Video: First Things First-Would the Cowboys be making a huge mistake making Dak one of the highest paid QBs

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Haha..

This is going to continue for months..

next is Cooper..

Then Zeke..

Then Byron Jones...

Then Jaylon Smith

Then Wolf Hunter..

Then?

Get used to everybody picking at the road kill..

:omg:

What is going to continue for months? You continuing to post dumb Dak threads?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It’s annoying hearing people attribute Dak’s dip to Elliott’s suspension when the real issue was the protection when Tyron went down and the defense being dependent on Sean Lee before Jaylon and VDE were really available.

It was all of that including Zeke. As well as the laughable Garrett thinking he could just employ the same Zeke heavy, boring gameplans without Zeke in there.

dfense

Reaction score
I don't understand the reasoning behind every new QB contract has to beat the most recent one. R.Wilson has won a SB, reached another, and made it to the playoffs multiple years. So Dak now has to get 25m + a year? I'd give Mike White a really long look in the preseason.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
For sure..

We all just try to keep each other informed.

Don't bother me much.
You have two threads covering Dak and his upcoming contract. Seems you’ve already picked a side by your comments and questions to others.

I could care less because I do not think Stephen will allow the contract for Dak to hamstring the franchise. On the surface it may look grand for Dak, but I bet money it’s structured to benefit the Cowboys.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every player that signs a new contract does not become among the highest paid players at their position.

What a weird way to think.

Having to pay based on the market that exists isn’t remotely a weird way to think. It’s just how business works, and reflects the state of the QB position in the NFL now. QB salaries have skyrocketed.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not where

1. The HC is in final year of contract.

2. The QB in question hasnt established themselves as an elite QB.

You think teams freeze all personnel decisions when a coach’s contract reaches the final year? That can’t happen. They have to keep doing business as they deem necessary, and if they were to let Garrett go, why would a new coach sign on if the team let Dak walk and was left with Cooper Rush? And there are 20-25 starting QBs that haven’t established themselves as “elite”, but Dak has established himself as a QB the team can win a lot of games with, which is a lot more than top paid QBs like Cousins and Garappolo have done.

Last edited:

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Having to pay based on the market that exists isn’t remotely a weird way to think. It’s just how business works, and reflects the state of the QB position in the NFL now. QB salaries have skyrocketed.
Just because Dak is getting a new deal doesn't mean you have to pay him at the top of the market.

He isn't a top of the market qb.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just because Dak is getting a new deal doesn't mean you have to pay him at the top of the market.

He isn't a top of the market qb.

Again, the idea of paying based on market value isn’t remotely weird - not unless you have zero knowledge of business.

I think you are confusing the “market” with QB rankings. They aren’t the same. You can’t compare Dak’s abilities against guys like Rodgers and Brees and think he should be paid behind them, because Dak isn’t negotiating his contract under the same market conditions as they did. If they were all negotiating contracts today, Dak wouldn’t even be close, but that’s not the case,and they are living with the contract they negotiated under the then existing market conditions, and Dak will negotiate under the currently existing market conditions.

Today, $35 million per year is top of the market. Dak isn’t going to get that. But he is going to get at least Garapplo or Cousins money, or a little more, which will still put him among the highest paid QBs.

Wood

Reaction score
If Dallas were smart of enough to just franchise Dak after season they basically would get to keep their QB in place for next two seasons at about $15 million year. Its clear to me that with huge inflation of salary for "middling" QBs around the league teams need to turn over these middling QB once contracts are up and draft new one. I would only lock up QB long term if I felt he was clear cut top 7- 10 QB in NFL.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Again, the idea of paying based on market value isn’t remotely weird - not unless you have zero knowledge of business.

I think you are confusing the “market” with QB rankings. They aren’t the same. You can’t compare Dak’s abilities against guys like Rodgers and Brees and think he should be paid behind them, because Dak isn’t negotiating his contract under the same market conditions as they did. If they were all negotiating contracts today, Dak wouldn’t even be close, but that’s not the case,and they are living with the contract they negotiated under the then existing market conditions, and Dak will negotiate under the currently existing market conditions.

Today, $35 million per year is top of the market. Dak isn’t going to get that. But he is going to get at least Garapplo or Cousins money, or a little more, which will still put him among the highest paid QBs.
Market value...key word value.

Dak is not worth top of the market value.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Market value...key word value.

Dak is not worth top of the market value.

What

You have zero understanding of the term “market value”. The pay of QBs like Brees and Ben are not at current market value - they are under paid as market conditions exist today. Dak’s pay will not reflect that he has more value than others under older contracts - thinking the massive flaw in your thinking. It’s nonsensical for you to think that the market is tied only to the salaries of the best p,Ayers, even if their contracts are 3-4 years old.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I don't think Dak should slot into top 5-10 money. But he will.

And that's the issue.

thats fair and i agree with that. I dont want to give him that type of money becase i dont feel hes top 5, but also his style is not long for the NFL as well. However i like him better than most QBs, and i hope KM uses Dak correctlyy

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Not unless they overpay too many other positions. Every team can afford to overpay the QB but when you throw the RB, WR, DE in that mix and end up with too many players in the top 5 or 10 paid at their position, that team better be a drafting demon and a very healthy team.

Have we seen the too much to too few work in the cap era? Why is there only one guy that has figured this out?

If they give Prescott 25-28M, Elliott 15M, Cooper 17M and Lawrence 21M (already done) they better be a hell of a lot better at drafting deeper in the draft than they have been because any team with that much ties up with 4 players has got to have some over producing players based on their cap hit. It can work but a team like that can't have many misses in the draft and health becomes a real issue and when wasn't the injury report loaded with RB's and WR's? The Cowboy have been lucky with Elliott but he is an injury waiting to happen. Then what do they do?

and what team isnt an injury away from their best player??? This is the nfl where an injury can happen to anyone, on any play. If it happens to your best player.... you are screwed in this league.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
and what team isnt an injury away from their best player??? This is the nfl where an injury can happen to anyone, on any play. If it happens to your best player.... you are screwed in this league.

eagles did well, we as a team crap the bed with injuries. they might solve that, they may not, but back up QB has been haunting us for years.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
It was all of that including Zeke. As well as the laughable Garrett thinking he could just employ the same Zeke heavy, boring gameplans without Zeke in there.
Garrett is to creativity what stale potato chips are to deliciousness.
No relation.