First 8 games of 2017 vs second 8 games

Big D

Reaction score
What about the Denver game?

What about the first game of the season against the Giants? Prescott was missing wide open receivers in the endzone and had a couple INTs dropped by the defense... We won , but the offense looked bad.

What about the Cardinals game?
Palmer looked better than Prescott and were it not for 2 plays , Prescott had his career average 150 yard game with no touchdowns and constant three and outs..

In those three games , we were healthy.
In those three games, Dak showed the same warts that he did in the last 8 games of the season..

Am I living in some bizarro universe where these things didn't happen?

Mind boggling..
I believe we came out of that scenario 2-1.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stop the madness. There is no MVP talk through 8 games. That's just dumb. MVPs prove themselves in the toughest times of the year. The season doesn't start until then. So in the toughest point of the season he failed miserably. So that "talk" that you speak of was stupid, if there ever was any.

MVP talk starts in week one or two every season. Stupid or not.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Anyone have any football comments to make or do we all agree Dak wasn’t the issue in 2017?
Dak was not the only problem, but he was part of it.

I think the coaches were the main problem,
I think dak and linehan, were pressured to throw
To dez and down field and resulted in too many
Incompletions.
Also it was not just the 2nd half of season,
2 games early on hurt ,Rams,and GB.
Both were close games they should have won,
And with better coaching would have.
They lost 30-35 and 31-35
Had they won those 2 games that would make
Them 11-5 and in playoffs.
Also they started off 2-3, which was with Smith and
EE.
That is a horrible start and hard to recover from.
2016 was 4-1 it makes a difference.
I am watching the game game and Dallas had
To take a fg on first drive due to passing instead
Of running in red zone.

Jipper

Reaction score
If Dak was in the "MVP" discussions, that tells you that award is worthless..

Once Zeke was suspended the "MVP" looked like a practice squad player..

The only MVP in this team is Zeke. After last year , this discussion should be dead..

You do realize he lost his starting LT at the same time and Lee went out as well...try and go find a team that loses three all pros and doesn't struggle

HungryLion

Reaction score
What about the Denver game?

What about the first game of the season against the Giants? Prescott was missing wide open receivers in the endzone and had a couple INTs dropped by the defense... We won , but the offense looked bad.

What about the Cardinals game?
Palmer looked better than Prescott and were it not for 2 plays , Prescott had his career average 150 yard game with no touchdowns and constant three and outs..

In those three games , we were healthy.
In those three games, Dak showed the same warts that he did in the last 8 games of the season..

Am I living in some bizarro universe where these things didn't happen?

Mind boggling..

What if we remove a players two best plays from a game.... and then his stats look bad. What if.

Come on dude. You can complain about the Denver game. It was bad all around. But remove Dak’s two big plays from the cardinals game and then he only went for 150? I hate those arguments man. That’s so dumb. Dak made those plays. If you remove a players best plays you can make a lot of dudes look average.

Aven8

Reaction score
I've stated this numerous times last season, the staff gave him the reigns of the Romo offense, not the Dak offense like his rookie year. It failed with another QB at the helm like it has so many times with QB's not named Romo.

If what Dak has said all offseason is true about the changes to the RPO's etc he will be fine. But if Linny gets complacent like he did last season, this is set up to fail.

starcity214

Reaction score
What if we remove a players two best plays from a game.... and then his stats look bad. What if.

Come on dude. You can complain about the Denver game. It was bad all around. But remove Dak’s two big plays from the cardinals game and then he only went for 150? I hate those arguments man. That’s so dumb. Dak made those plays. If you remove a players best plays you can make a lot of dudes look average.

My point was that Prescott was the same player in the first 8 games as he was in the last 8..

Dak was missing throws , having accuracy problems , and constantly going 3 and out before any injuries or suspensions. Just go back and watch those first 3 games of the season..

People try to blame injuries and suspensions but Prescott was the same player all season..

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
My point was that Prescott was the same player in the first 8 games as he was in the last 8..

Dak was missing throws , having accuracy problems , and constantly going 3 and out before any injuries or suspensions. Just go back and watch those first 3 games of the season..

People try to blame injuries and suspensions but Prescott was the same player all season..
Was he though? The offense certainly wasn't the same. 28.25 ppg first 8 games. Then Tyron injury and Zeke suspension began and the team averaged 16 ppg. Maybe Dak was the same player, or similar, all season. But this team can win with him as long as the starting line and Zeke are in the fold.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
No need to pay. You've read the same thing here plenty of times.
The information is free and accessible to anybody who's willing to do the research.

SCORING
with both Smith and Martin
Games 1-8
212 points on 85 drives (2.49 points per drive)
26.1 points per game
Games 9-16
81 points on 32 drives (2.53 points per drive)
26.6 points per game

without Smith or without Martin
Games 1-8

--
Games 9-16
40 points on 49 drives (0.82 points per drive)
8.6 points per game

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Last season revealed Dak to be a vastly different player when all 5 starting OL didn't play most of the offensive snaps in the game.

Passer rating
first 8 games 97.9
last 8 games 74.0
diff -23.9

w/Elliott 91.8
without 76.6
diff -15.2

w/ Smith & Martin 97.0
w/o Smith or w/o Martin 55.4
diff -41.6

1nfljunky

Reaction score
Last season revealed Dak to be a vastly different player when all 5 starting OL didn't play most of the offensive snaps in the game.

Passer rating
first 8 games 97.9
last 8 games 74.0
diff -23.9

w/Elliott 91.8
without 76.6
diff -15.2

w/ Smith & Martin 97.0
diff -41.6
All this saids is Dak needs ideal situations to perform. That is not a franchise QB. Wentz played behind a line that changed player/positions 16 times in the first 13 games. 4 different guards and a second year LT. He was 11-2 in those games.
Unfortunately football is the one sport where ideal situations are rare. You’ve had relatively good health along your OL over the past few years. What happens is you miss your center or RG? Should we expect Dak to tank again? Not wishing anything bad at all, just asking a serious question.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
All this saids is Dak needs ideal situations to perform. That is not a franchise QB. Wentz played behind a line that changed player/positions 16 times in the first 13 games. 4 different guards and a second year LT. He was 11-2 in those games.
Unfortunately football is the one sport where ideal situations are rare. You’ve had relatively good health along your OL over the past few years. What happens is you miss your center or RG? Should we expect Dak to tank again? Not wishing anything bad at all, just asking a serious question.
We don't really know if the situation needs to be ideal, and we certainly can't assume all teams' OL depth is of similar quality. There's a huge gap between an OL that allows 1 sack every 30 dropbacks and an OL that allows 1 sack every 8 dropbacks.

We do know that when the situation is so bad that there's a sack for every 8 dropbacks, the QB suffers. That drop in performance is normal in those types of games. What isn't normal is the way Dak responded in those games on plays when he was not pressured. That probably means it was mental, and the only way to find out if he's overcome it is with time. I don't think anyone can say for sure whether or not this is a franchise QB.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dak wasn’t the only issue during the final 8 games, but he played his part. As the QB you’re going to have to take more criticism than you probably deserve...because God knows you get more praise than you deserve when things are going well. It’s just the way it is.

Yah, he played his part like everyone else. But its very clear, that if things are stable around him, the kid can lead and the kid can ball. And by all indications, things are better than stable again.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
We lacked depth along the OL last season. Chaz Green should not be in the league. I think the Cowboys have addressed the depth issues and will be in much better shape should we see an injury or 2 along the OL.

817Gill

Reaction score

Passer rating
first 8 games 97.9
last 8 games 74.0
diff -23.9

w/Elliott 91.8
without 76.6
diff -15.2

w/ Smith & Martin 97.0
diff -41.6
I don’t know how people can even begin to say he was the same guy all year haha. There’s no way you didn’t see a complete different QB from San Fran, Washington, KC to Atlanta, Philly, Chargers. Lose Zeke, Ty, and Sean Lee and that’s what happens