Fish says Cowboys eyeing Marvin Wilson round 2

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Big powerful kid who disappears in games and has awful gap discipline...

Sounds kind of familiar. Hmmmmmmm...??

5246-14191-original.jpeg

https:%2F%2Fthelandryhat.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2018%2F08%2F1291060393-850x560.jpeg

Seems like we have a type.

And that type keeps causing us to have an awful run defense.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Lol. So horrible if true

Just what we’d need! Another lazy, unmotivated DT. I watched every FSU game he’s played in. Classic example when it’s good he’s rolling. Things turn bad and he’s a no show. I just don’t think he loves football
Yep. see my post.

I always fear the kid who can show you ultimate and total dominance on the field, and then chooses not to be dominant way too often. Wilson was outright pathetic on plays this year. Similar player and mentality as Trysten Hill, probably more gifted athletically.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Big powerful kid who disappears in games and has awful gap discipline...

Sounds kind of familiar. Hmmmmmmm...??

5246-14191-original.jpeg

https:%2F%2Fthelandryhat.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2018%2F08%2F1291060393-850x560.jpeg

Seems like we have a type.

And that type keeps causing us to have an awful run defense.

What's your thoughts on Milton Williams?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
What's your thoughts on Milton Williams?
Have to watch him more. He's on my "to-do" list.

His pro day numbers are impressive but two things I don't like. He's kind of Tyrone Crawford-type tweener. He was a DE and bulked up to play inside. I would say he could add some more size to become an every-down Tackle, but he recently added about 15 pounds of muscle, so I'm mot sure he can bulk up again and not lose some of his athleticism. The other thing that bothers me is that when I see a player like him show up with amazing athleticism at the Combine or Pro Day, and they played in a lesser conference like Conference USA, I want to see absolute dominance. In the little bit of game film I've seen on him, which are going to be "highlights," I just saw a guy who fought off some blocking from guys who will be teaching grade school PE or driving trucks in the near future, and tackling the running back in the gap. I expected to see him dismissing guys and pouncing into opposing backfields.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Have to watch him more. He's on my "to-do" list.

His pro day numbers are impressive but two things I don't like. He's kind of Tyrone Crawford-type tweener. He was a DE and bulked up to play inside. I would say he could add some more size to become an every-down Tackle, but he recently added about 15 pounds of muscle, so I'm mot sure he can bulk up again and not lose some of his athleticism. The other thing that bothers me is that when I see a player like him show up with amazing athleticism at the Combine or Pro Day, and they played in a lesser conference like Conference USA, I want to see absolute dominance. In the little bit of game film I've seen on him, which are going to be "highlights," I just saw a guy who fought off some blocking from guys who will be teaching grade school PE or driving trucks in the near future, and tackling the running back in the gap. I expected to see him dismissing guys and pouncing into opposing backfields.

By the way I signed up for the athletic today, it's like $1 a month for 6 months. Have access to Dane's Beast Guide and prospect breakdowns from Strum.

I just watched 1 game thus far with Williams, it was a bowl game. I saw him struggle to get off blocks and get pretty handled the majority of the game. He did however, have one flash play on a QB hit. I see another athletic, raw, traits players. I really hope someone else takes him and we take more of an established player. This front office sometimes falls in love with elite, athletic traits over football abilities.

Tough break on Farley, thought he has an excellent chance to become a Cowboy prior to his surgery.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't pay much attention to Fisher, though I'm sure he had legitimate contacts. The problem is his role -- he needs to churn out daily headlines so he pretty much throws everything against the wall. Some of it sticks. It isn't that he lacks contacts or legitimate info. It's that he can't afford to be judicious.

As for Wilson -- he had never been as far down the board as the media types have him slotted.
Yup, he has alot of air time to fill

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'd be very careful assuming Wilson and Trysten Hill are of the same caliber. Wilson at one point was regarded as one of the best DT's in college.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'd be very careful assuming Wilson and Trysten Hill are of the same caliber. Wilson at one point was regarded as one of the best DT's in college.

Two years ago. He flatlined after that. He was just flat out bad at times last year. He looked awful in some of their bigger games last year, like ND.

Wilson is a guy that has some skill but he’s got issues with motivation, focus, discipline that make him quite similar to what the issues with Hill were.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Two years ago. He flatlined after that. He was just flat out bad at times last year. He looked awful in some of their bigger games last year, like ND.

Wilson is a guy that has some skill but he’s got issues with motivation, focus, discipline that make him quite similar to what the issues with Hill were.
My question is when did they sit down with him for an interview? If Wilson is a guy you are high on, that is very critical. You need alot of info from the coaches as well as a good face to face with him to figure out what happened in 2020

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
You need alot of info from the coaches as well as a good face to face with him to figure out what happened in 2020
They got with that with Hill. They still drafted him. Coaches and even his trainer raised concerns about his work ethic, desire, and even his football IQ.

All because Marinelli got him to sign a "hard work" contract.

This is why we lose.

Lose might be harsh.

This is why we mediocre.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They got with that with Hill. They still drafted him. Coaches and even his trainer raised concerns about his work ethic, desire, and even his football IQ.

All because Marinelli got him to sign a "hard work" contract.

This is why we lose.

Lose might be harsh.

This is why we mediocre.
Marinelli thought he was still a DL guru. He could hear all that and still believe he can get the most out of a purely traits based prospect.

I really hope we have moved on from disregarding that kind of information. I dont know what kind of information we would get about Wilson, but of its as bad I hope we would listen this time. One difference between the two is at one point Wilson was a very good football player in the ACC. Hill was always a bad football player in the American conference

cnuball21

Reaction score
He had a knee injury last season.

"
On the field, a torn meniscus kept Wilson from being as disruptive as he was during his all-conference 2019 and shut him down in mid-November.

“It definitely was one of the hardest things ever,” Wilson said. “... When it first happened, they wanted me to get surgery, but I didn’t. I was fighting it. I fought as long as I could until we all came to the conclusion that it was best for me at the time (to shut down).”

NFL draft: Marvin Wilson doesn’t regret final FSU football season, even if it cost him millions (tampabay.com)

I knew something was up...he looked like a sure fire first rounder based on 2019 tape and just wasn’t the same last year.

If this is legit, and his current medical check out, he jumps back up in my DT rankings.

Him and McNeil are top targets.

morasp

Reaction score
I knew something was up...he looked like a sure fire first rounder based on 2019 tape and just wasn’t the same last year.

If this is legit, and his current medical check out, he jumps back up in my DT rankings.

Him and McNeil are top targets.

They're prett close but in 2019 other than a half sack, Wilson had favorable stats in one less game played
2019 McNeill (10 games played) vs. Wilson (9 games played)
Sacks 5.5 vs 5
Total tackles 28 vs 44
solo tackles 16 vs 19
Tackles for loss 7.5 vs 8.5
Passes defended (Wilson is good at batting down balls) 2 vs 4
Forced fumbles 0 vs 1

Rayman70

Reaction score
Fish might be duping folks. Its his job to put info out there..sometimes its true and sometimes its useful for the team. I doubt Wilson would be the pick at 44.

rambo2

Reaction score
Fish might be duping folks. Its his job to put info out there..sometimes its true and sometimes its useful for the team. I doubt Wilson would be the pick at 44.
44 is too high for him. There will be players ranked much higher on the board and there will be some players that become very good.

fansince68

Reaction score
I mean at this point anything Fish says is not worth much.

However, the Cowboys taking Wilson in the second would be such a reach. But they don't seem to know what they are doing at DT so I guess taking Wilson would be a typical boneheaded move for them at the position.
Agreed, they don't know how to draft DT nor do they know how to pick wisely in the 2nd round.