Twitter: Fish suggesting Dan Quinn and Russell Wilson to the Broncos

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
...Quinn seems like intelligent fellow. He knows something good is brewing here. WHy move from it now? If it grows, his stock also goes up.
Because he could make at least double what he would as a DC and if it doesn't work out, he gets walk away money.

For some reason, some have the tendency to think these guys are above the money because of the profession they've chosen but they're human and the money matters. Parcells stayed an extra year for the money and Brian Kelly chased it.

Quinn's stock as a DC was never higher than it was with the Legion of Boom and he got the ATL job off that. I doubt he is going to be satisfied remaining a DC. And he took a team to the Big Dance, what kind of taste did that leave in his mouth?

And look at this from strictly the competitive viewpoint, how many really good HC's are there in the NFL? They turn over 20-25% every year.....every year. Take Belichick, Reid, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Carroll and Zimmer out of it and the turnover is horrendous. Think Quinn is not going to wade in there for a 5M X 4 minimum deal. They coach players making more than that in 1 year.

Look at the NFC East, how many coaches in 3 years? 8, and the Giants may change again.

These owners go into these HC deals with 4 year contracts with the realization it will be more like 2 so they're paying the same amount to the HC line on their budget as NE, BAL, SEA, KC, MIN and PIT. These owners are resigned to the fact that they will keep hiring until they get the right guy and even then, it's not guaranteed, see Pederson and Quinn.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I know it's Fish but honestly, from what I'm reading/hearing, Quinn's name is getting louder and louder as a major candidate for HC position. Also according to SI writer, owners may take a closer look at hiring recycled coaches.

So, does that ideal person exist in the candidate pool right now? The word we had gotten from coaching insiders throughout the process of reporting out our initial list in September and our final candidate list in December is that there might be a premium put on tenured assistants and second-chance head coaches. Dan Quinn. Doug Pederson. Josh McDaniels. Todd Bowles. Raheem Morris. Coaches who are going to make it look professional right away, and bring with them a tenured, NFL-caliber staff.

fish, the "click bait" man...he tries so hard. you have no real material. then you create click baits

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I don't have sources or inside knowledge, but I would be surprised if Quinn jumped ship this quickly. I think he's in a great spot right now after a tumultuous time in Atlanta and I wouldn't be surprised if he hangs around for a few years.

I disagree. He was demoted from HC. Back to paying his dues at a lower position. He is for sure itching to get another shot. And Denver is definitely not a bad spot. Much better than say a Jax, Houston or Detroit.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I doubt Quinn goes anywhere. He likes coaching defense and is good at it.

He mentioned a while ago in an interview about being a DC again that he likes "knowing where his feet are". If true, I don't think he wants to be a HC.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Because he could make at least double what he would as a DC and if it doesn't work out, he gets walk away money.

For some reason, some have the tendency to think these guys are above the money because of the profession they've chosen but they're human and them money matters. Parcells stayed an extra year for the money and Brian Kelly chased it.

Quinn's stock as a DC was never higher than it was with the Legion of Boom and he got the ATL job off that. I doubt he is going to be satisfied remaining a DC. And he took a team to the Big Dance, what kind of taste did that leave in his mouth?

And look at this from strictly the competitive viewpoint, how many really good HC's are there in the NFL? They turn over 20-25% every year.....every year. Take Belichick, Reid, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Carroll and Zimmer out of it and the turnover is horrendous. Think Quinn is not going to wade in there for a 5M X 4 minimum deal. They coach players making more than that in 1 year.

Look at the NFC East, how many coaches in 3 years? 8, and the Giants may change again.

These owners go into these HC deals with 4 year contracts with the realization it will be more like 2 so they're paying the same amount to the HC line on their budget as NE, BAL, SEA, KC, MIN and PIT. These owners are resigned to the fact that they will keep hiring until they get the right guy and even then, it's not guaranteed, see Pederson and Quinn.

Great post.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
And as far as Dan Quinn... if Russell Wilson is involved in the deal, I think that's a no brainer HC job. Their offense is stacked with toys, their defense has pieces, throw in a Hall of Fame quarterback and they are an instant contender. There's no rebuild like with say Jacksonville or Houston, it's a turnkey job. Probably the best one on the market if it does come with Wilson.

Wilson I can understand, but why would they replace Fangio with Quinn?

I am not saying Quinn is a bad coach, but rather that Fangio is a defensive-minded coach and the Broncos defense has been good for the most part, so if they were going to switch coaches it would make more sense to get an offensive-minded coach since that is where the problem area is.

That said, the Bronco's main problem has been with not having a franchise quarterback, which Bridgewater is not despite how he looked against the Cowboys.

The smart move for the Broncos would be to improve their offense with someone like Wilson.

I agree. Fangio is a seriously talented defensive coordinator who's proved his bona fides many times over. What's sinking him is his QB position. Fangio shouldn't have to die for Drew Lock's sins.

Last edited:

Praxit

Reaction score

For some reason, some have the tendency to think these guys are above the money because of the profession they've chosen but they're human and them money matters. Parcells stayed an extra year for the money and Brian Kelly chased it.

....reasonable input, CC. I agree with the money part, since it drives the world around. I guess it will depend on DQ's personal value. Does he want the stress and bigger overhead of HC?

Or perhaps, he might see some type of Legion of Boom thing growing here? It still goes on his resume as win/win situation.

You mentioned having gone to big dance as HC and lost. It was the most EMBARRASSING one I can remember.. Yep, I would want to clean my slate as well. ;)..

Cowboyny

Reaction score
In other words, losing him is now than the 50/50 shot I was thinking earlier in the season. It's a real possibility IMO.......
It's very possible we could lose him, in that event I bet Joe Whitt is next in line. Worked with MM for many years, even was the defensive play caller when Quinn was out due to covid.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It's very possible we could lose him, in that event I bet Joe Whitt is next in line. Worked with MM for many years, even was the defensive play caller when Quinn was out due to covid.

Yep...you're probably right

Two sources told CowboysSI.com at year ago that at one time, the Dallas pick for defensive coordinator was going to be Joe Whitt Jr. Whitt Jr., like Nolan, is also highly-credentialed. Whitt Jr., 42, joined McCarthy's Packers staff in 2008 as a quality-control assistant, and then spent a decade as a top aide on defense, first as the secondary coach and then in 2018 - McCarthy's final season in Green Bay - as his defensive passing game coordinator.

CWR

Reaction score
That would suck, but a few weeks ago KM was a genius so let's see what happens. Hopefully they realize he's a better DC than HC. I HOPE

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yep...you're probably right

Two sources told CowboysSI.com at year ago that at one time, the Dallas pick for defensive coordinator was going to be Joe Whitt Jr. Whitt Jr., like Nolan, is also highly-credentialed. Whitt Jr., 42, joined McCarthy's Packers staff in 2008 as a quality-control assistant, and then spent a decade as a top aide on defense, first as the secondary coach and then in 2018 - McCarthy's final season in Green Bay - as his defensive passing game coordinator.

Think he would be their #1 choice, but no need to worry about next yr just yet.