Fix Linehan and fix the Cowboys

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It’s as obvious as the fishing pole in Risen’s hand that the problem with the Cowboys offense is the OC. Not the QB, not the RB, not the TE, not the OL not the WR’s and not the HC. And it’s really not the offense itself but mainly the play calling. Linehan has no grasp of the present and is unable to be bold and aggressive when needed. He just calls the same ole plays. How many predicted the 1st play of the season? All of us. I don’t see any creativity at all in his play calling. I don’t see any plays called to try to take advantage of a rookie CB or safety. Something needs to change there quick.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
My wife likes the Cowboys. Unlike me she wasn't born in Dallas but her grandfather was and she's been a Cowboys fan for life like I have. She just didn't really follow football or the rules.

She doesn't quite know football. She watches it because I do and she's become more of a fan since she married me.

SHE called the first play of the game. And then she groaned when she was right.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
The coaches built a system and ask the players to execute it. They have no room for adjusting to the players and opponents. It’s the system, and when it doesn’t work, you just have to get better and hope you run it next time.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
My wife likes the Cowboys. Unlike me she wasn't born in Dallas but her grandfather was and she's been a Cowboys fan for life like I have. She just didn't really follow football or the rules.

She doesn't quite know football. She watches it because I do and she's become more of a fan since she married me.

SHE called the first play of the game. And then she groaned when she was right.
It’s amazing the arrogance.

jwitten82

Reaction score
It’s as obvious as the fishing pole in Risen’s hand that the problem with the Cowboys offense is the OC. Not the QB, not the RB, not the TE, not the OL not the WR’s and not the HC. And it’s really not the offense itself but mainly the play calling. Linehan has no grasp of the present and is unable to be bold and aggressive when needed. He just calls the same ole plays. How many predicted the 1st play of the season? All of us. I don’t see any creativity at all in his play calling. I don’t see any plays called to try to take advantage of a rookie CB or safety. Something needs to change there quick.
Uhhh qb is a huge problem right now. Quit trying to act like Dak is not a huge issue right now, because that is quitting, my friend.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Uhhh qb is a huge problem right now. Quit trying to act like Dak is not a huge issue right now, because that is quitting, my friend.
You don’t know me. I don’t quit. It’s not the players, it’s the “system” as someone earlier said. That and the play calling that goes with it.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
It’s amazing the arrogance.

Want to be creative? Understand the expectation on play one is to run Zeke between the tackles. Line up in the power I and play action or QB draw.

Carolina did that all day and it worked.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It would go a long way if our coaches would scout the opponent then devise a gameplan to attack their weaknesses. I suspect that they don't, scouting is minimal and the same plays/concept are installed every week no matter who they face.

This team isn't talented enough to "just beat your man", they need help and be put into the best position to succeed. The Patriots are a chameleon and can look different each and every week.

There are ways to help a struggling line or QB but it is rare to see it implemented here.

It is not all Linehan's fault but it is his job to work around our own weaknesses.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
For all the pub they receive, I would think the OL would be able to bust a hole allowing Zeke into the secondary at least occasionally.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It would go a long way if our coaches would scout the opponent then devise a gameplan to attack their weaknesses. I suspect that they don't, scouting is minimal and the same plays/concept are installed every week no matter who they face.

This team isn't talented enough to "just beat your man", they need help and be put into the best position to succeed. The Patriots are a chameleon and can look different each and every week.

There are ways to help a struggling line or QB but it is rare to see it implemented here.

It is not all Linehan's fault but it is his job to work around our own weaknesses.
I do expect a completely new play calling look this Sunday night. If I was Jerry, that’s what I would tell the coaching staff.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
Want to be creative? Understand the expectation on play one is to run Zeke between the tackles. Line up in the power I and play action or QB draw.

Carolina did that all day and it worked.

I’ve beem asking for dak to be good at throwing the ball from under center for 2 years now. Until he learns how to pass from a 3 step and in the pocket, nothing will change for him. Dude has sucked for awhile

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
I do expect a completely new play calling look this Sunday night. If I was Jerry, that’s what I would tell the coaching staff.

I'm not so sure. Linehan really has favored the pure pocket passer QB, even back when he was running Stafford and Megatron in Detroit.

I don't know if Linehan really has it in his wheelhouse to make a RPO, non-shotgun mix it up offense.

The Natural

Reaction score
:laugh:

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
I’ve beem asking for dak to be good at throwing the ball from under center for 2 years now. Until he learns how to pass from a 3 step and in the pocket, nothing will change for him. Dude has sucked for awhile

I don't think it's going to happen. And as I said, he's not the kind of QB Linehan's offenses have worked with in the past.

It's on both of them. But it's on Linehan to work with the guys he's got. Romo's not out there anymore.

Praxit

Reaction score
.>Well, after the media getting involved and creating somewhat of a debacle. I bet Linehan shines Sunday night. Whether he can keep it going, will have to wait N see.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
I've been pretty harsh on Dak and what he did after last week and the end of last season.

But I think the point of the OP here, and it's a good one.

If you're an OC, know who you have, what you have, and don't set your team up to fail.

We can and should criticize the offense's ability to execute. But I do think it is clear they WERE set up to fail.