First 39 Starts of career- Romo/Prescott

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Romo was good enough...clearly. He played like a top 10 QB for most of his career and had a few top 5 QB seasons. Stating this wasn't "good enough" when players like Eli Manning has won a Super Bowl is ridiculous.

Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, Tony Romo, etc. may not be on the level of Rodgers, Brees, and Brady but they are/were certainly talented enough to win a Super Bowl. Sadly, there are other players on the field and some luck involved in this sport. I know, that is difficult for you folks to get.
What were the few seasons you would consider top 5?

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Imagine Dak trying to bring up his 2016 season in contract talks. Stephen and Jerry will laugh him out of the room.
Tbh I bet peeps will still be bringing up the 2016 season in 2019 and beyond. Lol.
It’s over with, let’s evaluate the most recent data.

:thumbup: I agree w you

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Ask yourselves this,

Third and long, how did you feel when Romo took the snap verses Dak?

Or, down by two scores in the fourth?

Did you feel excited that there was at least a chance that Romo could work his magic and get it done?

Do you feel the same about Dak?

tm1119

Reaction score
I think you have to start with identifying what the criteria he is to be judge upon is. Is it simply wins and losses because that, to me, is more on the coaching staff then on Dak. Is it improvement? If that's it, that's fine but lets be honest and evaluate him based on the idea that we are trying to make him into Tom Brady and not allowing him to be Dak Prescott. These are not excuses, these are simple realities. None of it is fair. It is what it is.

Since you are looking for an answer to your question of when will it be fair, I will give you the obvious. It will be fair when our coaching staff is made up of qualified personnel. If at that time, they come in and say, Dak has to go on day one, then it will be time. Till then, I don't trust this coaching staff to know one way or the other.

JMO

The coaching staff can’t read a defense for Dak, the coaching staff can’t handle the pressure for Dak, the coaching staff can’t make Dak release the ball on time.

Don’t get me wrong, our coaching staff sucks, but a lot of Dak’s problems are on Dak. And let’s not pretend that these aren’t all problems that weren’t on every scouting report on Dak coming out of college. He played in a gimmicky offense that didn’t prepare him for the NFL. How he and the coaching staff figured out how to mask his issues so well in 2016 is the REAL mystery to me. But to me his footwork, timing and ability to read a D on the fly is haunting him and causing him to struggle. Can it be corrected? Sure, it’s definitely possible. Just wish I had faith in it happening....

Nav22

Reaction score
It’s hilarious reading all of these “experts” count out a 25-year-old QB who’s had the success Dak has already had in his young career.

Know-nothings.

He’s got a real shot to be our long-term guy. He started out this season slowly but has started to look like 2016 Dak in recent weeks. I expect him to keep that going Monday night.

Reactions: Ken

Number1

Reaction score
Just let me know when it's fair to judge Dak.

This is a pointless debate anymore because the pro-Dak crowd simply just has a list of excuses for any and all of his issues.

So at this point, just let me know when the clock actually starts on when we can judge Dak. It will save me a lot of time.

dude, the clock started with his Dak's 1st NFL start

let us know when you have an objective point of view

here's what I've seen

good

- never missed a start from day one
- can buy time and create
- has a monster arm (don't kid yourself he has as much gun as any)
- very stout and will run over any DB in the open field
- takes care of the ball ... a 1.9 INT% through 2.5 years, most INTs literally came off the hands of targets
*** throws very few dumb passes ***
- good demeanor, rarely panics or goes brain dead

bad

- doesn't seem to audible enough, needs to go more play action deep
- short touch can be an adventure
- slow to sync with new targets (so far in 2018 with guys on the team last year 70%+ on targets, under 50% with new faces)
- his drop is often way to fast, allows DBs too much read time before targets get to their first break (that's a major issue)
- getting twitchy after 48 sacks in the last 15 games (got spoiled as a rook)
- too casual with the ball on the move, need to keep both hands on the ball

overall a heck of an athlete and solid leader. handles the glass house of the DCs quite well

why do you see a disaster?
you're kinda extreme about it - what's your "excuse"?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Without pressure, the average passer rating is about 100. Prescott has been below that average the last two seasons, because he's had stretches where he was WAY below average.

Prescott's passer rating
attempts with no pressure
2016 118.0

2017 (games 1-8) 105.8
2017 (games 9-16) 82.2

2018 (games 1-3) 78.6
2018 (games 4-7) 100.5

tm1119

Reaction score
Imagine Dak trying to bring up his 2016 season in contract talks. Stephen and Jerry will laugh him out of the room.

You say that with confidence like we didn’t just trade a 1st round pick for a WR that hasn’t been good since 2016....every other team you have a perfectly valid point. But with Jerry and Stephen...ehh, wouldn’t be too confident

Nav22

Reaction score
Ask yourselves this,

Third and long, how did you feel when Romo took the snap verses Dak?

Or, down by two scores in the fourth?

Did you feel excited that there was at least a chance that Romo could work his magic and get it done?

Do you feel the same about Dak?
Did you miss our most recent game?

Down 2 scores in the 4th, on the road, with zero run game and terrible OL play. How’d Dak do again?

Oh right, he played well enough to force OT.

LOL why does Dak have to be compared to Romo anyways? Is that the bar? Anyone worse than Romo is unacceptable? Besides, Romo was a tremendous QB but he had 3 years to watch and learn.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Great to work which actually should shut up some haters. But of course they will not. You can see that by just scrolling down the fan zone page. All negativity!
You old parents that just learned the word hater need to stop overusing the word out of context. Just because someone doesn't think Dak is good doesn't make them a hater. Stop with the lazy viewpoint.

Nav22

Reaction score
Oh, and since some of you can’t help yourselves with the Romo comparisons, Romo was also WAY better than Dak at suffering catastrophic injuries.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The coaching staff can’t read a defense for Dak, the coaching staff can’t handle the pressure for Dak, the coaching staff can’t make Dak release the ball on time.

Don’t get me wrong, our coaching staff sucks, but a lot of Dak’s problems are on Dak. And let’s not pretend that these aren’t all problems that weren’t on every scouting report on Dak coming out of college. He played in a gimmicky offense that didn’t prepare him for the NFL. How he and the coaching staff figured out how to mask his issues so well in 2016 is the REAL mystery to me. But to me his footwork, timing and ability to read a D on the fly is haunting him and causing him to struggle. Can it be corrected? Sure, it’s definitely possible. Just wish I had faith in it happening....

The Coaching staff can put him in an Offense that allows him to take advantage of his skills, instead of installing an Offense that does not use his natural abilities to their full potential, force him to re-learn the position.

The coaching staff can recognize the simplest of truths. Simple things like, the WR talent we had to start the season was not going to ever get it done. Simple truths like, deciding not to allow time for Dak to play with the new WRs in preseason was idiocy at the highest level. I mean, how in Blue Hell do you come to that realization when you are teaching this kid a new Offense and you have new receivers at starting positions?

What version of the truth do you want to focus on here? All of what I said above is true. None of that was fair or even kinda smart. Hard for me to lay it on Dak when you have all of this going on. Am I saying that Dak is the answer? No, I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is that you can't come to any conclusion, one way or the other, when we have such a broken leadership running things.

That's all I'm saying.

Sydla

Reaction score
dude, the clock started with his Dak's 1st NFL start

let us know when you have an objective point of view

here's what I've seen

good

- never missed a start from day one
- can buy time and create
- has a monster arm (don't kid yourself he has as much gun as any)
- very stout and will run over any DB in the open field
- takes care of the ball ... a 1.9 INT% through 2.5 years, most INTs literally came off the hands of targets
*** throws very few dumb passes ***
- good demeanor, rarely panics or goes brain dead

bad

- doesn't seem to audible enough, needs to go more play action deep
- short touch can be an adventure
- slow to sync with new targets (so far in 2018 with guys on the team last year 70%+ on targets, under 50% with new faces)
- his drop is often way to fast, allows DBs too much read time before targets get to their first break (that's a major issue)
- getting twitchy after 48 sacks in the last 15 games (got spoiled as a rook)
- too casual with the ball on the move, need to keep both hands on the ball

overall a heck of an athlete and solid leader. handles the glass house of the DCs quite well

why do you see a disaster?
you're kinda extreme about it - what's your "excuse"?

Objective point of view?

So my stance that Dak is an inconsistent QB at this point in his career that is making some mistakes that largely have little to do with the WRs he is playing with or the plays called for him is not objective? That I think it's unclear at this point that he's the answer for this franchise for the next 5-7 years is not objective? That at this point, I struggle to believe it would be wise to give him a long term contract unless he improves is not objective?

I have never used the word "disaster" to describe Dak as a QB. If you want to have a debate, then at least properly understand the position of the person you are questioning.

Sydla

Reaction score
It’s hilarious reading all of these “experts” count out a 25-year-old QB who’s had the success Dak has already had in his young career.

Know-nothings.

He’s got a real shot to be our long-term guy. He started out this season slowly but has started to look like 2016 Dak in recent weeks. I expect him to keep that going Monday night.

He better. Tennessee kind of stinks.

Let's see how he performs the following week against a legit Top 5-7 NFL defense in Philadelphia. If he performs really well in that game, then maybe I'll start believe he's turning this around.

Last edited:

Little Jr

Reaction score
Just let me know when it's fair to judge Dak.

This is a pointless debate anymore because the pro-Dak crowd simply just has a list of excuses for any and all of his issues.

So at this point, just let me know when the clock actually starts on when we can judge Dak. It will save me a lot of time.
Romo was never allowed to be judge by a lot of the pro Romo crowd. So my guess it will be the same with the Dak crowd. So at that rate, 2026. Even then, no one is allowed to judge Romo from the pro Romo crowd even 2 years after he's gone so make that 2028 when you can judge him.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Why is everyone writing off Tony's time learning on the bench?

In reality it's more like:
Dak first 3 seasons: check OP for stats
Romo first 3 seasons: learned from Parcells, Bledsoe, Testaverde, etc and accumulated 0 stats except bench time.

I'm not surprised Romo developed faster once he started playing every game.

I'm 50/50 on Dak but the further this thread goes the more it turns into a head scratcher of apples-to-oranges comparisons

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
The biggest concern with Dak though is that he seems to be regressing.

His overall body of work has been fine for a QB in his 3rd year.

But the fact that his production has been getting worse since the Atlanta game, is a major cause for concern.

If he can return to his pre-Atlanta production, the team will be fine with that level of play.
His last few games he has been improving this season. Lets just hope he doesn't get PTSD when we play Atlanta this season.

Sydla

Reaction score
Did you miss our most recent game?

Down 2 scores in the 4th, on the road, with zero run game and terrible OL play. How’d Dak do again?

Oh right, he played well enough to force OT.

LOL why does Dak have to be compared to Romo anyways? Is that the bar? Anyone worse than Romo is unacceptable? Besides, Romo was a tremendous QB but he had 3 years to watch and learn.

Note, this thread making the comparison to Romo was started by one of your fellow Dak supporters.