Fisher: says it will be Ramsey over Zeke

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
On the Fan he said that is what Dallas would do.

So you guys who desperately want Zeke better hope the Chargers pick Ramsey.

I'm good with either but I would like to see what Marinelli can do with a high-character, multi-purpose DB. If used correctly, he could be an every-down difference maker in the mold of Troy Polamalu.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Edge? mmmmm .. Edge probably isn't worth a top 5 pick in todays game..

Yea, I can't even begin to tell you how wrong you are, that a RB who rushed for 1500+ yards and caught passes for 500+ yards as a rookie and improved in both areas in his second season is worth a top 5 pick in today's game, let alone this draft.

Tomlinson did eclipse both of those thresholds until his third season, would he also not be worth a top 5 pick!?

slick325

Reaction score
On the Fan he said that is what Dallas would do.

So you guys who desperately want Zeke better hope the Chargers pick Ramsey.

I think Ramsey is number 1 on their board and will be the pick if he is there at 4. Don't think anyone doubts that...not Pro Elliott folks or Anti Ramsey folks.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
MO and Carr are gone next year so I can see this happening.

I have really warmed up to taking zeke but see no way Dallas pays a rb that kind of money.

I personally don't think we will select EE at the fourth slot, but it won't be because of the money, IMO. Jerry was willing to pay Murray $24M with $12M Gtd, (IIRC) even though he had very heavy mileage on his tires. I have to think he'd be willing to do roughly the same for a super talented RB like EE with no wear on the tires.
One more thing...JJ was willing to pay Murray that money for four years. He would be getting EE for five.

Last edited:

AzorAhai

Reaction score
CB is a waste of a pick if they dont take a pass rusher at 34. If they do and get good production from them both picks work out

I've made my peace with 4. I can live with either player they are tied to since the QBs I wanted are out of reach. I've now moved to Rd 2 dread. Broaddus has been dropping huge hints at taking a QB at 34 over and over. We could be looking at a Ramsey/Zeke at 4 and Cook/Hackenburg at 34.

MrPhil

Reaction score
I prefer Elliott but certainly understand the choice if it is Ramsey. I hope he turns out to be worth it.

LandryFan

Reaction score
Chargers aren't taking Ramsey

Ramsey is coming to Dallas

I don't have a clue who the Chargers are/aren't taking, but if they pass on Ramsey, I agree with you...he'll be on the first Greyhound bus that's headed to Dallas.

slick325

Reaction score
Yea, I can't even begin to tell you how wrong you are, that a RB who rushed for 1500+ yards and caught passes for 500+ yards as a rookie and improved in both areas in his second season is worth a top 5 pick in today's game, let alone this draft.

Tomlinson did eclipse both of those thresholds until his third season, would he also not be worth a top 5 pick!?

Good post but you forgot to add double digit touchdowns. Which is the most important stat. The two "lead backs" currently on the roster had a combined 4TDs last season (McFadden 3 and Morris 1).

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I've made my peace with 4. I can live with either player they are tied to since the QBs I wanted are out of reach. I've now moved to Rd 2 dread. Broaddus has been dropping huge hints at taking a QB at 34 over and over. We could be looking at a Ramsey/Zeke at 4 and Cook/Hackenburg at 34.

taking a QB in round 2, would imo would just be a waste of a pick. if we wait until round 4, I can live with even Prescott, but at #34, I can't see a QB working out

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Good post but you forgot to add double digit touchdowns. Which is the most important stat. The two "lead backs" currently on the roster had a combined 4TDs last season (McFadden 3 and Morris 1).

yea, 17 total as a rookie and 18 as a second year player. if I thought Elliot would be as good of a pass catcher as James or Tomlinson, I make them the pick at #4 and don't look back. kinda hard to project a RBs ability to pass catch, because a lot of guys like James and Tomlinson weren't used that way in college, but excelled immediately in the pros at it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Since 1989, only 3 safety's/corner backs have been selected #4 or higher.
Eric Turner, Charles Woodson, & Shawn Springs.
By contrast, 22 DT/DE have been selected #4 or higher since 1989.

That draft position deserves & mandates playmaking status production in college - you know, interceptions.
At least Elliot produced yards and touchdowns in college.
Similarly, Bosa produced sacks in college.

Drafting a guy because you hope & project that he will be like a NFL player is not a draft strategy.
Collegiate production matters when selecting a player at #4 (no matter what position -- even an OL's production can be measured).
If he wasn't a ball hawk in college - he ain't going to be one in the NFL.

The NFL doesn't have a lot of ball hawks either. INT's are low these days.

I know I would've liked a big physical corner against the Falcons last year when we had nothing for Julio Jones.

These QB's like to get rid of the ball quick and no matter how good your pass rush is nothing will stop them from taking a 3 step drop and throwing to a uncontested receiver.

Dallas is good at stopping the big play but we always give up the short stuff over and over and over and over and over. I think Ramsey helps out in a big way against that stuff.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Elliott is a primo player. I suspect someone would trade up for him.

My desire to not take Elliott at 4 isn't because I think he's a bad player. It's because I believe with the way this team is constructed with the assets on the OL, you don't need to spend a high pick on a TB to be successful. So in that sense, the value in the 4th pick is much higher trading it for more picks than taking the TB. But make no mistake, I suspect someone would want that spot for Elliott as he's a very good player.

I would be beyond shocked if some team trades up to #4 for Elliott. I don't see it happening. But, I also didn't see teams trading up for Goff and Wentz. Philly and LA (strange writing LA in football again) gave up a boatload of picks for mediocre college QBs. So, who knows. strange draft this year, so far, and we haven't even got to the draft yet.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm good with either but I would like to see what Marinelli can do with a high-character, multi-purpose DB. If used correctly, he could be an every-down difference maker in the mold of Troy Polamalu.

I worry about this.

Ramsey is a dynamic player and he's too good to just line up at corner and forget about.

You're getting a Darren Woodson type of talent with Corner skills. Use it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I can get a RB that rushes for 1500 yards 2 rounds later.

LandryFan

Reaction score
Well the money isn't real bad at the top of the draft anymore and you're getting fresh legs for 5 years.

With all of the OL signings we will have to make over the next 5 years I think having our top Corner on a rookie deal would be beneficial.

Great point. A great corner being paid 4th slot money is a much greater value than a great RB being paid that same money (if debating him vs EE). Simply look ahead 5 years and ask yourself who will get the bigger second contract (given that they both are considered equally talented at their respective positions)? For me, the easy answer is the DB will.

conner01

Reaction score
I wanted to fix the QB spot with a top prospect. That didn't happen
So know I think it is down to Ramsey or EE and probably in that order. I have questions about each. Do you spend a 4th on a player that you aren't 100% sure of his position?
Is the RB you can get at 4 that much better than the one later and you get the other player to boot?
Both are good prospects but what I don't get from some fans is this my way or the highway attitude. Like only their choice can be right.
If I was the GM I would probably go a different way but that doesn't mean EE or Ramsey are bad picks, just not the picks I would make. Both can help this team. Both can be super stars or over drafted, just like any other player you draft. The guys who do this for a living miss on picks all the time and we won't know for a few years who was right

JBS

Reaction score
I've now heard two different people this morning say that Ramsey is a poor scheme fit w the Cowboys?

Why is that?

Last edited:

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Pretty comfortable with either pick at this point. Ramsey and Tunsil are the only players worthy of #4 though. Ramsey is a freak.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
What? I thought Marinelli and big Red both wanted Zeke?????
Don't believe anything you hear.