First diagnosed case of Ebola in the U.S. *Patient dies*

CashMan

Reaction score
So a cameraman who contracted Ebola just arrived in Nebraska. Why are these people not being screened?

Questfor6

Reaction score
So a cameraman who contracted Ebola just arrived in Nebraska. Why are these people not being screened?

He flew back in a highly secured jet, he was quarantined the whole flight. NBC announced he had contracted it 5 days before he returned to the US

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Unless he bleed on someone, or had other contact with bodily fluid everyone should be ok.

If it was that hard to contract we would not be seeing the outbreak in Africa as bad as it is getting. The big concern is it mutating as many virus do that is how they have survived through out history. Not say people should freak out and stay inside all I'm saying is when a virus likes this enters into the US where we have never seen in before it should be a concern.

CashMan

Reaction score
If it was that hard to contract we would not be seeing the outbreak in Africa as bad as it is getting. The big concern is it mutating as many virus do that is how they have survived through out history. Not say people should freak out and stay inside all I'm saying is when a virus likes this enters into the US where we have never seen in before it should be a concern.

I think, this is purely speculation, it is transmitted via sweat, in Africa it is a little warm, and maybe tight quarters, so easy contamination?

As for care, I think caught early, people can survive in the 1st world, rather than trying to treat this in the 3rd world. Money talks, and this coming to America(no pun intended), maybe this will be on the radar to actually contain, rather than in the 3rd world, no affecting Americans directly. Although it is not good, it might be a good thing, getting the medical community to pay attention to this.

That is just my opinion.

Tawney88

Reaction score

It contracted through bodily fluids. It's not airborne. Africa doesn't have the sanitary conditions that we do many of the countries are third world countries. It isn't hard to understand why it's spreading the way it is there. Heck they have the same issues with dysentery and other diseases over there you dont see here.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It contracted through bodily fluids. It's not airborne. Africa doesn't have the sanitary conditions that we do many of the countries are third world countries. It isn't hard to understand why it's spreading the way it is there. Heck they have the same issues with dysentery and other diseases over there you dont see here.

some here in the US do not have sanitary conditions, I would rather those in charge show concern then to act like it can't happen here. I would also add there is always a chance for any virus to mutate and that has always been a concern with a virus like Ebola it can happen, this is how virus manage to continue and thrive. The flu at one time was not an air born virus over time it changed and mutated and became air born.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/12/health/ebola-airborne/

(CNN) -- Today, the Ebola virus spreads only through direct contact with bodily fluids, such as blood and vomit. But some of the nation's top infectious disease experts worry that this deadly virus could mutate and be transmitted just by a cough or a sneeze.

"It's the single greatest concern I've ever had in my 40-year public health career," said Dr. Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota."I can't imagine anything in my career -- and this includes HIV -- that would be more devastating to the world than a respiratory transmissible Ebola virus."

Osterholm and other experts couldn't think of another virus that has made the transition from non-airborne to airborne in humans. They say the chances are relatively small that Ebola will make thatjump. But as the virus spreads, they warned, the likelihood increases.

Every time a new person gets Ebola, the virus gets another chance to mutate and develop new capabilities. Osterholm calls it "genetic roulette."

===

The US is not West Africa.

West Africa has over 5000 cases as of earlier this month.

The US has under 5...not 5000, not 500, not 50...under 5

Too many in the cable news stories and shows want to spread the fear to get ratings on TV and clicks from online stories.

hairic

Reaction score
If you don't want to catch Ebola, don't handle dead bodies with your bare hands and don't eat the dead monkeys you find while hunting for food in the line at McDonald's.

burmafrd

Reaction score
ebola is a third world disease.

the mutation worryis very unlikely- as was pointed out, of all the viruses looked at over the years they have never found one that went airborne. So all this gassing by know nothing morons in the media is just that.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/12/health/ebola-airborne/

(CNN) -- Today, the Ebola virus spreads only through direct contact with bodily fluids, such as blood and vomit. But some of the nation's top infectious disease experts worry that this deadly virus could mutate and be transmitted just by a cough or a sneeze.

"It's the single greatest concern I've ever had in my 40-year public health career," said Dr. Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota."I can't imagine anything in my career -- and this includes HIV -- that would be more devastating to the world than a respiratory transmissible Ebola virus."

Osterholm and other experts couldn't think of another virus that has made the transition from non-airborne to airborne in humans. They say the chances are relatively small that Ebola will make thatjump. But as the virus spreads, they warned, the likelihood increases.

Every time a new person gets Ebola, the virus gets another chance to mutate and develop new capabilities. Osterholm calls it "genetic roulette."

===

The US is not West Africa.

West Africa has over 5000 cases as of earlier this month.

The US has under 5...not 5000, not 500, not 50...under 5

Too many in the cable news stories and shows want to spread the fear to get ratings on TV and clicks from online stories.

From Pigs to Monkeys, Ebola Goes Airborne
http://healthmap.org/site/diseasedaily/article/pigs-monkeys-ebola-goes-airborne-112112

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Please do not post links to articles from conpsiracy web sites. And please do not posts/threads with false or misleading titles.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What do these findings mean? First and foremost, Ebola is not suddenly an airborne disease. As expert commentators at ProMED stated, the experiments “demonstrate the susceptibility of pigs to Zaire Ebolavirus and that the virus from infected pigs can be transmitted to macaques under experimental conditions… they fall short of establishing that this is a normal route of transmission in the natural environment.” Furthermore, because human Ebola outbreaks have historically been locally contained, it is unlikely that Ebola can spread between humans via airborne transmission. - See more at: http://healthmap.org/site/diseaseda...ola-goes-airborne-112112#sthash.qu2BQToO.dpuf

This is the kind of thing I am talking about. It is misleading. It is saying some report came to the conclusion that the virus became airborne in this study with the pigs so they have an article saying it is gone airborne.

Later in the very same article you see what I post above. Very misleading.

Last edited:

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Please do not post links to articles from conpsiracy web sites. And please do not posts/threads with false or misleading titles.

smh. Is the LA Times ok for you?
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ebola-questions-20141007-story.html#page=2

What Bailey learned from the episode informs his suspicion that the current strain of Ebola afflicting humans might be spread through tiny liquid droplets propelled into the air by coughing or sneezing.

"We know for a fact that the virus occurs in sputum and no one has ever done a study [disproving that] coughing or sneezing is a viable means of transmitting," he said. Unqualified assurances that Ebola is not spread through the air, Bailey said, are "misleading."

Peters, whose CDC team studied cases from 27 households that emerged during a 1995 Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo, said that while most could be attributed to contact with infected late-stage patients or their bodily fluids, "some" infections may have occurred via "aerosol transmission."

Skinner of the CDC, who cited the Peters-led study as the most extensive of Ebola's transmissibility, said that while the evidence "is really overwhelming" that people are most at risk when they touch either those who are sick or such a person's vomit, blood or diarrhea, "we can never say never" about spread through close-range coughing or sneezing.

"I'm not going to sit here and say that if a person who is highly viremic … were to sneeze or cough right in the face of somebody who wasn't protected, that we wouldn't have a transmission," Skinner said.

Peters, Russell and Bailey, who in 1989 was deputy commander for research of the Army's Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, in Frederick, Md., said the primates in Reston had appeared to spread Ebola to other monkeys through their breath.

The Ebola strain found in the monkeys did not infect their human handlers. Bailey, who now directs a biocontainment lab at George Mason University in Virginia, said he was seeking to research the genetic differences between the Ebola found in the Reston monkeys and the strain currently circulating in West Africa.

Though he acknowledged that the means of disease transmission among the animals would not guarantee the same result among humans, Bailey said the outcome may hold lessons for the present Ebola epidemic.

"Those monkeys were dying in a pattern that was certainly suggestive of coughing and sneezing — some sort of aerosol movement," Bailey said. "They were dying and spreading it so quickly from cage to cage. We finally came to the conclusion that the best action was to euthanize them all."

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So again they are basically saying it is not airborne but there is always a chance that it could be airborne down the road even if it is highly unlikely.

They are also saying although any report saying that it could be airborne is within animals it has yet to be found to be the case in humans.

So again..misleading.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
So again they are basically saying it is not airborne but there is always a chance that it could be airborne down the road even if it is highly unlikely.

They are also saying although any report saying that it could be airborne is within animals it has yet to be found to be the case in humans.

So again..misleading.

They are saying they don't know. And it's misleading saying that it's not airborne like what is being said now. Knowing between the two results in a big difference in perception.

Would you feel safe walking into a room with an Ebola infected person coughing and sneezing?

CashMan

Reaction score
They are saying they don't know. And it's misleading saying that it's not airborne like what is being said now. Knowing between the two results in a big difference in perception.

Would you feel safe walking into a room with an Ebola infected person coughing and sneezing?

Let's say someone's blood, misted into the air, would that be considered airborne?

CashMan

Reaction score
I guess my question would be, if AIDS is not airborne, but Magic Johnson cut cut, and his blood became a mist, you inhaled it and contracted that virus, would that count?

If you inhale snot of sweet and catch ebola, I do not consider that airborne.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I guess my question would be, if AIDS is not airborne, but Magic Johnson cut cut, and his blood became a mist, you inhaled it and contracted that virus, would that count?

If you inhale snot of sweet and catch ebola, I do not consider that airborne.

Airborne to me means contracting the virus via the air. Hence, airborne. The virus is in saliva. If someone coughs and that saliva gets into the air and someone else breaths it in, there is a possibility that you could contract the virus. It has been proven to do so from pigs to monkeys and monkeys to monkeys.

The real question is, will it become and aerosol. Very, very small particles of the virus that can manage longer distances and duration in the air.

Another point that doesn't get enough attention is that the virus can live up to 4 days on a surface or in water. Someone infected, wipes their nose and then touches a door knob. That virus is there waiting for someone else to touch it.

The case in Spain where the nurse contracted the virus from a patient, a patient who has since died, is still unexplained as to how she contracted it. Do you not think they would be taking super precautions against this from happening? Unless perhaps they are falsing believing this isn't airborne.