First 39 Starts of career- Romo/Prescott

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Posts like this are why you have to actually watch the games and not just look at stats. Why not throw up Aikman's first 3 years as well so you can conclude Romo and Dak were both better QBs? Or Staubach, lets use stats to prove Roger is really the 3rd best QB in cowboy history. Right numskulls?

I think most reasonable people can conclude that Dak was fantastic as a rookie but hasn't yet lived up to that promise he showed when he was breaking rookie QB records. The arrow is not currently pointing up on him. Watch the games.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Posts like this are why you have to actually watch the games and not just look at stats. Why not throw up Aikman's first 3 years as well so you can conclude Romo and Dak were both better QBs? Or Staubach, lets use stats to prove Roger is really the 3rd best QB in cowboy history. Right numskulls?

I think most reasonable people can conclude that Dak was fantastic as a rookie but hasn't yet lived up to that promise he showed when he was breaking rookie QB records. The arrow is not currently pointing up on him. Watch the games.
The 1st 3 seasons is all we have to compare, unless you seriously think it makes sense to compare 3 seasons to a career.
It's fair to add that the offense itself isn't what it was in 2016. Prescott included.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
So you agree Dez is TO, but then continue to compare them? Holy christ dude.
Owens WAS elite at his mid 30's and Braynt IS washed up. SO?

Owens at 35 is still elite, while Bryant at 27, 28, 29 or 30 is not. Get over it. Bryant hasn't played at a high level in over 4 seasons. And, he's not even playing so MAYBE HE'S NOT THAT GOOD ANYMORE!!!! IT HAPPENS!!!! He was a nightmare anyway.

I loved Romo and he connect on a high level with a handful of WRs, so what?
You can have the last word (and I know you will), this is stupid. have fun.

The obvious point is I think part of the reason people thought Bryant was washed up was because he didn’t have a guy who could get on the ball down field after Romo was gone

As I stated earlier, this factually undeniable statement, in 2006 Owens was on pace for 876 yards when bledsoe was the quarterback

Bryant had 838 yards in 2017

I am not saying Dez Bryant Was better than Owens. I am dogmatically saying that if Bryant had a quarterback who could take advantage of him he would still be producing at a fairly high-level

If you are a high-level wide receiver talent you would be an absolute idiot to come play for the Cowboys as long is Prescott is the quarterback. By doing so you are significantly lowering your market value. If I’m Cole Beasley, I’m scared to death right now. The team has a first round pick in vested in Cooper, so the odds are he’s not going to be the next scapegoat

That means if the Cooper acquisition doesn’t save our passing game, Beasley is the next on the chopping block

I am genuinely curious to see how many quality wide receivers get their careers destroyed by this guy before they figure out what the real problem is

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
A few notes:

* I was and will always be an ardent Romo Fanatic.
* Posting these to hopefully put into perspective our current qb
*Romo's first start happened mid season in year 3 of his career at the age of 26. Dak is still 25. These numbers represent the first 39 starts of their respective careers, not including playoffs.
*Romo's weapons were 2006- Owens + Glenn (both 1000 yards), Prime Witten, Crayton as 33rd wr, Barber and JJ (combined for 1800+ and 18tds) 2007- same minus Glenn, 2008- Mostly same, add Bennett, Felix jones, remove JJ.

*Dak's weapons in passing not close to what Romo was working with, Dak did have better OL at least one year and Zeke.
Romo- In a more wide open passing offense vs heavy run offense for Dak.

Romo

815 completions, 1280 attempts- 63.67% 10,300 yards, 8.0 YPA, 78 TDs, 43 Ints, 95 Rating, 63 sacks, 263 rush yards, 2 rush tds

Prescott

747 completions, 1155 attempts, 64.7%, 8408 yards, 7.3 ypa, 53 TDs, 21 ints, 94 rating, 80 sacks, 875 rush yards, 14 rush tds

My takeways: Dak's completion percentage is actually higher than Romo's. Does this mean Romo was inaccurate? More than twice the interceptions in about 100 more attempts, was Romo's "spatial awareness" still developing? Dak sacked at a much higher rate. 80 tds for Romo to 67 for Dak. Qb rating very similar.

Total yards: 10,563 for Romo. Dak, 9,283.
Bloody brave you are.

Back when Romo was our offense..

no All Pro OL

no All Pro RB

no All Pro WRs other than TO's appearance which was brief

Witten was the focus of the passing game..

No defense to protect leads..

Romo was the whole show.

He made the most with what he had and we accepted it becuz..

there was nobody else.

Now with DAK their is all manner of support for him Romo never had.

This raises expectations to unreasonable levels.

Personally, I have watched too much football to get crazy about wanting DAK replaced.

He has to blend his own style of play with the game plan before we know who we have at QB.

This has yet to happen consistently under Linehan.

He is a pocket passing OC which DAK is not.

So either this all changes or coaches are going to be looking for jobs.

DAK ain't leaving nor is Garrett.

And Jerrah has stated he doesn't want to start over with a new HC.

So its easy to see what is going to happen.

As fans we are tied to the mast and forced to watch everything unfold.

Can somebody give me some of that popcorn and some koolaid so I can watch it all in peace?

:popcorn:

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The obvious point is I think part of the reason people thought Bryant was washed up was because he didn’t have a guy who could get on the ball down field after Romo was gone

As I stated earlier, this factually undeniable statement, in 2006 Owens was on pace for 876 yards when bledsoe was the quarterback

Bryant had 838 yards in 2017

I am not saying Dez Bryant Was better than Owens. I am dogmatically saying that if Bryant had a quarterback who could take advantage of him he would still be producing at a fairly high-level

If you are a high-level wide receiver talent you would be an absolute idiot to come play for the Cowboys as long is Prescott is the quarterback. By doing so you are significantly lowering your market value. If I’m Cole Beasley, I’m scared to death right now. The team has a first round pick in vested in Cooper, so the odds are he’s not going to be the next scapegoat

That means if the Cooper acquisition doesn’t save our passing game, Beasley is the next on the chopping block

I am genuinely curious to see how many quality wide receivers get their careers destroyed by this guy before they figure out what the real problem is
No, most fans who aren't biased one way or the other wouldn't be defending Bryant to prop up Romo like he was some legend HOF'r.
"If Bryant only had a QB......" Blah blah blah. So none of the 32 QBs are good enough but he was the latest Prescott scapegoat, lmao.

Speaking of Cole Beasely, Prescott got more production out of him than Romo ever did, so according to your "logic" that means what?

Some QBs and WRs click, that's how it works.

If Bryant was employed and productive you MAY have a point, but he's not.

You're blaming Prescott for ruining Bryant's career. Good god sir, did you see anything that Bryant did himself? You have derailed. This is just silly.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Dak is a victim of his early success... he benefited from being in a great situation, and he stepped up, played within himself and delivered a spectacular rookie year.

Now— expectations have been set, his surrounding cast is not as good as 2016– defenses have adjusted— and Dak looks much more mortal.

IMO— Dak is not as good as his rookie year, nor is he as bad as his last 16 games. He is still developing, but the next 9 games will reveal a lot about which direction his arrow is pointing.

Romo and Dak are different types of QBs— but one fact is indisputable— Romo had the benefit of several years of learning before being the starter while Dak has not.

Just to add a little something to what you said. Prescott's rookie year he had the benefit of a great line and also Elliott lead the league in rushing. Now Prescott has only 40% of that line and that has had a bad effect on both him and Elliott. Prescott has already been sacked more time this season than all of 2016. Now some, not that much is due to holding the ball to long but he also did that as a rookie and wasn't sacked very often. This season he has dropped back and hasn't had time to even get past his first read and has been sacked. That's not Prescott's fault, that's O-line's fault.

Sydla

Reaction score
Very simple.

Start proving it now. Start showing improvement over the 2nd half of the season. He's a 3rd year QB, not some rookie. The inexperience excuses grow weaker by the game.

I also think people are willing or thinking Dak is better than he really is because their fandom is kicking in and they don't want to even consider the possibility what this franchise looks like if Dak isn't that franchise QB. Finding one isn't easy and franchises have wandered aimlessly for seasons trying to find one.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
No, most fans who aren't biased one way or the other wouldn't be defending Bryant to prop up Romo like he was some legend HOF'r.
"If Bryant only had a QB......" Blah blah blah. So none of the 32 QBs are good enough but he was the latest Prescott scapegoat, lmao.

Speaking of Cole Beasely, Prescott got more production out of him than Romo ever did, so according to your "logic" that means what?

Some QBs and WRs click, that's how it works.

If Bryant was employed and productive you MAY have a point, but he's not.

You're blaming Prescott for ruining Bryant's career. Good god sir, did you see anything that Bryant did himself? You have derailed. This is just silly.

I thought I was going to get the last word, according to your previous posts.

And Dez produced big time when he had a guy who could feed him the ball in the right spots. That's undeniable. He had a 3-4 year stretch that was as good as anyone in the leauge not named Antonio Brown during that period.

One more time. Dez, at his best, wasn't as good as Owens. Owens was a better receiver than Dez, no question.
Dez, however, produced. Big time. Right up until Romo went down. Just a simple fact. Whether you like it or not, it's a fact that is out there, on record.

And yes, Beasley produced big time in 2016. Prescott's one shining year that he's still living off of.
How's Cole's produce last season? Not as good.... Are you going to tell me you haven't heard the murmurs that he's not getting open from people looking to blame anyone but Dak?

Heck, remember how badly Beasley got mocked about a month ago when he went to the media and flat out said that he was getting open but was being missed? Surely you haven't forgotten that....

Believe me, he's next. if things don't pick up, he's next. And he seems to know it. Hence the comments to the media.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Very simple.

Start proving it now. Start showing improvement over the 2nd half of the season. He's a 3rd year QB, not some rookie. The inexperience excuses grow weaker by the game.

I also think people are willing or thinking Dak is better than he really is because their fandom is kicking in and they don't want to even consider the possibility what this franchise looks like if Dak isn't that franchise QB. Finding one isn't easy and franchises have wandered aimlessly for seasons trying to find one.

This sentiment is intensified by the fact that we jettisoned a legitimate franchise quarterback to pave the way for Dak.

There's a lot more than a 4th round pick and $500K a year invested in this guy.
There are a lot of people in team management, the fanbase, etc, that are going to have a helluva lot of egg of their face when this thing eventually completely fizzles out.

He was the promised messiah. He was the chosen one. He made Romo, Witten, Dez, all of them, expendable. He was that good. Just give it time.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
This sentiment is intensified by the fact that we jettisoned a legitimate franchise quarterback to pave the way for Dak.

There's a lot more than a 4th round pick and $500K a year invested in this guy.
There are a lot of people in team management, the fanbase, etc, that are going to have a helluva lot of egg of their face when this thing eventually completely fizzles out.

He was the promised messiah. He was the chosen one. He made Romo, Witten, Dez, all of them, expendable. He was that good. Just give it time.
We needed to move on from Romo the Monday following his last injury when it was determined he was missing half the season again, regardless of how Dak played that year. No way should the team have risked millions of salary cap space for someone that unreliable. Romo made himself expendable with his injuries.

Dez started sucking in 2014 playoffs as a no show dropping an important 4th down pass, and sucked in 2015 with all QBs including Romo.

And Jason Quitten was still Witten.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
We needed to move on from Romo the Monday following his last injury when it was determined he was missing half the season again, regardless of how Dak played that year. No way should the team have risked millions of salary cap space for someone that unreliable. Romo made himself expendable with his injuries.

That's one opinion. Admittedly, it's a more valid one than "We found our new franchise QB" so let's cut Romo.

I don't agree with your reasoning but the reality is, the team didn't cut Romo for the reasons you mentioned.
They let him go because they (mainly, Garrett) were convinced they had a once in a lifetime guy in Prescott.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Oops! You're right, my fault.

that was supposed to be a humorous comment.... I'm actually enjoying the debate.
Keep it coming. You don't think Cole knows the score?

Why go to the media like he did, otherwise?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
That's one opinion. Admittedly, it's a more valid one than "We found our new franchise QB" so let's cut Romo.

I don't agree with your reasoning but the reality is, the team didn't cut Romo for the reasons you mentioned.
They let him go because they (mainly, Garrett) were convinced they had a once in a lifetime guy in Prescott.
Do you have a reference to this idea?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
that was supposed to be a humorous comment.... I'm actually enjoying the debate.
Keep it coming. You don't think Cole knows the score?

Why go to the media like he did, otherwise?
The media stunt was to boost his rap career?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

Dez started sucking in 2014 playoffs as a no show dropping an important 4th down pass, and sucked in 2015 with all QBs including Romo.

And Jason Quitten was still Witten.
I tend to roll my eyes when fans suggest Prescott ruined Bryant's career or that his production drop off had nothing to do with his own actions.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Lol fans crying about a fair comparison. You’re comparing a guy who sat on the bench and got to learn for a few years with a HOF coach to a guy thrown into the fire with an average coach.

I could care less who’s the QB because I don’t really get attached to certain players. For some reason this fan base falls in love with guys. Very weird IMO.
one came from a division II program and was UDFA, the other played in Major college program and his team was ranked #1 at one point and he was a Heisman candidate....

I didn't know Parcells directly coached Romo during practices, I thought Parcells was the head coach and coached offense, defense and special teams...interesting take....