Fish: Cowboys interested in Davante Adams

Mr_437

Reaction score
It’s not a savior. It’s about getting good value on a vet. If it’s a next year move that’s fine to. But you can’t keep holding on to these picks and praying they will help you contend. These guys aren’t serious contributors for 2 or 3 years. Sometimes never. I’m holding on to picks for what? The next Nashon Wright? Because you are more likely to get the next Nashon Wright and Kelden Joseph then you are the next Diggs.
I just have a different perspective.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
Cooper makes so much more sense but egos and such. He's so cheap, knows the offense, and would have immediate rapport with Dak. Then you still have plenty of $ left to go get a DT, DE, etc. But we do need a good WR2, that's for sure. I think that's a much bigger need than RB.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Jerry probably told Fisher to throw this out there because he is getting a ton of crap lately.

Does anyone honestly think they would trade for a WR a month after giving CD a record deal, and a week after saying they couldn’t afford Henry?

This is absolute non news with nothing at all to it I’m sure.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Everyone on this thread is too tense, lol. Calm down everyone and let’s see the month of October before declaring what the best choice is-to buy or sell. Reminds me of investors that think they can buy their way out of any poorly performing asset. Just wait and see what happens. Hope for the best.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I want to win. This would at least show that the Joneses are trying to accomplish that, too. Their other signings this season do not scream that winning is a priority.

Now, are there other players that I would have liked to see the team sign this season than Adams? Absolutely. But I'll take anything at this point. Don't care if it costs us picks because it would at least show that this team's philosophy (draft picks and low-cost FAs or trades) isn't set in stone. Of course, it would probably just mean the only high-cost trades we're willing to make are for skill position players (but not running back because we no longer value them).
I don't want the team to prove their commitment to winning by committing to a losing move. Around half of our salary cap would be committed to Lamb, Adams, and Dak for the next couple of years, and this move doesn't fix the main problems on this team...being DL and rushing offense. I'd love to see them pull off a blockbuster trade that turns the season around and propels us to a Lombardi, but I don't see bringing in Adams as being that move.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't want the team to prove their commitment to winning by committing to a losing move. Around half of our salary cap would be committed to Lamb, Adams, and Dak for the next couple of years, and this move doesn't fix the main problems on this team...being DL and rushing offense. I'd love to see them pull off a blockbuster trade that turns the season around and propels us to a Lombardi, but I don't see bringing in Adams as being that move.
This team has been losing for almost 30 years. It has not been good enough doing what it was doing. I'm OK with trying anything. Frankly, I think the move that we've needed to make is getting a dominating 3-tech, but it's hard to find those. It's not likely that Adams would change anything, but it would just be a two-year commitment to try.

Creeper

Reaction score
I am interested too if they will take a 6th round pick for him. Otherwise I am not interested. He's 32, and due more than $35 million the next 2 years. Of course he can be cut next year before that money is due, but getting Adams would be for the rest of this year and that's it.

jujoboys

Reaction score
I can't believe people actually take Fish seriously when he posts this junk. He always connects Dallas to big name free agents and trades and none of them ever happen. Guy is just trying to get hits on his article. His credibility in regards to the Cowboys and their personnel moves is pretty close to ZERO..

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
This team has been losing for almost 30 years. It has not been good enough doing what it was doing. I'm OK with trying anything. Frankly, I think the move that we've needed to make is getting a dominating 3-tech, but it's hard to find those. It's not likely that Adams would change anything, but it would just be a two-year commitment to try.
Any dominant DL would do a world of good for this team, but you're right. You just don't see teams letting them go, especially for cheap.

If we had a viable run game, and the defense wasn't looking like Swiss cheese, I'd probably be for bringing in Adams. I don't think he's washed, and he'd certainly spice up the passing game, but there are too many glaring holes on the team to commit more funds to the passing game. I get where you're coming from, my friend. I'm frustrated too, and there have been times over the last 5 or 6 years where it made alot of sense to push the chips to the middle and make a crazy move or two to try to make a serious run. I just don't see this year's squad being in that position.

Look at Adams' contract. Base salaries of $35m or more for the duration after this season. I could be wrong, but this isn't like the Cooks situation where the other guys footed part of the bill. That's money that we can't spend on Parsons and Smith. If not for that, I'd be all for it, no questions asked. Gives us potentially the best WR room in the game for the next couple of seasons. I just don't see how you can field a team with so much money tied into one aspect of the team when others are already clearly failing.

jujoboys

Reaction score
The Jones boys are interested in getting Davante Adams and I am interested in winning the powerball lottery. The Jones boys and I have something in common when it comes to the thing we are interested in. Neither one of us feel the need to spend any money on the items we are interested in so the Jones boys won't sign Davante Adams and I will never win the lottery.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So what jersey number will Adams be wearing when he arrives in Dallas? I'm thinking 81. Is he in town yet?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Fish was skeptical in the morning, but solid reporting says the Cowboys inquired about what it would take to to get him.

My take? NO!!!!

OMG, fish and his headlines. they just kicked the tires and said no.....

he doesn't fit under the cap. he has a 35M base next year, we have Micah, Ferguson and Smith to resign.....it ain't happening.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'll believe they're serious about getting Davante Adams when I see it. :grin:
Let's hope he's interested when he hears what our FO is offering him. :muttley:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall whenever Stephen breaks the news to him . . .

Last edited: