Video: First Things First-Would the Cowboys be making a huge mistake making Dak one of the highest paid QBs

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Nowhere did you see the word bored in my post but it seems that there are multiple threads about the man and his money.

You watch the video and I will read the posts, that way we will have both areas covered.
For sure..

We all just try to keep each other informed.

Don't bother me much.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
$30M is too high and $25M is too low. So the Goldilocks zone would logically fall somewhere in between those two numbers. It's the guaranteed part of the contract that I'm more interested in.

sean10mm

Reaction score
$27-28 million/year is Jimmy Garoppolo, Kirk Cousins, Matthew Stafford money. It's the middle of the pack, crazy as it sounds. Those guys are combined 0-4 in the playoffs and Garoppolo hasn't even shown he can make it through a single regular season without getting hurt.

People act like those are max contract numbers and they're just not, max moved to $35m/year with Wilson's new deal.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Cowboys tripping over themselves.

Its going to be what its going to be. Dak is better than middle of the pack, but his skill set wont survive a long run. Let him cash while he can. We dont know, this might be his last contract. Tho im sure Mike White wont cause it.

Id prefer to see what we hve in Dak with KM, if KM is as good as advertised, Dak will get better stats, thats what most people need to give them an opinion. Dak has a fighter spirit in him and no stat helps with that. 2 out of 3 times in the play offs, the losses werent on him.

if they extend him, i feel hes shorted himself. If he can thrive better with KM than you have to pay him, if you extend him now, you live or die with KM. Frankly, i wouldnt bet my future on KM. If Dak does, he knows more than me.

dckid

Reaction score

It’s called gamesmanship. Russel Wilson supposedly wanted his contract to be a % of the salary cap. So if the cap goes up x percent his salary also moves so it’s is still let’s say (15%) of the cap. Like any business transaction, both sides will be happy in this case.

I have just accepted that the boys will overpay for Dak, time to move on. If he sucks luckily we are in good cap shape and it won’t be the end of the world. It will be just like the past 23 years. 10-6, or 5-11, or the ever wonderful 8-8. My nephew has grown up in Plano over the past 19 years , he tells me most of the kids and people in general just know who the Cowboys are. It’s not a rabid fan base anymore. We always talk about the past and glory. Like I have said before so glad I saw 3 SB wins.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think manziel is around. Maybe we should trade Dak and sign manziel. He would play cheap enough for y’all.

Dak is gonna get market price. And it goes up every year..

csirl

Reaction score
We dont need to offer a contract to a player under contract for another season.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
It’s called gamesmanship. Russel Wilson supposedly wanted his contract to be a % of the salary cap. So if the cap goes up x percent his salary also moves so it’s is still let’s say (15%) of the cap. Like any business transaction, both sides will be happy in this case.

I have just accepted that the boys will overpay for Dak, time to move on. If he sucks luckily we are in good cap shape and it won’t be the end of the world. It will be just like the past 23 years. 10-6, or 5-11, or the ever wonderful 8-8. My nephew has grown up in Plano over the past 19 years , he tells me most of the kids and people in general just know who the Cowboys are. It’s not a rabid fan base anymore. We always talk about the past and glory. Like I have said before so glad I saw 3 SB wins.
Back then it was not the mega business it is now.

There are a few things that as a 50 year fan I can be pleased with..

Jerrah has won the race to be the most successful franchise financially.

The stadium and training facilities are state of the art.

the cheerleaders are still the best..

as far as entertainment they never lack for interest.

And despite instances of player misbehavior at times..

the team has maintained it's icon image.

Winning is a sidebar issue to be desired and followed by the fans.

I just want one more title before I'm gone.

Jerrah, too.

ICP

Reaction score
Yes they would, but I think it's a forgone conclusion that Dallas is gonna overpay for him anyway

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
Dak is going to be one of the highest paid QB's in the NFL, it might not be the Cowboys but a team will pay him big money and you idiots will regret losing him.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love Dak, but I don't think he should be paid among the highest paid and highest achievers, quite yet, anyway.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We dont need to offer a contract to a player under contract for another season.
Teams do it all the time, both to avoid paying next year's rate (salaries go up every year, and QB salaries in particular are escalating rapidly) and to make sure there isn't a risk of the player's contract expiring, in which case you would be stuck competing for him with any other NFL team that may be interested, and may end up losing the player.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They're going to get a reasonable market-rate deal done that basically reflects what was paid to Cousins minus the enormous guarantee percentage and plus a premium for the deal being a year newer. It'll work out just like the Lawrence deal did in that it will be a reasonable deal for his age, ability, production, and people will still freak out because it will be 'Dak' and there will be a high AAV on it because he's a QB.

It'll be nice to get him signed, though, and to be moving on to Cooper and Elliott and Jones.

ESisback

Reaction score
No matter what the Cowboys do, they’ll ALWAYS get criticism from SAS, Shannon Sharpe, Rob Parker, etc., etc.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've seen this "he was a 4th rounder" mentioned by several of these talking heads like Scott and what the hell does that have to do with anything? It only matters what he's done since he's been in the NFL and that is start every game and get a 66% win percentage.

The fact is they do not have a choice, his play has given them no choice. I, originally, wanted them to let him play out this contract but have since changed on that because they're not going to have real options to get one of these blue chippers like Tua or Herbert in 20 and if Lawrence keeps it up, he will be the most played for player in NFL history. They need to do that while they can get a deal for less than in 2020.

So, those that don't want Dak extended want another QB and I ask which one? What would it cost to move up high enough for a player like Tua? And what would other teams be willing to do to get him or Lawrence the following year? And there are no guarantees with any of these guys.

Next I ask, if these blue chippers, Tier 1 cats, are so necessary, why hasn't Brees or Rodgers won more than one and Flacco and Manning won two each? And Rivers, one I consider as good as any, hasn't even had a shot at one.

They are probably going to give Dak a deal quite a few here are not going to like and some are going to react with "well, that's it, we're done". However, I would suggest we wait and see how this all plays out because having a Tier 1 QB doesn't guarantee anything and the price of the QB has little to do with the Tier he's on, it has to do with not enough good QB's to fill 32 teams and give them a chance.

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
Who cares if you listen to the Cowboys brass Dak is getting paid if I like it or not

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Stephen Jones is on record as being opposed to awarding Dak more than a "team-friendly" deal.

Here's wishing him good luck in achieving that goal. I'm sure Dak and his agent have other ideas.