Fisher: Restructuring Dez contract?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For once he makes sense

Should have done it with DWare

Only other option is a trade...... I guarantee that if Dez was cut on Monday he would have multiple suitors lined up to sign him on Tuesday
No offers remotely close to his current salary...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’d get paid more than people expect, though not a long term deal probably. And there’s no doubt in my mind he’d take less to play elsewhere in principle rather than taking a pay cut here.

Which is why I think an extension with incentives is what we end up with for Dez. Bring his hit down, give him a year to work with Lal, and see where we get.

gmoney112

Reaction score
1) Fisher is awful.

2) This isn't really some sort of crazy secret, it's just accounting that most people that talk about the cap already realize. An extra year to spread the hit. That's all he's talking about.

His word choice is weird though, this isn't magic and I don't know why he's making it sound like it. Whatever you decide to restructure, you will pay. You don't "save" anything, you simply move it.

Numbers don't magically get deleted off your ledger, but you can rearrange them.

Anytime you're restructuring you're kicking the can, not sure why he said you aren't here. If it allows you more flexibility, great. It all depends on what your goals are and what you want to accomplish.

In general, restructuring your solid players is considered a worthwhile move because the same amount next year, and the year after, are proportionally smaller relative to the cap than they are today. The problem comes when you're irresponsible or major injuries occur. Generally, a restructure here and there are fine and even smart, but you want to hedge some risk by not going crazy with it.

I wouldn't restructure Dez unless I felt completely confident about keeping him, have fielded possible trades for him already, or if there's absolutely another player I'm pursuing hard in FA. If there's any chance of a cut, then no, I'm not keeping him on the books longer than I need.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Bill would of shipped him off instead of giving him a big contract. I say trade or cut Dez at this point if I got a third I’d jump over the moon. If Dez was a free agent I think he would get in the neighborhood of 3 years 28-30mil with like 12-14 guaranteed.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yeah, but whoever picked him up wouldn’t pay him what he’s getting here.

Then they wouldn't trade for him, they would hope we cut him.

I don't see any team actually trading for Dez, unless it's a late late pick they're treating as a chance to gain the rights to try him out for a summer, and maybe put the screws to him on his contract come August.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Dez is not going to be cut or traded just another wwwwaaaahhhh thread

yimyammer

Reaction score
Difference in Dallas and NE. Bill would cut him so quick it would make his head swim.
Then go get the next no name WR and make him a top fantasy pick next year.

and if presented with the opportunity to draft Dez, he would probably pass, trade down in the draft and get an extra 3rd round pick in the process.

wait, that actually happened

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I read the article but I’m not completely convinced Mike Fischer is a dependably good voice to listen to. I live in the Dallas area and listen to him on the radio occasionally. He works for 105.3 “the Fan”, which is the flagship station of the Cowboys and has a reputation for being beholden to Jerry. Most folks on there never ask Jerry or Stephen anything but softball questions.

Pretty sure what Fischer is saying is correct but I’m still not convinced it’s the best move for the Cowboys. I lean toward cutting Dez post June 1 and saving lots of cap space, signing a FA WR and drafting one as well. I just don’t think Dez at 30 has enough left in his game to justify that kind of money.

Course I’ve been wrong before, lol.

The fan like the ticket talk a big game, but yes, when they are actually face to face with Jerry or anyone in the organization, they fail to ask the tough questions.
Like the nerd saying he will kick the jocks arse to others, but when face to face, they want to hold his jock.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Dez should voluntarily allow his contract to be restructured or risk being trade bait at some time in the future. I hope our first draft pick this year is a speed WR with great hands that will challenge Dez for his job.

John813

Reaction score
1) Fisher is awful.

2) This isn't really some sort of crazy secret, it's just accounting that most people that talk about the cap already realize. An extra year to spread the hit. That's all he's talking about.

His word choice is weird though, this isn't magic and I don't know why he's making it sound like it. Whatever you decide to restructure, you will pay. You don't "save" anything, you simply move it.

Numbers don't magically get deleted off your ledger, but you can rearrange them.

Anytime you're restructuring you're kicking the can, not sure why he said you aren't here. If it allows you more flexibility, great. It all depends on what your goals are and what you want to accomplish.

In general, restructuring your solid players is considered a worthwhile move because the same amount next year, and the year after, are proportionally smaller relative to the cap than they are today. The problem comes when you're irresponsible or major injuries occur. Generally, a restructure here and there are fine and even smart, but you want to hedge some risk by not going crazy with it.

I wouldn't restructure Dez unless I felt completely confident about keeping him, have fielded possible trades for him already, or if there's absolutely another player I'm pursuing hard in FA. If there's any chance of a cut, then no, I'm not keeping him on the books longer than I need.

Yup. We restructured some of our core guys over the years. We never have touched Dezs contract even though we could of freed up some more space in the past by doing so.
Dunno if it's Stephen that doesn't want to do it or what. My feeling is that they may give one more year but if he fails to click with Dak then he is gone next year and we save a lot of cap.
No point in restructuring when you are unsure of a players future.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fan like the ticket talk a big game, but yes, when they are actually face to face with Jerry or anyone in the organization, they fail to ask the tough questions.
Like the nerd saying he will kick the jocks arse to others, but when face to face, they want to hold his jock.
Actually Jerry Jones won’t ever be interviewed on Dallas sports radio station “The Ticket” because he doesn’t like getting anything but softball questions.

Jerry used to allow fans to call in and ask questions but JJ no longer allows that. His weekly radio show is sycophant suck up show where Jerry controls the discussion and usually follows a question with a long story that by the end everyone can’t even remember what the question was.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Actually Jerry Jones won’t ever be interviewed on Dallas sports radio station “The Ticket” because he doesn’t like getting anything but softball questions.

Jerry used to allow fans to call in and ask questions but JJ no longer allows that. His weekly radio show is sycophant suck up show where Jerry controls the discussion and usually follows a question with a long story that by the end everyone can’t even remember what the question was.
Realistically, can you blame him for not wanting to deal with the copious amount of idiot fans who just want to roast him? How many times would you want to answer the same few questions over and over?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Realistically, can you blame him for not wanting to deal with the copious amount of idiot fans who just want to roast him? How many times would you want to answer the same few questions over and over?
When the Ticket hosted Jerry’s show from like 2000-2004, they allowed 2-3 fan questions that were screened by the producer. I didn’t hear every show of course, but the ones I did hear, the fan questions were thoughtful and well done. Most of the questions I remember centered around what rationale he had for the moves he made.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Take note that nobody has even tried to refute this fact.
Of course not.

But there would be five teams lined up!

When is the last time an even somewhat decorated player went unsigned for days or weeks? Hardly ever.

I guess that is all some have left to defend him.

Bottomline, if Stephen Jones starts talking about him being a distraction, things are not good. That just means all the shine is off and all of that business about him being an inspirational beacon for the entire team is not there anymore. And his salary is not being justified by his performance.

sbark

Reaction score
Is it purely a decline on Dez's part, or is it a combination of scheme, a QB's that doesnt click with dez, late out with the ball, bit innacurate..........

From Dez' point of view........to depend on incentives with him being able to control only 1 of 3 facets of the game has to raise his eyebrows.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
For once he makes sense

Should have done it with DWare

Only other option is a trade...... I guarantee that if Dez was cut on Monday he would have multiple suitors lined up to sign him on Tuesday

You are right he would but NOT with that contract! Nobody is going to trade for that contract so he would still have to agree to a restructuring.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course not.

When is the last time an even somewhat decorated player went unsigned for days or weeks? Hardly ever.

Bottomline, if Stephen Jones starts talking about him being a distraction, things are not good. That just means all the shine is off and all of that business about him being an inspirational beacon for the entire team is not there anymore. And his salary is not being justified by his performance.

I believe I read that he was top 5 in salary. And his stats were somewhere in the 30-range. Add in the fact that he hasn't come close to even a 1,000 yard season in the past 3 years and something's gotta give.

I'm not advocating running him off on a rail, but the team has to have enough resolve to follow through on any threat to cut him. If not, they've got no teeth and are nothing more than a bunch of wimps who will huff and puff about their complaints, while ultimately doing nothing.

And I'm not interested in any "kick the can" down the road deal like Bryant mouthpiece Mike Fisher is talking about. Why should "Dez get his money" for another year when the results haven't been there for three years already?

There's obviously enough fire that we're reading about all of this smoke publicly. Both sides are posturing, and now we'll have to see who's all bark, and who actually has bite.

But the undeniable fact is that the team isn't getting close to the proper bang for the buck and that needs to change - now.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Of course not.

Yeah but Dez is passionate. :muttley: