First Round Running Backs

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Norman
Sherman
Harris Jr.

Three of the best. Two 5ths and an UDFA.

Norman has had one good year. Harris Jr. and Sherman are good as well, but once again, late round great CBs aren't found nearly every year. You can find 1,000 yard backs 3rd round or later or even outside the draft nearly every season.

It's simply not comparable.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Hmm...

- LaDainian Tomlinson - 1st ballot HOF

- Ronnie Brown - pedestrian, but decent career with Miami.

- Cadillac Williams - started off great, winning OROY, and then a mix of injuries and bad play ruined the rest of his career.

- Cedric Benson - didn't start off well in Chicago based on where he was drafted, but had a few good years in Cincinnati.

- Reggie Bush - certainly didn't live up to the hype that surrounded him before the draft, but didn't have a bad career. He was a good all-around player for NO, contributing to their Super Bowl victory and had some good seasons recently with MIA and DET.
- Darren McFadden - Had a good season for us last year, and 1 good season with the Raiders but never lived up to his status as a top 5 pick.
- Trent Richardson - Actually had an okay rookie year and then the wheels fell completely off the wagon. He's still young enough to have a Cedric Benson kind of late career revival, but it's not looking too promising for him. Probably the biggest bust of the group.
- Ezekiel Elliot - ????

The track record for the RBs taken in the top 5 isn't all that impressive. Pre-draft, these guys were all heralded as franchise players who would be major contributors for their teams for years to come. Obviously, only LT was able to live up to his draft status.

It's unlikely that Elliot matches the kind of career that LT had, but I'd say if he falls somewhere between Ronnie Brown/Reggie Bush and LT, then it would be an overall successful pick for us. I think he can be a consistent 1000 yard rusher, especially behind our O-Line...but it remains to be seen. It's certainly possible that he flops, just like many of the top picks have...but only time will tell.

So, Lesean McCoy? An RB that was found in the second round? Got it.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Those 70's teams were perennial playoff and SB contenders. That's buys a front office a lot of credibility and benefit of the doubt. And they were stacked on D as well.

Today, we've reached a point where missing on our day 1 picks sets this team back and folks also question the value of a RB at #4. It's a different game. Zeke is a talent but the questions regarding a RB that high are valid as well.

Missing on our first day picks haha didn't know Martin, Frederick, Tyron etc. were misses. .....I thought they were all pro. How silly of me

JDSmith

Reaction score
Brady was found in what round? Why don't we do that same type of stuff with all QB's too, eh?
Makes sense, right?

We got Romo from the leftovers, no reason to bother with the draft at all.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Brady was found in what round? Why don't we do that same type of stuff with all QB's too, eh?
Makes sense, right?

Yes, because 6th round QBs that go on to be the greatest QB of all time are found every year. Right, that's totally comparable. You got it, bro.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Yes, because 6th round QBs that go on to be the greatest QB of all time are found every year. Right, that's totally comparable. You got it, bro.

Extreme case? Yeah, but this song and dance also happens every year. You just cannot go in judging drafts with revisionist eyes and hindsight knowledge.

Great players are chosen in every round, was my point. Silly to compare past choices that panned out better than where they were picked. No surprise that you're too dense to pick up that subtle nuance.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Extreme case? Yeah, but this song and dance also happens every year. You just cannot go in judging drafts with revisionist eyes and hindsight knowledge.

Great players are chosen in every round, was my point. Silly to compare past choices that panned out better than where they were picked. No surprise that you're too dense to pick up that subtle nuance.

But not as frequent as RBs, that's the point. It makes it worse that the shelf life for an RB is relatively short. There is an obvious reason why this league went, what, 3-4 years without taking an RB in the top 20-25?

Yes, it was an extreme case. How about finding one that is comparable. How about finding a position in the draft where teams completely avoided it in the first round for a couple seasons? What other position can you say that for, other than RB?

Corso

Reaction score
But not as frequent as RBs, that's the point. It makes it worse that the shelf life for an RB is relatively short. There is an obvious reason why this league went, what, 3-4 years without taking an RB in the top 20-25?

Yes, it was an extreme case. How about finding one that is comparable. How about finding a position in the draft where teams completely avoided it in the first round for a couple seasons? What other position can you say that for, other than RB?

I get your argument and although I feel strongly about finding examples to refute you, I'm happily drinking (I've been on antibiotics for the past 10 days... TORTURE!) and I don't really feel like arguing with you at this moment as I distinctly recall you being perty smart about things and I would need to be on my A Game to enjoin in an honest and true debate with (I would smother) you.

Brother, we is fans of the same team if I ruffled feathers, I don't care. You still friends with me. Should you want.
Go @mattjames2010! Yeah, I liked all your posts this page. You deserve at least that.

Corso

Reaction score
We got Romo from the leftovers, no reason to bother with the draft at all.

I have to ask: you're point in this comment to me? I must be too thoopid to get it.
Expound and I would be more than happy to engage.

Corso

Reaction score

But don't worry, should I remember you in the next day, or two... I'll get back to you.
No guarantees though.

I mean, you know the day destroys the night?
The night divides the day?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Hmm...

- LaDainian Tomlinson - 1st ballot HOF

- Ronnie Brown - pedestrian, but decent career with Miami.

- Cadillac Williams - started off great, winning OROY, and then a mix of injuries and bad play ruined the rest of his career.

- Cedric Benson - didn't start off well in Chicago based on where he was drafted, but had a few good years in Cincinnati.

- Reggie Bush - certainly didn't live up to the hype that surrounded him before the draft, but didn't have a bad career. He was a good all-around player for NO, contributing to their Super Bowl victory and had some good seasons recently with MIA and DET.
- Darren McFadden - Had a good season for us last year, and 1 good season with the Raiders but never lived up to his status as a top 5 pick.
- Trent Richardson - Actually had an okay rookie year and then the wheels fell completely off the wagon. He's still young enough to have a Cedric Benson kind of late career revival, but it's not looking too promising for him. Probably the biggest bust of the group.
- Ezekiel Elliot - ????

The track record for the RBs taken in the top 5 isn't all that impressive. Pre-draft, these guys were all heralded as franchise players who would be major contributors for their teams for years to come. Obviously, only LT was able to live up to his draft status.

It's unlikely that Elliot matches the kind of career that LT had, but I'd say if he falls somewhere between Ronnie Brown/Reggie Bush and LT, then it would be an overall successful pick for us. I think he can be a consistent 1000 yard rusher, especially behind our O-Line...but it remains to be seen. It's certainly possible that he flops, just like many of the top picks have...but only time will tell.

yikes
1 out 7 was actually worth a top 5 pick..and most not even a 1st rounder at all.

Lets hope it becomes 2 out of 8

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
No one twisted their arm to reach like that. They should have traded down, IMO.

Maybe, but if they thought Zeke was their guy, they just went ahead and took him. I can't argue with that. I was good with Ramsey, Zeke, or a trade down.

I couldn't count how many times I've heard our fan base say that this was a bad year to have the 6th overall, the 4th overall, the 26th overall, etc, etc.

Doesn't matter where we pick, I guess we'll always be doomed. Where's the perfect spot?

Top 4 would have been great in the 2011 draft, for example.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
yikes
1 out 7 was actually worth a top 5 pick..and most not even a 1st rounder at all.

Lets hope it becomes 2 out of 8

What makes it worse, Cedric Benson, Williams, and Brown were all taken in the top 5 in the same year. A little more insight into why the NFL started to shy away taking RBs that high in the draft.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
short sighted? You have to be joking. Taking Zeke was short sighted and I have talked ad nauseum how short sighted that was.

The ONLY way Zeke is worth a #4 pick is if he can do something that any good RB like Murray cannot do. Matching Murrays production would just prove that taking a RB with the 4th pick was a waste.

Again, you're being quite short sighted.

Murray's production from 2014 was not sustainable even for Murray and that was the reason not to pay him 8.4 million dollars a year. You have to look at his age and anticipated decline.

The lower cost plus higher expected future performance is what is the key here.

willia451

Reaction score
Just about any back picked in the first 4 rounds of this draft and given 300 carries in our offense would have a great season.

Maybe. But can they generate the buzz and jersey sales Zeke can?

Half shirts on sale now in the pro shop. Get yours while supplies last.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Again, you're being quite short sighted.

Murray's production from 2014 was not sustainable even for Murray and that was the reason not to pay him 8.4 million dollars a year. You have to look at his age and anticipated decline.

The lower cost plus higher expected future performance is what is the key here.

I don't think he's saying Zeke has to rush for 1,800 yards every year. He's saying that Murray ran for 1,800 and was a 3rd round pick.

I'm not really sure what the argument is here, to be honest.

Even those that love Zeke (I think he's a fantastic player) must be capable of admitting that 4 is higher than ideal for drafting a running back.

To justify the selection, Zeke is going to have to be special - and that's asking a lot.

Reggie Bush was supposed to be special and redefine the position when he was drafted 2nd overall. If Zeke has production like Reggie, I don't think that's enough.