Video: Fish on Tyron’s Future

Beaker42

Reaction score
So you're willing to use what pick on a LT? This team is starved for defense. I think the offense can still purr with a combo of Tyron for 10 games and a back up for 6, for example. The defense however is a struggle and we NEED to go heavy this offseason and draft. Maybe we get a tackle who drops to the 4th or 5th, and take a swing. In theory I'd rather that than going Tackle early in the draft. Although if we got a stud LT early I wouldn't be upset. Im just more concerned about the defense than the oline.
You take a LT in 1st or 2nd and all a after. We need a Lt who can step in and start when Tyron goes down - and he will.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
You take a LT in 1st or 2nd and all a after. We need a Lt who can step in and start when Tyron goes down - and he will.

If LT is far and away the best talent at the time then I'd be happy with it. If its close I'd prefer defense. Philbin can make it work with our depth. The oline was so battered this season and they managed to keep the offense a float. I think the silver lining is our depth grew leaps and bounds, some of them showed promise.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
its pure delusional to say we are gonna ride Tyron yet another season..lol..if we do that Dak will get hurt again. TIME for an upgrade!!! STOP sticking with injured players too long. KNOW WHEN TO SAY WHEN! Why has this org. always been this dang stubborn? MOVE ON FROM TYRON.

Can't fix everything at once. We need to focus on the defense.

If Tyron proves to be finished, then move Collins to his natural position LT and sort out RT with the players we have available, including Martin if needed.

I could live with a line of Collins, Williams, Biadasz, McGovern, Martin over any position group we have on the defensive side of the ball.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
It’s not personal and I have nothing against Tyron. I love him cheering for him but if he’s unable to finish or play in every game every single year, it’s a problem.

I hate fans that jump at other fans for being critical. This is a what have you done for me now business; it has been and always will be that way.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
If LT is far and away the best talent at the time then I'd be happy with it. If its close I'd prefer defense. Philbin can make it work with our depth. The oline was so battered this season and they managed to keep the offense a float. I think the silver lining is our depth grew leaps and bounds, some of them showed promise.
I think people are seeing the OL through the lens of having both tackles out, Martin out for several games, the swing tackle out, Looney out for a while, Biadasz out for a while, and Frederick having retired.

This was a nuclear disaster unlikely to be repeated. And if it is repeated, it will be a nuclear disaster again, regardless of who you have added.

Through that lens, it seems as if the loss of one player is insurmountable. But that really isn't the case. It is one thing to replace 1-2 starters, and it is another thing to replace 4 starters and a couple primary backups.

The Cowboys were essentially playing without their OL. Judging the state of that line when its components return is quite different than judging it without those components.

There also is an odd narrative in which good, durable players (Martin and Collins) are treated as damaged merchandise because they suffered a single injury. I've seen articles in which Collins isn't mentioned -- as if he doesn't exist.

I do understand the trepidation about Tyron's future. He has missed a lot of games in recent seasons. But I don't understand why people have zero faith that the surgery might change that narrative.

Maybe all of this stems from the shock of Frederick's untimely retirement. But that was a rare and unfortunate circumstance.

Good NFL OL generally have long careers. Many are effective well into their 30s.

It seems as if last year's horrid luck gave many of us battered fan syndrome.

CWR

Reaction score
I think people are seeing the OL through the lens of having both tackles out, Martin out for several games, the swing tackle out, Looney out for a while, Biadasz out for a while, and Frederick having retired.

This was a nuclear disaster unlikely to be repeated. And if it is repeated, it will be a nuclear disaster again, regardless of who you have added.

Through that lens, it seems as if the loss of one player is insurmountable. But that really isn't the case. It is one thing to replace 1-2 starters, and it is another thing to replace 4 starters and a couple primary backups.

The Cowboys were essentially playing without their OL. Judging the state of that line when its components return is quite different than judging it without those components.

There also is an odd narrative in which good, durable players (Martin and Collins) are treated as damaged merchandise because they suffered a single injury. I've seen articles in which Collins isn't mentioned -- as if he doesn't exist.

I do understand the trepidation about Tyron's future. He has missed a lot of games in recent seasons. But I don't understand why people have zero faith that the surgery might change that narrative.

Maybe all of this stems from the shock of Frederick's untimely retirement. But that was a rare and unfortunate circumstance.

Good NFL OL generally have long careers. Many are effective well into their 30s.

100%. It was an extraordinary series of unfortunate events, not likely to repeat itself. Besides that we got some good young guys in the bullpen who are capable in a pinch.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
100%. It was an extraordinary series of unfortunate events, not likely to repeat itself. Besides that we got some good young guys in the bullpen who are capable in a pinch.
Yep. That is the silver lining. Young guys were forced to play and improved. That should bode well for the future.

I think so many of us carelessly toss out the "next man up" trope that we forget there is a reason starters are starters and Pro Bowl players are Pro Bowl players. A team must have depth, but no team has a spare can of premium offensive linemen.

Loso86

Reaction score
its pure delusional to say we are gonna ride Tyron yet another season..lol..if we do that Dak will get hurt again. TIME for an upgrade!!! STOP sticking with injured players too long. KNOW WHEN TO SAY WHEN! Why has this org. always been this dang stubborn? MOVE ON FROM TYRON.
Not an upgrade but replacement. When he actually plays he is still top 5 in the league

Cebrin

Reaction score
That being said, Dak’s injury was a fluke. Pretty random, and unfortunate. He's a hoss.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
This entire bs write up is crap. I've heard nobody say anything close to anything suggest the fans don't like Smitty. Is he getting old, yeah, of course he is. Is he more limited, yeah, he is. But this fan base has shown love to Smitty since his arrival. The point behind all of this is, can you get value for him now, as opposed to waiting till he is done. That's about what all of this is about. But what ever, lets be stupid about things like we have been for 25 years and call it a day right.......
You are grumpier than Garrick Utley. Have you considered that this FO is sooooo reluctant to cut ties? Other teams recycle players like mad, me boy. We let them stay beyond shelf time and fester. but thats just me, a sports truth teller.

robertfchew

Reaction score

Collins isn't mentioned because it was reported that he was just out of shape then escalated to a season ender very quickly. Did he come in at 600 lbs or something?

phildadon86

Reaction score
I dont think that is the best route. When healthy Tyron is still a top 5 tackle in this league. And ive said from jump years ago he should have had his surgery then. Stephen didnt want him to. I think we see a better vs of Tyron than we have for years next season. Maybe im overly optimistic and thats fine. I just remember the difference in Dlaw after his surgery.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of y’all don’t like him (seems especially personal too I don’t know what he did to some of y’all lol), but he’s been on the right track on stuff as well. Here’s his quip about Tyron, paraphrasing, he indicated no one in Tyron or the FO’s circles has any clue where this “Tyron is done/wants to retire” stuff has come from. Watch here:

Personally, I think we should keep an eye on the future of the position (3rd/4th round pick) but unless he reinjures himself between now and camp he’s the starting LT next season.

P.S. He confirmed the team and La’el Collins expect him to start at RT as well.

We aren't going to find a decent left tackle in later rounds. If Tyron is done, you find his replacement in round 1.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Tyron Smith can't stay healthy, this team can no longer depend on Tyron Smith playing a full season, if healthy he's one of thee best left tackles in the NFL , that's a big "IF" though now in his career, and you're not finding some elite left tackle in the later rounds....Tyron had surgery on his neck, the big other problem is his back which is a constant problem and apparent when you watch him at times in games....If Slater is there at the tenth pick and Farley and Surtain are gone, I'd be taking Slater..
We dont know how he will be after surgery. If you recall a certain defensive end on this team was always hurt. Had one surgery and that particular issue never bothered him again. I know they are different situations but Tyron isnt make much for a LT and as you said. When hes healthy hes top 5. I say play him. Dont waste draft capital on a position that isnt a need right now. I mean. If leatherwood or someone of that caliber falls to the second round. Go for it. But not with a first round pick.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
love Tyron.
hope he's here for a long time.
That’s how I feel too. He’s still one of the top lt in the league when healthy.

I saw him out in Frisco and he looked good. Bought him a drink and we spoke for a bit. He said he’s healthy and feels good. Hopefully everyone in tact for next season.

cowboyec

Reaction score
That’s how I feel too. He’s still one of the top lt in the league when healthy.

I saw him out in Frisco and he looked good. Bought him a drink and we spoke for a bit. He said he’s healthy and feels good. Hopefully everyone in tact for next season.
awesome news.
cool story.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think most of us have heard the expression it is better to move on a year too early than it is a year too late. I think Tyron has been a great player for this team and yes I think there is still tread on the tire so to speak but I also think injuries have taken a toll and will continue to take a toll. Dallas is looking at a 10 mill saving by releasing post Jun 1st on Smith