Twitter: Fisher: Glazer: Dak not going anywhere, not asking for $40M

Diehardblues

Reaction score
From what I've heard, the origination of the "$40 million" quote was simply an agent response to the Cowboys initial lowball offer of $25 million a year. When they received that offer from the Cowboys, they were rightly angered and decided to "float the rumor" that he was looking for $40 million. It was retaliation, nothing they ever seriously asked for.
If 25 million was their offer then Jethro and Son are smarter than I thought because that’s exactly the neighborhood of Daks value.

Kaiser

Reaction score
No player takes a discount on his first negotiated contract
The next one he might but even guys like Brady who took a team friendly deal later didn’t on the first one

Exactly, Dak's response is going to be "Sure, but first show me any player in recorded history that ever did that. I'll go second".

Qcard

Reaction score
Problem with that is can Dak elevate those around him like Romo did with Miles Austin and Laurence Robinson who had their career numbers while with Dallas and Romo.
Here is the perfect example of Romo's hype machine. I Love Romo but elevated to WHAT exactly? They got big contracts but Romo's playoff record is putrid. Since when did Cowboys Franchise elevation standards drop?
Romo only really had the luxury of an All Pro OL, League leading RB and WR1 together one season in 2014 and came within (a catch that wasn’t) from our 1st championship appearance in two decades.

Too bad we never fielded that combination together again.

I’d argue that was our best offensive team since the 90’s. One that was as close to championship caliber as we’ve had. Unfortunately Romo wasn’t afforded that caliber of Elite supporting cast throughout his career.
Romo's greatest chance came with Parcells in 2006 when he fumbled the snap....I don't care what talent Garrett had, Jason and Tony never had the formula....one is very good Coordinator that kept HC 6 more years than deserved and the other no more than Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor. Romo is our special player but he is viewed as a very good QB no HOF votes...

tunahelper

Reaction score
I don't care if he's asking for $40 million or "only" $36-38 million. That's a lot of money for a QB that hasn't done anything more than win a division title.

Yes, it takes a supporting cast - QBs don't win championships on their own - but a huge QB contract only makes that a harder task. I'm skeptical.

I don't care if he is asking for 10 million if we can get Tom Brady. If there is any remote possibility to get Brady, trade Dak and sign Brady in a heartbeat.

kskboys

Reaction score
The next one he might but even guys like Brady who took a team friendly deal later didn’t on the first one
It's not a discount. It's about where he should be. I like Dak, but up to this point I haven't seen consistent play from him. I'm hoping that was on the previous craptastic coaching regime, we'll see.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Daks worth is actually according to talent level then in the 20 million range rather than 30 then it’s not actually a discount. It’s more about Dak over evaluating his worth.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Here is the perfect example of Romo's hype machine. I Love Romo but elevated to WHAT exactly? They got big contracts but Romo's playoff record is putrid. Since when did Cowboys Franchise elevation standards drop?

Romo's greatest chance came with Parcells in 2006 when he fumbled the snap....I don't care what talent Garrett had, Jason and Tony never had the formula....one is very good Coordinator that kept HC 6 more years than deserved and the other no more than Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor. Romo is our special player but he is viewed as a very good QB no HOF votes...
Elevating the talent around him. That means they’re best individual production was with Romo. Not sure how much clearer I can state that. That doesn’t mean it cumulated into championships. Lol

Romo’s best supporting cast and teams were in 2007 and 2014. You may not care but it matters and why those teams came closer to breaking thru.

Now I would add if we had Bill coaching those teams our chances would have increased .

Last edited:

_sturt_

Reaction score
LOL......Like I said in another thread, Dak's going need some thick skin once his deal is signed. It's going to get ugly, brutal and downright nasty at times. I hope he's ready.......

Well, I suppose the Jerry-Whisperer over at Fox has spoken. That's all I needed to know.

:D

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, more ugly. Dak gave the franchise a pile of wins for a 4th round comp pick and minimum wage salaries - and look the comments he got here for that.

I did some quick math the other day and Jared Goff has already pocketed over $50 million in salaries and bonuses money while Dak has made less than $3 million. Goff has his new deal, and over $100 million in guarantees in it. On top of the pile of money he's already received as the #1 overall pick. And Wentz of course isn't far behind.

Dak is.

Waaayyyy behind.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I did some quick math the other day and Jared Goff has already pocketed over $50 million in salaries and bonuses money while Dak has made less than $3 million. Goff has his new deal, and over $100 million in guarantees in it. On top of the pile of money he's already received as the #1 overall pick. And Wentz of course isn't far behind.

Dak is.

Waaayyyy behind.

Exactly, and there is a strong argument that Goff was a product of McVay's system.

Verdict

Reaction score
If it's us who pays him, we're done. That means we'll have way too much money tied up in 4 players. Can't win super bowls that way.

You can overpay a player and get by with it. But you can’t overpay several and field a complete team. It’s even worse when the guy you overpay doesn’t perform. Tank now. (Dez historically).

Dak has the team over a bit of a barrel. Hopefully they will work out something in terms of fair for him but not cap crippling.

If you pay Dak anywhere near $35M, the team probably needs to move on from Byron OR Cooper (or both) to maintain cap integrity going forward. A tag and trade would be ideal.

Tank’s contract was ok in a vacuum, but it’s not in a vacuum. I would be open for business on pretty much every top end contract at all times. Zeke, Cooper, Byron, Tank, Martin, Frederick, Tyron, etc.

A team should always be looking to upgrade the roster and get something out of a player. That’s why the Patriots traded Chandler Jones, they wanted to preserve the integrity of their cap and get something for the player.

We have been pretty good at identifying OL talent (with the possible exception of Connor Williams). We should be taking advantage of that by drafting OL if we identify good young replacement talent and be flipping those high end contracts for high draft picks.

Kaiser

Reaction score
And Wentz of course isn't far behind.

Actual video of Carson Wentz 20 minutes after signing his extension:

tumblr_lr4goexwqx1qewhjpo1_400.gifv

StuckMojo

Reaction score

Dak is.

Waaayyyy behind.

Dak got exactly what he deserved as a 4th round pick.