First 39 Starts of career- Romo/Prescott

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I think it's blown out of proportion. I can't give you a scenario asking you if you would do the same because I don't think you're being fair and will just suggest Romo got screwed.

I'm not going to comment on whether or not Romo got screwed because that's really not pertinent to this discussion.
But I will say, I don't think the best interests of the team were served.

if you have an established vet with years of rapport with basically the entire offense other than Zeke who is cleared to play--I don't see any harm in opening up the competition and letting both guys have a shot to make their play for the job. This "hot hand" scenario (as it played out) totally ignored the fact that Dak was actually the #3 guy coming out of camp (behind Moore as well).
It's not as if it was some close contest between him and Romo in camp and Tony barely won out.

Dak couldn't even supplant Moore as the primary clipboard holder in an open competition. And I wouldn't expect him to. He was a 4th round rookie. There's a learning curve. I get that.

But Moore snaps his ankle, Romo gets a back injury, and Prescott (admittedly) plays extremely well when given an opportunity.
And that's it? 10 games, case closed. "Yah Tony, I know you're the guy who holds every franchise passing record but sorry, adios pal. We've got this guy who played really well for a few months. We're really not interested at all in having you anywhere near the field."

Sorry, that's not in the best interests of the team. Any coach or organization worth their salt might have considered that as well as Dak played, that the verdict was still somewhat out and it might have been a good idea to keep your options open and at least give Romo another look.

Did Tony "get screwed"? I dunno. You tell me. But I think in retrospect, the team did. And that should bother all of us.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Lmao. "Week 5 vs and AFC team in which we lost, never forget."

Right, so why not look at part 2

Cowboys defense, first five games in 2018. 96 points allowed. 1690 yards allowed. Total

Cowboys defense, that one game vs Denver. 51 points allowed, 517 yards allowed.

So there's that.....

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm not going to comment on whether or not Romo got screwed because that's really not pertinent to this discussion.
But I will say, I don't think the best interests of the team were served.

if you have an established vet with years of rapport with basically the entire offense other than Zeke who is cleared to play--I don't see any harm in opening up the competition and letting both guys have a shot to make their play for the job. This "hot hand" scenario (as it played out) totally ignored the fact that Dak was actually the #3 guy coming out of camp (behind Moore as well).
It's not as if it was some close contest between him and Romo in camp and Tony barely won out.

Dak couldn't even supplant Moore as the primary clipboard holder in an open competition. And I wouldn't expect him to. He was a 4th round rookie. There's a learning curve. I get that.

But Moore snaps his ankle, Romo gets a back injury, and Prescott (admittedly) plays extremely well when given an opportunity.
And that's it? 10 games, case closed. "Yah Tony, I know you're the guy who holds every franchise passing record but sorry, adios pal. We've got this guy who played really well for a few months. We're really not interested at all in having you anywhere near the field."

Sorry, that's not in the best interests of the team. Any coach or organization worth their salt might have considered that as well as Dak played, that the verdict was still somewhat out and it might have been a good idea to keep your options open and at least give Romo another look.

Did Tony "get screwed"? I dunno. You tell me. But I think in retrospect, the team did. And that should bother all of us.
Not having a great camp or practicing better than Moore really isn't a point I would use. It's fairly common knowledge that Prescott was never outstanding in practice. And, Moore knew the system.
I would be with you that Romo MAY have won as many games, but MAYBE not. If you're suggesting Moore would have done as well, well this is where I start laughing.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
If Romo didn't quit, he would have gotten the job back in 2017. Even in retirement, Romo disappoints. :muttley:

Reactions: G2

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Not having a great camp or practicing better than Moore really isn't a point I would use. It's fairly common knowledge that Prescott was never outstanding in practice. And, Moore knew the system.
I would be with you that Romo MAY have won as many games, but MAYBE not. If you're suggesting Moore would have done as well, well this is where I start laughing.

No, I'm not suggesting Moore would have done better than Dak.

I am dogmatically saying that until he broke his ankle, he was ahead of Dak on the depth chart.
Undeniable truth.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Right, so why not look at part 2

Cowboys defense, first five games in 2018. 96 points allowed. 1690 yards allowed. Total

Cowboys defense, that one game vs Denver. 51 points allowed, 517 yards allowed.

So there's that.....
Man, you guys like to compare ridiculous, made up scenarios. Without even considering the other facets of the team. Like O line.

5 games to the Denver game? Silly.

Wins are what count, right?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No, I'm not suggesting Moore would have done better than Dak.

I am dogmatically saying that until he broke his ankle, he was ahead of Dak on the depth chart.
Undeniable truth.
So? What's your point? The 1st and 2nd QB couldn't stay on the field?

I agree. Huge issues.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Man, you guys like to compare ridiculous, made up scenarios. Without even considering the other facets of the team. Like O line.

5 games to the Denver game? Silly.

Wins are what count, right?

Absolutely.

And what we have tonight is 2 teams with top 3 scoring defenses, that have losing records. That's pretty frigging embarassing.

How come nobody is talking about what a stud Mariota is and how his poor blocking and horrible coaches are ruining him? LOL

BoysForLife

Reaction score
So? What's your point? The 1st and 2nd QB couldn't stay on the field?

I agree. Huge issues.

I think my point is clear and the reality that you are attempting to change the subject as quickly as possible speaks volumes.

Garrett got swept up in euphoria and made a mistake. And it's costing the team. That isn't good.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Absolutely.

And what we have tonight is 2 teams with top 3 scoring defenses, that have losing records. That's pretty frigging embarassing.

How come nobody is talking about what a stud Mariota is? LOL
Again, you're assuming it's all on the QB or that I'm suggesting Prescott is playing like a stud.

I'm saying the entire offense is underachieving, not making pointless comparisons to a player who retired years ago.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think my point is clear and the reality that you are attempting to change the subject as quickly as possible speaks volumes.

Garrett got swept up in euphoria and made a mistake. And it's costing the team. That isn't good.
Romo last helped us win games in 2014... so you are so far beyond reaching that it isn't even healthy.

Like seriously, fans with this hot take should go ahead and get a therapist.

Romo lost his job because he could NOT play in 2015 or 2016.
Starting QB out for the majority of 2 consecutive years at age 35 and 36 is not someone you can count on going forward.

The team went with Dak for the future as any sane individual would have done.

The only questionable call was not giving Tony the chance to finish the season.
I would have done that personally.
But in 2017 it was always going to be a sad goodbye.
And at least this way, Tony walked away, not crawled or limped.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I didn't intend to make out that the Cowboys would have definitely made the Superbowl in 2016 but i'm convinced that they would have beaten the Packers and the team was built to beat the Falcons at home - whether they would have done is another question of course.

The offense had a stronger offensive line and a better running back in 2016. Plus without wanting to sound like Skip Bayless (dear God), the defense had Sean Lee which all joking aside makes a huge difference having your team's best defensive player.

The offensive line wasn’t better in 2016.

You can think whatever you want. I’m just saying it was far far far from a guarantee the cowboys win the Super Bowl even with Romo playing.

That “stringer defense” with Sean Lee starting, got its butt kicked all game long by Aaron Rodgers and the packers offense in the playoff loss.

I have no reason To believe the defense would fare any better against Atlanta or New England, the two teams they would have had to beat after the packers. Both with awesome offenses.

I don’t think the team with that defense, wins the Super Bowl either way. But we will never know.

The offense in 2014 and 2016 had no room for error due to our crappy defenses.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Class exercise....
Name all of the players on our current offense that you feel will make the Pro Bowl and/or go All Pro.
What accolades will the coaching staff receive?

HungryLion

Reaction score
We need to hold a wake, so the board can put Romo’s career behind them and we can all move on.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Obviously you missed my posts in this thread detailing all of the talent around romo during this time period.
Now why would I do that?

There is a fine line b/w missing and agreeing.

Romo had the 3rd best HC in Dallas history in Parcells with Landry and Jimmy as #1 & #2.

Parcells and Sean Payton had a lot to do with Romo.

Romo Friendly was a mantra as is DAK friendly now with DAK.

We suffered for years with Romo always falling short.

This is only DAK's 3rd year.

I remain patient as he needs a lot more snaps and game situations.

I have no ax to grind with Romo.

I actually was unhappy they didn't take a QB at #1.

We all knew we needed a young player at the position.

I never believed DAK would play like he did in 2016.

Now he has flattened out with all the upheaval.

The next obstacle is getting a quality TE as DAK has always leaned on the position.

Schultz needs to play. We need to know if he is the future at TE.

I would like to see him and Rico start and alternate.

Jarwin is OK as is Swaim.

But they are not weapons.

So we need to figure it out so DAK can get back to quality play.

uvaballa

Reaction score
one came from a division II program and was UDFA, the other played in Major college program and his team was ranked #1 at one point and he was a Heisman candidate....

I didn't know Parcells directly coached Romo during practices, I thought Parcells was the head coach and coached offense, defense and special teams...interesting take....
Sitting on the bench in the NFL is much better than any college experience. I don’t care about heisman candidates. Many heisman winners and candidates have flamed out.

The HC doesn’t have a coach a player specifically to have an impact on them. Do you think Belicheck is coaching Brady every practice?

Ken

Reaction score
Absolutely.

How come nobody is talking about what a stud Mariota is and how his poor blocking and horrible coaches are ruining him? LOL
Because it obvious and they are not the cowboys.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Sitting on the bench in the NFL is much better than any college experience. I don’t care about heisman candidates. Many heisman winners and candidates have flamed out.

The HC doesn’t have a coach a player specifically to have an impact on them. Do you think Belicheck is coaching Brady every practice?
there are some QBs who sit, some who start right away and there is mixed results for both. Aikman started right away and did fine. Rodgers sat on the bench and he is doing fine. Newton started right away, so did brees. brady sat behind Bledsoe.... Couch started right away and flamed out, there are many others who sat and then got to start and flamed out....

it depends on the QB and his situation. Dak benefited from playing with one of the best OLs in the league and 1600 yard rusher in the backfield....and couple of good recievers.... Dak's flaws still exists after 3 years and are exactly what his college scouting report was.....the only change is that the team around him is not as strong, so him being a bus driver can't carry the team.

uvaballa

Reaction score
there are some QBs who sit, some who start right away and there is mixed results for both. Aikman started right away and did fine. Rodgers sat on the bench and he is doing fine. Newton started right away, so did brees. brady sat behind Bledsoe.... Couch started right away and flamed out, there are many others who sat and then got to start and flamed out....

it depends on the QB and his situation. Dak benefited from playing with one of the best OLs in the league and 1600 yard rusher in the backfield....and couple of good recievers.... Dak's flaws still exists after 3 years and are exactly what his college scouting report was.....the only change is that the team around him is not as strong, so him being a bus driver can't carry the team.

That 2007 team was just as strong probably stronger than the 2016 IMO. That’s all I’m saying. They had way better impact players.

Romo is definitely a better passer hands down. But I’m not going to make excuses for him coming up short either. I don’t care who the QB is the team still has to play better.

GB has the so called best QB and they come up short every year except once. Not sure why you can’t see having the best QB means you win SBs.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That 2007 team was just as strong probably stronger than the 2016 IMO. That’s all I’m saying. They had way better impact players.

Romo is definitely a better passer hands down. But I’m not going to make excuses for him coming up short either. I don’t care who the QB is the team still has to play better.

GB has the so called best QB and they come up short every year except once. Not sure why you can’t see having the best QB means you win SBs.
not as talent along the OL or the backfield.