Fisher: Restructuring Dez contract?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it purely a decline on Dez's part, or is it a combination of scheme, a QB's that doesnt click with dez, late out with the ball, bit innacurate..........

From Dez' point of view........to depend on incentives with him being able to control only 1 of 3 facets of the game has to raise his eyebrows.

It's certainly a combination. And that's why it will undoubtedly be tricky to handle. All parties have to accept some measure of blame and that has to be worked into any negotiations.

My question is - are all parties involved capable of doing this? And handling things rationally, rather than emotionally?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it purely a decline on Dez's part, or is it a combination of scheme, a QB's that doesnt click with dez, late out with the ball, bit innacurate..........

From Dez' point of view........to depend on incentives with him being able to control only 1 of 3 facets of the game has to raise his eyebrows.
Dez is getting top 5 WR money and he’s not even top 15 in performance. Sure some of that may be scheme issues or a young QB, but if you’re getting paid top dollar to be a star, isn’t it fair to expect top performance? Dez hasn’t been a “great” receiver in 3 years.

Plus- shouldn’t a star receiver be a help to a young qb? Why is it all on Dak? Dez is known to be a poor route runner. Dak is a qb that would benefit most by being able to throw to a spot rather than playing sandlot football. Romo was an improviser who could read Dez’s erratic movements. Most QBs don’t like just throwing it up and hoping your guy makes a play.

If Jerry wants to be “Dak friendly”, he needs to add some quality route runners.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually Jerry Jones won’t ever be interviewed on Dallas sports radio station “The Ticket” because he doesn’t like getting anything but softball questions.

Jerry used to allow fans to call in and ask questions but JJ no longer allows that. His weekly radio show is sycophant suck up show where Jerry controls the discussion and usually follows a question with a long story that by the end everyone can’t even remember what the question was.

The Ticket was the flagship station until the Fan got it.
The Ticket, though they claimed it was a mutual decision to end it. But they seemed butt hurt and became haters more so than usual after it.
I think Jerry wanted certain control, and the Ticket wanted do be able to go in other directions as well and they butted heads over it. I think on advertisement issues mostly.

When Clear Channel bought the ticket, they ended the deal when the contract came up I believe. From what little I remember about it.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Dez is getting top 5 WR money and he’s not even top 15 in performance. Sure some of that may be scheme issues or a young QB, but if you’re getting paid top dollar to be a star, isn’t it fair to expect top performance? Dez hasn’t been a “great” receiver in 3 years.

Plus- shouldn’t a star receiver be a help to a young qb? Why is it all on Dak? Dez is known to be a poor route runner. Dak is a qb that would benefit most by being able to throw to a spot rather than playing sandlot football. Romo was an improviser who could read Dez’s erratic movements. Most QBs don’t like just throwing it up and hoping your guy makes a play.

If Jerry wants to be “Dak friendly”, he needs to add some quality route runners.

How many?

birdwells1

Reaction score

This is my point also................the people that bash Dez have to realize that the most important person to the wr is the qb, if he's not good then the wr won't be good. If the wr sucks then you'll be able to tell because all the other wrs will have good to great numbers. If all the wrs have declining numbers then it must be the qb.

Imo Dez knows that Dak sucked last year and if the Cowboys come to him talking about a paycut then he'll leave for a team that has an established passer. He hasn't had one in three years.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
When the Ticket hosted Jerry’s show from like 2000-2004, they allowed 2-3 fan questions that were screened by the producer. I didn’t hear every show of course, but the ones I did hear, the fan questions were thoughtful and well done. Most of the questions I remember centered around what rationale he had for the moves he made.
Maybe I'm imagining some of the fans here and our old forum, lol. I'm not defending Jerry, but he does get an unfair dose sometimes.
That being said, he's very deserving of much of the criticism.

sbark

Reaction score
Dez is getting top 5 WR money and he’s not e ven top 15 in performance. Sure some of that may be scheme issues or a young QB, but if you’re getting paid top dollar to be a star, isn’t it fair to expect top performance? Dez hasn’t been a “great” receiver in 3 years.

Daks production also fell off with Beasley.............did he loose his ability to run routes?, T.Will, Witten.........can go down the line

I'm saying its the scheme as much as on both Dak and Dez..........Compare him to the progress Goff made under a new shceme and a rookie possestion receiver in C.Kupp out of the FCS level.......there are better way to do things for both Dez and Dak...............and Garrett

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
So on the one hand he claims we should not cut Dez because of the dead money that would accelerate and then with the same brain argues for making more future dead money by restructuring him. Oh and of course he calls Dez a "potential pro bowl WR."

Another potential is that he is a mediocre WR with Dak Prescott for the third year in a row and you consider the two of them already spent one offseason working to improve their chemistry to no tangible benefit.

There is no reason to believe that this offseason will garner a different result.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
So on the one hand he claims we should not cut Dez because of the dead money that would accelerate and then with the same brain argues for making more future dead money by restructuring him. Oh and of course he calls Dez a "potential pro bowl WR."

Another potential is that he is a mediocre WR with Dak Prescott for the third year in a row and you consider the two of them already spent one offseason working to improve their chemistry to no tangible benefit.

There is no reason to believe that this offseason will garner a different result.
Especially with an off season tone that might make Bryant get his feelings hurt.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Daks production also fell off with Beasley.............did he loose his ability to run routes?, T.Will, Witten.........can go down the line

I'm saying its the scheme as much as on both Dak and Dez..........Compare him to the progress Goff made under a new shceme and a rookie possestion receiver in C.Kupp out of the FCS level.......there are better way to do things for both Dez and Dak...............and Garrett
True about Beasley’s numbers falling off but I think that’s due in large part to the way defenses played Beas this year. He faced more double coverage that Dez.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
True about Beasley’s numbers falling off but I think that’s due in large part to the way defenses played Beas this year. He faced more double coverage that Dez.
That is absolutely correct.

Beasley runs the kind of short routes that Prescott excels at hitting. That dropoff was teams committing to taking him out of the game.

Once that happened, then it was up to Bryant to get separation. And we all know how that tends to work out unless the cornerback is just some jobber.

Sydla

Reaction score
I read the article but I’m not completely convinced Mike Fischer is a dependably good voice to listen to. I live in the Dallas area and listen to him on the radio occasionally. He works for 105.3 “the Fan”, which is the flagship station of the Cowboys and has a reputation for being beholden to Jerry. Most folks on there never ask Jerry or Stephen anything but softball questions.

Pretty sure what Fischer is saying is correct but I’m still not convinced it’s the best move for the Cowboys. I lean toward cutting Dez post June 1 and saving lots of cap space, signing a FA WR and drafting one as well. I just don’t think Dez at 30 has enough left in his game to justify that kind of money.

Course I’ve been wrong before, lol.

Not sure what kind of FA WR you are going to get given our cap situation. The money you save on Dez as a June 1 isn't available until after June 1. So if you want to go out and use Dez's money to sign a younger #1 type, you are going to have to move some cap money around for sure.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
That stopped being a selling point a long time ago.

Veteran players that eat up a huge chunk of your team's cap need to bring more to the table than passion.
I agree.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
For once he makes sense

Should have done it with DWare

Only other option is a trade...... I guarantee that if Dez was cut on Monday he would have multiple suitors lined up to sign him on Tuesday
Not for anything close to what his contract currently is.......The point being, and I'm just throwing numbers as an example....say Dallas wants him to cut his salary down to 7M and he rejects it and gets cut....and the best offer he gets as a FA is that same 7M, he's leaving his homestate, moving away from a state with no state income tax to a state that does have an income tax, plus the cost of relocating.....in the end he will make less money, further away from friends and family......and that's just a few repercusions he would be facing.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

There were other factors as well. dak's footwork was bad under pressure. He got sacked, hit and hurried more and we also had some issues with the O line in terms of pass protection.