs.
*Romo's weapons were 2006- Owens + Glenn (both 1000 yards), Prime Witten, Crayton as 33rd wr, Barber and JJ (combined for 1800+ and 18tds) 2007- same minus Glenn, 2008- Mostly same, add Bennett, Felix jones, remove JJ.

*Dak's weapons in passing not close to what Romo was working with, Dak did have better OL at least one year and Zeke.
Romo- In a more wide open passing offense vs heavy run offense for Dak.

Romo

815 completions, 1280 attempts- 63.67% 10,300 yards, 8.0 YPA, 78 TDs, 43 Ints, 95 Rating, 63 sacks, 263 rush yards, 2 rush tds

Prescott

747 completions, 1155 attempts, 64.7%, 8408 yards, 7.3 ypa, 53 TDs, 21 ints, 94 rating, 80 sacks, 875 rush yards, 14 rush tds

My takeways: Dak's completion percentage is actually higher than Romo's. Does this mean Romo was inaccurate? More than twice the interceptions in about 100 more attempts, was Romo's "spatial awareness" still developing? Dak sacked at a much higher rate. 80 tds for Romo to 67 for Dak. Qb rating very similar.

Total yards: 10,563 for Romo. Dak, 9,283.

You want to do a fair assessment? Take away Dak's 13-3 start...since Romo was telling him where to throw the football. :rolleyes:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Its Romo's fault we lost when he threw for 500 yards and not this terrible team who cant find a way to close the game out when Romo threw for 500 yards. No one ever talks about the pick Manning threw in that game either?
that INT room threw had a OLinemen driven back into him and hit him slightly as he was trying to follow through..thats not Romos fault.. that was great game by Romo..he went blow for blow with the best at the time offense and QB in the league..

Hadenough

Reaction score
A few notes:

* I was and will always be an ardent Romo Fanatic.
* Posting these to hopefully put into perspective our current qb
*Romo's first start happened mid season in year 3 of his career at the age of 26. Dak is still 25. These numbers represent the first 39 starts of their respective careers, not including playoffs.
*Romo's weapons were 2006- Owens + Glenn (both 1000 yards), Prime Witten, Crayton as 33rd wr, Barber and JJ (combined for 1800+ and 18tds) 2007- same minus Glenn, 2008- Mostly same, add Bennett, Felix jones, remove JJ.

*Dak's weapons in passing not close to what Romo was working with, Dak did have better OL at least one year and Zeke.
Romo- In a more wide open passing offense vs heavy run offense for Dak.

Romo

815 completions, 1280 attempts- 63.67% 10,300 yards, 8.0 YPA, 78 TDs, 43 Ints, 95 Rating, 63 sacks, 263 rush yards, 2 rush tds

Prescott

747 completions, 1155 attempts, 64.7%, 8408 yards, 7.3 ypa, 53 TDs, 21 ints, 94 rating, 80 sacks, 875 rush yards, 14 rush tds

My takeways: Dak's completion percentage is actually higher than Romo's. Does this mean Romo was inaccurate? More than twice the interceptions in about 100 more attempts, was Romo's "spatial awareness" still developing? Dak sacked at a much higher rate. 80 tds for Romo to 67 for Dak. Qb rating very similar.

Total yards: 10,563 for Romo. Dak, 9,283.
Let’s just throw out each guys first 16 games and then look at what we have. Daks first 16 games was smoke and mirrors. Defenses gave him everything underneath playing to his strength.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Enough about the Denver game for god sakes. We lost. Who cares how their stats were?
It was week 4 vs. an AFC team, not a playoff game.

Last edited:

Ken

Reaction score
Let’s just throw out each guys first 16 games and then look at what we have. Daks first 16 games was smoke and mirrors. Defenses gave him everything underneath playing to his strength.
ok...then i will throw out romos 07 because he had super bowl talent around him.

This is fun...

Gator88

Reaction score
Both are deceiving. Passer rating has Romo top 5. Proof it is flawed.
It's not perfect, but if you use it to compare contemporaries, it isn't terrible. Obviously there isn't a stat that does a great job of measuring QB play alone or that would be what people use.

is that why so many are over 100 rating?

We just have so much great qb play huh?
Obviously rule changes over the years have made it easier on QBs, so it is best used to compare players that played in the same time period which it does a decent job at. Far better than qbr which uses arbitrary grading to make the numbers say whatever they want.

Hadenough

Reaction score
ok...then i will throw out romos 07 because he had super bowl talent around him.

This is fun...
That works for me! Now we can view Dak for who he really is. A 4th round project that has the arm of a high school kid.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Can somebody tell me the season that Romo had a mediocre team around him, and then carried that team to anything significant?

I loved Romo but come on. The way some people talk about him around here, you would think he was a perfect QB from the start. That he held absolutely no responsibility in any of the teams failures.

Likewise for the people revising history to make Romo seem worse than he was. Romo was a very good QB for quite a while.

There is a lot of revisionist history going on in this thread.

Every QB needs a team around them to win games.

Dak isn’t playing well enough right now either. He needs to be better. He needs to improve to make it long term. But people also going back and revising history to make it seem like he didn’t play well in 2016? That’s BS too. Watch the damn games and you can see Dak making plays all season long.

This thread is ridiculous.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I don’t understand why Romo is the bar Dak. This team needs pedigree at QB. They haven’t won anything since they had a 1st round QB.

Ken

Reaction score
That works for me! Now we can view Dak for who he really is. A 4th round project that has the arm of a high school kid.
Wrong. Just say that you have no idea what you are talking about and we can move on...

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Evidently you don’t have an eye for talent when it comes to QBs. I hate to break it to you but the Cowboys will never win anything with Dak as the QB!
What does this post have to do with 2006?