First diagnosed case of Ebola in the U.S. *Patient dies*

CashMan

Reaction score
I think a second person, who lives in the same household as the 1st person, now has it. I heard this morning.

CashMan

Reaction score
Don't freaking go to Africa and touch anyone's blood or semen lol

I thought I read, you can get it from sweat, or pretty much anything fluid that comes out of the body. So, snot, sweat, ect.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I thought I read, you can get it from sweat, or pretty much anything fluid that comes out of the body. So, snot, sweat, ect.
Yea I think that's right I wasn't trying to be factual

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Yea, I don't get how it keeps spreading if people are getting quarantined. You can't pass it on unless you have symptoms, and since it's not airborn I'm not really sure what's going on.

Maybe I should rephrase my first response...

When the patient is symptomatic, people think they have the flu or something viral. Others come in contact with the secretions and become infected themselves. There is likely a period when patients are minimally symptomatic yet secreting virus. Of course as they become sicker the viral load increases greatly and they secret the virus more.

Last edited:

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Yea, I don't get how it keeps spreading if people are getting quarantined. You can't pass it on unless you have symptoms, and since it's not airborn I'm not really sure what's going on.

Maybe I should rephrase my first response...

Unfortunately Africa is very poor and has little to no prevention, education,awareness, and resources. In a first world country like here the Ebola virus is easily contained.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
for something that is hard to catch it sure as heck has spread like crazy in Africa. The fact this is the very 1st case of Ebola in the US should be of concern.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
for something that is hard to catch it sure as heck has spread like crazy in Africa. The fact this is the very 1st case of Ebola in the US should be of concern.

I live in Dallas County and I am not concerned. Africa has tons of people who live very hazardously when it comes to communicable diseases, that and they simply don't have the hospitals like we do here.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I live in Dallas County and I am not concerned. Africa has tons of people who live very hazardously when it comes to communicable diseases, that and they simply don't have the hospitals like we do here.

I don't think people should go crazy but to me it is a concern when a virus like Ebola enters into the US. Will this single case lead to anything else? I don't know but the very fact that Ebola is on US shores to me that is a concern.

CashMan

Reaction score
I don't think people should go crazy but to me it is a concern when a virus like Ebola enters into the US. Will this single case lead to anything else? I don't know but the very fact that Ebola is on US shores to me that is a concern.

Agreed

My question would be, is this a virus that thrives in warm climates? I mean, how much Yellow Fever is there in the US( I think it is sorta comparable)?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Agreed

My question would be, is this a virus that thrives in warm climates? I mean, how much Yellow Fever is there in the US( I think it is sorta comparable)?

Africa is some pretty warm climate so is Texas. Thing with Yellow Fever it's carried by a certain species of female mosquitoes

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
By4RVhUIEAEi3_W.jpg:large

LOL. I lub it.

EST_1986

Reaction score
An American NBC camera man working in Liberia has tested positive for Ebola

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
The scary thing is, it's almost assured he WON'T be the last to do this I fear!
=======================================================

DMN: Liberia to prosecute Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan for lying on health form

Phoenix

Reaction score
Oh snap. I'm going into hibernation.

http://touch.baltimoresun.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-81577493/

Washington, D.C. hospital admits patient with possible Ebola symptoms

REUTERS/Frederick Murphy/CDC

Updated 43 minutes ago
Howard University Hospital in Washington, D.C. has admitted a patient with possible symptoms of the deadly Ebola virus "in an abundance of caution," it said in a statement on Friday.

The patient, who had recently traveled to Nigeria, is in stable condition and is being treated in isolation, a hospital spokeswoman said, adding that she could not provide additional details about the case because of patient privacy.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Inevitable. People are going to try to save their lives. Contact enough to get infected. Get on a plane to Europe then to the US for treatment lying about contact. Avoid GB and FR traveling. If disease contacted get help her.

They are going to have to quarantine W Africa which I don't think they can do in modern times.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Wikipedia says it's spread through blood and semen (like AIDS or any other STD). People are acting like you can't go outside and breathe the air.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Wikipedia says it's spread through blood and semen (like AIDS or any other STD). People are acting like you can't go outside and breathe the air.

Other body fluids with ebola virus include saliva, mucus, vomit, feces, sweat, tears, breast milk, urine, and semen.

Seems like if he sneezed or went to the restroom without washing his hands, it could be transmitted.

Tawney88

Reaction score
this is some scary stuff. Now who has he been in contact with since boarding the plane to the US and before going to hospital?

Unless he bleed on someone, or had other contact with bodily fluid everyone should be ok.