Video: Fish: Cowboys and Falcons have talked about a trade up. Fish says it is not true aka clickbait

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I told myself this kind of thing 20 years ago.

I like to refer to myself as a realist instead of a pessimist.
Yeah but let's not let the Cowboys 20 years of failures cloud what the reality of the NFL is. IT doesn't take years to develop a championship. It doesn't take a "process". It can instantly change for you in a offseason. We've seen it time and time again.

817Gill

Reaction score
I'll give Fish credit for one thing - he's excellent at clickbait headlines...and it works because people don't really read.

The second paragraph says that there is absolutely nothing to the rumor. This is literally what he's doing:

Great scene

817Gill

Reaction score
LOL. This is just nonsense.

Dallas has NOT called ATL about pick 4. End of story.
This is utterly stupid.
Pick 4 value: 10 +44 plus one of the R3 plus next year's R1.

Dallas isn't even in the conversation.
That’s literally what Fish said lol

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't view him as just simply a TE.

He's like having a queen in chess.

He's a TE on a team that already has a ton of pass catchers. As great as he might be, his influence on the offense isn't going to be as great as you expect. So sure, if he falls to 10 and you take him, that's fine. But if you trade away some 2nd and third round picks that you will need to grab defenders if you use your 1st on a TE, you aren't really helping the team as much as you think.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Yep.........Tony Dorsett (lol)
Joey Galloway ....... uh, hmmm.
Roy Williams ....... uh, nope.
Liz Claiborne ....... nope.

We get hosed more often than not. Having said that, this might not be a bad move to go to 4 to get Sewell or Pitts.

I prefer to stay put and see who’s there because I have a feeling Jones and maybe even Trask get thrown into the conversation of 4 through 9.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last year they went out and got Everson Griffen, Legatron, Poe, McCoy, Haha....the moves didn't work but that was a much different approach to free agency than what they did this year. You don't have to agree with it now but last offseason we all liked the offseason. Part of it is on me. You're right. I sat here and watched then worst defense in the league basically add has-beens and reserves all offseason long. I expected a different approach but maybe I got what I should've expected....when they signed Dak to a long term deal and got his cap hit at 22 million this year I thought they'd take advantage of that this year.
All those signings last year came after the first wave of free agency, like always. Looking back at free agency rankings last year, walterfootball had Griffen as the 66th top free agent, the others didn't make their top 100. That's not the be-all and end-all, but that was not a splashy free-agency season by any means.

Sydla

Reaction score
Of course. But they aren't wrong. Parsons was a great college player.

They say he's better than Simmons. That's debatable. So yeah, they could be wrong.

I mean their homerism kicked in when they said don't be surprised he ran the ball or fielded kicks. He was never going to do that at PSU. They are just homering it up.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah, there's always talk about what we might do. But we almost never do it. We're very predictable if you ignore all the noise.

You are correct, he was listed as a DE so I missed it in my quick glance.

So you expected them to take Trysten Hill with their 1st pick(2nd rounder) a few years back? Or LVE? I know I didn't. Not at all. I remember rumblings about LVE but I did not see them taking him especially over Rashaan Evans.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
All those signings last year came after the first wave of free agency, like always. Looking back at free agency rankings last year, walterfootball had Griffen as the 66th top free agent, the others didn't make their top 100. That's not the be-all and end-all, but that was not a splashy free-agency season by any means.
Of course not but I never said I expected a big time flashy season. I expected this team to fill their holes with adequate talent. I thought most of those guys were. I had my questions about Poe but for the most part I expected most of those guys to start here.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He's a TE on a team that already has a ton of pass catchers. As great as he might be, his influence on the offense isn't going to be as great as you expect. So sure, if he falls to 10 and you take him, that's fine. But if you trade away some 2nd and third round picks that you will need to grab defenders if you use your 1st on a TE, you aren't really helping the team as much as you think.

If he’s a good player it has to be as good as I expect because it’s just a game of matchups and if you sell out to matchup on him then you will get smoked by our wideouts.

I don’t know if there is a corner in football who can hang with Amari Cooper 1 on 1.

On top of all that if you start running with success then it’s just game over.

817Gill

Reaction score
Not shocked at the lack of actually reading the article. Lol he literally said they haven’t talked.

“But as of 8 a.m. CT Thursday, April 8 ... the Cowboys have not called the Falcons. That's a fact.”

I’m no fan of all the extra frills he adds like headline clickbait but sheesh is it that hard to take the real info from it and keep it pushing?

pancakeman

Reaction score
Can anyone think of the last time a deal really worked out for us when we tried to trade up or gave up 1st rounders in a trade? I'm not saying there are none, but I can't think of any. I can think of several instances where trading down worked out for us.

When Dez fell, Cowboys moved up a few spots to get him. Worked out well.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They say he's better than Simmons. That's debatable. So yeah, they could be wrong.

I mean their homerism kicked in when they said don't be surprised he ran the ball or fielded kicks. He was never going to do that at PSU. They are just homering it up.
I was more so speaking of they aren't wrong about what they are saying in the article about Parsons. Whether he's better than Simmons is debatable.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you expected them to take Trysten Hill with their 1st pick(2nd rounder) a few years back? Or LVE? I know I didn't. Not at all. I remember rumblings about LVE but I did not see them taking him especially over Rashaan Evans.
Here's what I expect:

With the Cowboys' first pick, they will
1. Stay put at their draft position.
2. Pick a player at or very near the top of their draft board.

I think they do that consistently enough that I would call them very predictable. That doesn't mean they're 100% predictable. When they have been unpredictable in recent years, I see one common thread: Marinelli. Hill sure seems like he was a Marinelli pick. Same with Charlton. And same with passing on Floyd in 2013, when they traded down to grab Frederick. But even with Hill and Charlton, they stayed put and made a non-sexy pick. Marinelli's gone, so I expect them to be even more predictable.

A small trade up or down (a la Dez) wouldn't surprise me, but I would grant that it would qualify as unpredictable.

Look at last year's draft, the first one with this crew. They mostly stayed put and grabbed whatever value fell to them, as dictated by their board. When someone they liked fell a lot in later rounds, they made a move to get them. But every bit of it sure looked to me like it was dictated by their draft board, not by any ownership whims.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I was more so speaking of they aren't wrong about what they are saying in the article about Parsons. Whether he's better than Simmons is debatable.
I was banging the table for parsons but I prefer Davis now. LVE cant be trusted to stay healthy and drafting Darius Leonard 2.0 helps us a lot more than Parsons would. IMO. If we can get a trio of Surtain/Horn Davis/Grant Toglai/McNeil I am stoked for our D next season. McNeil may be too much though

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yeah but let's not let the Cowboys 20 years of failures cloud what the reality of the NFL is. IT doesn't take years to develop a championship. It doesn't take a "process". It can instantly change for you in a offseason. We've seen it time and time again.

Oh I know what the NFL is but do you see a team taking risks and making moves to win a championship?

What team just continues on with their status quo ways and goes on to win anything?

The Cowboys believe In continuity. Continuity just continues to bring them the same results.

The Kansas City Chiefs should believe in continuity.. The Dallas Cowboys should believe in change.