Fisher: Restructuring Dez contract?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Not sure what kind of FA WR you are going to get given our cap situation. The money you save on Dez as a June 1 isn't available until after June 1. So if you want to go out and use Dez's money to sign a younger #1 type, you are going to have to move some cap money around for sure.
That is part of the problem. I know people think we have a shot at players like Jarvis Landry etc., but that is simply not going to happen.

Sydla

Reaction score
That is part of the problem. I know people think we have a shot at players like Jarvis Landry etc., but that is simply not going to happen.

In theory I guess we could........... cut Bryant and then restructure a bunch of guys and then create the space needed to sign or tag Lawrence, sign a few depth guys, maybe Hitchens and then still have money for Landry and the cap cushion they seem to like to have.

But how smart is that?

Alexander

Reaction score
There were other factors as well. dak's footwork was bad under pressure. He got sacked, hit and hurried more and we also had some issues with the O line in terms of pass protection.
His footwork issues became problematic when teams would take away the quick short stuff and make him look downfield. There were not a lot of jailbreaks in pass pressure. There were a lot of situations where his first read or two were restricted and he had to process his next move, by then it was too late.

He had plenty of time to throw most of the time (minus Chaz Green), he was not very quick going through the progressions. The patented Garrett design routes that you could time with an hourglass did not help either.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That stopped being a selling point a long time ago.

Veteran players that eat up a huge chunk of your team's cap need to bring more to the table than passion.

Not to mention the fact that every corner he plays knows the book on him. It takes little effort to "get to him" and rattle him. He's an easy target to get to lose his cool and do something stupid or check out of the game.

His "passion" has been both blessing and curse. Certainly more of the curse variety lately, as it sure hasn't translated into production for several seasons now.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For once he makes sense

Should have done it with DWare

Only other option is a trade...... I guarantee that if Dez was cut on Monday he would have multiple suitors lined up to sign him on Tuesday
From the CFL....maybe.

Alexander

Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that every corner he plays knows the book on him. It takes little effort to "get to him" and rattle him. He's an easy target to get to lose his cool and do something stupid or check out of the game.

His "passion" has been both blessing and curse. Certainly more of the curse variety lately, as it sure hasn't translated into production for several seasons now.
It is one thing to struggle dueling with a top corner like Richard Sherman or Josh Norman.

When the likes of Breshaud Breeland showed they could get in his head, it is pretty clear he is not and will never be mentally mature.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is one thing to struggle dueling with a top corner like Richard Sherman or Josh Norman.

When the likes of Breshaud Breeland showed they could get in his head, it is pretty clear he is not and will never be mentally mature.

The list of "shutdown corners" that Dez Bryant has to face continues to grow and grow.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
His footwork issues became problematic when teams would take away the quick short stuff and make him look downfield. There were not a lot of jailbreaks in pass pressure. There were a lot of situations where his first read or two were restricted and he had to process his next move, by then it was too late.

He had plenty of time to throw most of the time (minus Chaz Green), he was not very quick going through the progressions. The patented Garrett design routes that you could time with an hourglass did not help either.
I was referring to when we "tried" to replace Smith when he couldn't play. 8 sacks is substantial and Dak got his backside handed to him all game. There were a couple of games like this.
I agree with your point too though. A combo of things effected the offense.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
And they have lost a lot of really good players
Richard Seymour. Aqib Talib, Darrell Revis, Chandler Jones, Wes Welker, Jamie Collins, LBlount, Jimmy G
and they are playing in their third superbowl in a row someone in new England knows what he is doing and howto do it unlike dallas

blueblood70

Reaction score
IMO we should try hard to restructure and keep him, cutting him just saves enough cap room to replace him with the dead money the next two seasons, is it worth it..and like some said above if you have to wit until after june 1st to get his replacement, whats left? the grass is not always greener, be careful what you wish for..

The cowboys TEAM was ALL off last year, hard to judge any one starter and say his being cut and replaced will fix our problems..

IMO you can stand pat with this same team and NOT have Zeke, Smith, LEE, Baily, Irving, out and all the new DBs in and out of the lineup as well as that ridiculous scheduling at the worst possible time 3 in 12 days etc and we easily are 11-5 and in the playoffs.. sure it hurt to have a set back season..we played pretty horrible but finished 9-7 no excuses they say id say we have a lot of them and I'm hoping this young Team and Dak learned a lot from this and we become better from it..

yimyammer

Reaction score
Realistically, can you blame him for not wanting to deal with the copious amount of idiot fans who just want to roast him? How many times would you want to answer the same few questions over and over?

Well of course, If I was a fraud, I wouldn't want to be called out about it either.

:banghead: Its pathetic fans and a radio station are complicit in enabling his show to continue, it should die a speedy death due to no listeners

Aven8

Reaction score
No way we restructure Dez. Out of all the players we have they have never touched his contract. It's almost like he's never been in the longtime plans, like Tyron, Witt, etc.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Restructuring his contract is likely the worst of the 3 options long term.

yimyammer

Reaction score
When the Ticket hosted Jerry’s show from like 2000-2004, they allowed 2-3 fan questions that were screened by the producer. I didn’t hear every show of course, but the ones I did hear, the fan questions were thoughtful and well done. Most of the questions I remember centered around what rationale he had for the moves he made.

I think John in Plano killed the call in business. I just wished the ticket hadn't pushed the button to cut him off as he was about to let jeri have it, here she blows, an oldie but a goodie:

robjay04

Reaction score
I think many of us said when they signed him to a big deal - it was not a good decision. He was coming off a contract year. He is so overrated.

3 straight contract caliber years.

It’s not like he just popped up out of nowhere like Lawrence.

yimyammer

Reaction score
I think Jerry wanted certain control, and the Ticket wanted do be able to go in other directions as well and they butted heads over it. I think on advertisement issues mostly.

IIRC, the ticket wasn't paying anything to be the flagship station and jeri decided to sell the rights for that moniker and the Ticke didn't want to pay. 105.3 ponied up the cashola and I'm sure they also signed a pretty ridiculous contract elaborating what they can and can't say complete with heavy NDA's regarding certain things they hear and see inside the Star

blueblood70

Reaction score
No way we restructure Dez. Out of all the players we have they have never touched his contract. It's almost like he's never been in the longtime plans, like Tyron, Witt, etc.
not the traditional restructure , i mean going back and taking the same money and years and give him half guaranteed and the rest he can earn back in incentive tier laden production clauses..if he continues to drop dallas and fails in this offense , then he gets only what he deserves. if he gets back to being dez he can earn it ALL back..I know unrealistic but if he refuses at least we tried..