Fish Show: 2 Scouts say Cowboys coaches asking too much of Dak

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Good show, about what 2 scouts told Fish about Cowboys, just their opinion.
One thing that came out of it is both JG and MM have asked Dak to do too much, instead of just letting him be who he is.
So to me it is what I sometimes talk about, it is how you use a player that matters. Dont force a square peg into a round hole, it doesnt work very good.

They talk about dak, guyton,beebe (he should be center only, not a guard) and some other guys and stuff.

Insert Captain Obvious meme here. At least they're talking about it I guess, but anybody with a brain watching these games knows that Dak can't carry this team through the playoffs. They need a very strong running game and a stout defense so they're not relying on him so much.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I wonder is they asked him not to throw 2 picks in the first half of the Packers game?

Sounds downright inhumane.
you think our defense played well? or CD dropping passes that hit him in the hand and then crying on the sideline? you think those were good?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Nobody wants to talk about that! Even C.D. was a little pissed.
yeah, CD needs to worry about catching passes that hit him in the hand. you want to be highest paid WR and consider yourself one of the best, then catch easy passes and stop crying on the sideline.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good show, about what 2 scouts told Fish about Cowboys, just their opinion.
One thing that came out of it is both JG and MM have asked Dak to do too much, instead of just letting him be who he is.
So to me it is what I sometimes talk about, it is how you use a player that matters. Dont force a square peg into a round hole, it doesnt work very good.

They talk about dak, guyton,beebe (he should be center only, not a guard) and some other guys and stuff.

I believe this front office has NEVER understood what it had in Dak or Romo. Both are/were good but NOT great QBs. Good enough to get a team to the playoffs, but NOT ELITE enough to carry a team through the playoffs on their own. Jerry has never understood this. Still doesn’t.

Honestly, there’s only 2 current QBs in this league capable of carrying a team deep in the playoffs. Mahomes and Burrow. That’s it. Only 2.

What Dak and Romo need/needed are exactly what a guy like Joe Flacco or Russell Wilson needed: Either a great defense and/or a great running game. At least one is needed, and if it’s a great running game, you have to have at least a good defense. Romo’s best season was 2014 when we led the league in rushing

Flacco won a SB with the ravens and made it to several AFC championship games with a great defense. Wilson won two NFC championships and a SB with a great defense and a top 5 running game. We’ve seen what Wilson is without it.

Yes, Dak deserves some blame for our playoff failures. For sure sure. But those blaming him alone are IMO failing to see the bigger issue of this team’s challenges. Unless you have Mahomes or Burrow, you can’t expect a QB to carry you alone. “Earth to Jerry”……

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Stop comparing him to Brady and Rodgers. Dak is neither of those guys. But the fact we can only name 3 guys like them, including Mahomes, tells you the chances of finding a QB to compare to them is slim to none, so let's stop pretending cutting Dak automatically results in the next HoF QB playing in Dallas. And of the 3, 1 is retired, 1 is almost retired and over 40. Guy like that are exceedingly rare.

In the meantime, worse QBs than Dak have won Super Bowls. Dak can too, but not for the Cowboys because the truth is Jerry never goes all in to win. Every year we watch teams sign top tier free agents to plug gaps in their rosters while the Cowboys look for the trash other teams discard. Then they sell us the you-know-what sandwich that they have a team of stars, every draft pick is a steal, and their goal is the Super Bowl. We are witnessing it all again now with the vidoes of our draft picks playing like future hall of famers as each play is cherry picked to show how great the guys is.

This year we entered the off-season with two glaring problems, we can't run the football and we can't stop the run. We lost Pollard to free agency, and who did the Cowboys sign to replace him? Royce Freeman and Zeke. Where is the improvement? How about on defense. We let 4 defensive linemen go to free agency, including the best run stopping DT on the team. To replace them? A second round draft pick that I can't really complain about, and a 7th round draft pick. We will enter the 2024 season with the same 2 problems we had last year, plus, we have no #2 WR.

Dak is not the problem, unless he holds the team up for a $60 million contract. The problem is the rest of the roster isn't good enough to win and it is not good enough to win because Jerry is not willing to go "all in", ever. It has nothing to do with the salary CAP.
I tend to agree with you. not sure why everyone keeps making those comparisons when everyone agrees, Dak is not them. they are crying about not having one of those guys, because they see the only path to success with having an Elite QB. they think that and that alone is what ails cowboys and that and that alone is the only thing needed to fix it.

so lets find an elite QB.....tell me who? and I asked several put your name next to a QB in this draft you think is elite. they responded with, its not my job, its scouting Dept. job. but I want what I want.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
ok, its Dak's fault. lets regurgigate the 17292 comments from the past 176 threads on GB game. we need to hit 22000 comments and 200 pages before calling it done.

you missed the forest because of the trees. get it!
You don't like the thread, don't read it! Stop vietching about it and move on. Dak sucks!

tunahelper

Reaction score
If he's not as good as top QBs then you don't pay him like a top QB.
Of course. Jerry as business man understands value very well. However, he also understands the sell. If he played hardball with Dak and had to find another QB he would jeopardize sales and revenue because the team would struggle until a replacement QB was found.

This is the main issue with Jerry being GM. He thinks about the sell more than building a contender. One would think they are the same but not necessarily with Dallas. Dallas is a brand so winning sustains the brand in terms of revenue which is Jerry's priority.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
We've gone through this ad nauseam, even if we find a team, it's not in Dak's interest to waive the NTC. He's prepared to sit on the bench for a year (even if Jerry was brave enough to bench him....which he's not), he'll then hit the 2025 free agency based on his 2023 years work (and France will sell him as being fresh due to having a rest).
You're not taking Daks pride into consideration. He MIGHT accept a trade if it's to a contending team and he realizes that Dallas wants to move on from him. Dak believes that he is a top qb and if he just had the right team around him, he could go... all... the... way! Just my 2 cents.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Hard to find suitors that will take an overpaid player that underperformed is the playoffs. Cousins fits part of that description but he was able to be brought on a new contract......gonna have to resurrect Al Davis to find someone foolish enough to give us anything for him.

The reboot is truly necessary
Hey ... Cleveland took that rapist, so anything is in the realm of possibility!

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well it is central to everything we do moving forward.

To be fair, if Dak had played with even a modicum of control ,vrs GB, he would of been extended by now.
Not so sure
It's way more than GB, it's every big game he's involved in.
EVER. Jerry realized this, or at least began realizing this a year ago, and accepted it during TC last year. There is no way Dak could be consistent enough to get to the Super Bowl. So if you're a team biding time while you do a multi year rebuild, Dak is your guy. But only at a greatly reduced salary.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I’ve been saying that since year 2. Dak can make some highlight plays but the team shouldnt be living off of that.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You're not taking Daks pride into consideration. He MIGHT accept a trade if it's to a contending team and he realizes that Dallas wants to move on from him. Dak believes that he is a top qb and if he just had the right team around him, he could go... all... the... way! Just my 2 cents.
The problem with your position is that there have to be many different scenario's/working parts needed to fall into place....however there isn't one team that fit's them all.
A) Which condending team would want Dak on a one year deal.... and pay draft capital to get him?
B) Best fit ....possibly Raiders, where he'd have to learn the offense and quickly....as their running game's worse than ours. They arent signing over draft capital for one year imo.
C) He's probably not signing an extension if he's traded as conceivably there are teams that won't want him in 2024, but may well be in the market in 2025: Detroit, Miami and Dallas..... so he's not going to extend with the teams that'll probably want him in 2024.
He may be able to go all the way, however, there isn't an team in that scenario that'll want him in 2024.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Not so sure
It's way more than GB, it's every big game he's involved in.
EVER. Jerry realized this, or at least began realizing this a year ago, and accepted it during TC last year. There is no way Dak could be consistent enough to get to the Super Bowl. So if you're a team biding time while you do a multi year rebuild, Dak is your guy. But only at a greatly reduced salary.
No, for us it isn't just the GB game, however, before that game one of the Pro-Dak arguments was that his only really big meltdowns came vrs SF. Even in season it was the SF game that was the lowlight (excuses could be made that 3 of the O-Line missed the Arizona defeat).
What the GB showed, especially to Jerry, was that the problem wasn't exclusively down to the 9ers, the issue was more likely a problem in stressful high leverage scenarios.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
If he wants to be paid like the top they’re going to expect him to play like the top. How is that asking a lot of him? He’s had a ton of help over the years with what 9 All pro’s last year? I think they’re finally at the it’s time to put up point. I thinks it’s an odd argument they’re making.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Dak's a glorified back up that got lucky to be drafted onto a stacked offense that continued to stay stacked throughout his 8 years here. He is one of many, and I mean many, QBs that would've had the same amount of success here the past 8 years.

He has made generation wealth off the backs of others.

The Cowboys, for Daks entire career, are at their worst when Dak is required to carry his own weight a little.

Nobody has ever done more when it mattered less.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
How many times have opposing players told media that Dallas Offense is easy to read over years?
I remember Minn, in Dallas, bench players yelling out upcoming Dallas play....likely was a Zimm defense.
So, ya....lets simplify it more for a 1 read Qb.

Solution ...get the O.Line to a irresitible force, that forces a def to bring 8+ into box, then like 90's Cowboys, can pik their poison of choice
.....Jimmie Ward after SF Play-off game (1) and then repeated the same a year later after game 2.
.....take the run game away and see if Dak can beat you.

sbark

Reaction score
How many times has it been posted .. Dak sucks?
There is your answer. :muttley:
I didnt say that ....lol

Heck the simplicity problem was a issue with Garrett & Romo already....
Now, as we listen to Romo color analysis i doubt he was the limiting factor.....moreso wr etc id say

Present day....dak sucks ....loool