For all the criticism Dak Prescott gets

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I even stated that every QB will throw off target balls but Dak does it more than most. Surely you remember all the talk by all the people regarding Dak's trouble hitting receivers in stride and throwing certain routes that required anticipating where the ball should go in relation to the moving target? There was a lot of it. It is mentioned in scouting reports. It was generally accepted by many if not most to be a weakness. Possibly why we saw so many of the dreaded comeback routes?

I watch a lot of football. Five or six games a week probably. Between live, DVR'd and NFL Network replays. It's awesome to have so much available. Much better than the two or three we got back in the 80's and 90's and even 00's.

I did not blame Dak for that the loss. I said he missed some very significant plays that would have made a difference. He was part of that loss.

Here are some facts Jack. As much as the defense sucked the fact is the game was close and never got out of control in spite of how much running yardage the D gave up. It is another fact that the offense produced nothing from the second quarter through the third. Either one of the two plays I mentioned could very possibly have lead to some production. That is on Dak. I only mentioned the big plays that I remember being missed. I didn't mention that grounder to Zeke in the opening drive of the second half. Followed by the typical, just behind instead of just in front, inaccurate pass to Rico in that same three and out. The almost pick six that had me, you and everyone else saying "oh sheit!" in the split second before the DB dropped it. What was the 3rd down conversion rate? I forget that fact. One scoring drive in the middle of the game would have made a difference in the close game. A couple 3rd down conversions would have helped the defense and likely the scoreboard. The opportunities were there.

Really though, my point was that Dak has struggled with putting the ball in right place. That is well documented. Regular topic of discussion on sports media and on this forum, usually about a specific big play that was missed, after the game. There are two examples in the video posted in this thread. Played a significant role in the offense's complete lack of production in the middle half of the Rams game. Those are all facts.

The absoluteness of the 'catch anything you can possibly get your hands on' is ridiculous. But it isn't even the point.

The point is, the QB far to often makes easy passes/catches into difficult ones. Good QB's, while certainly not perfect, are much better at giving the receiver a much easier ball to catch and a chance to do something with it. That would be an example of the 'making guys better' thing that gets brought up. Instead it is an example of the guy's having to make Dak look better.

Why do you bring Wentz up? I didn't mention him. I have never mentioned him. I couldn't care less about him.
(In bold)^^^^: You mean a good QB like this who made his receivers better during this 4 year period???

:popcorn:

Haimerej

Reaction score
Sure it can be flawed

Yep. S'what I'm sayin.

but also on the flip side how many times was the receiver covered and was tackled immediately.

I'm sure there were a few. It's unrelated to my criticism of the stat in question, though.

Problem is some want to pick apart Dak they go to great lengths trying to disprove that he is a good QB. They use certain games and take others away. Use different stats and take others away.

Yep. Supporters do it, too.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
If the defender is catching up because of a poor throw, it shouldn't be touted as accuracy even if the receiver catches it. We're not seeing a lot of back shoulder type throws from Dak, though.
And he usually overthrows when he misses anyway, so a good percentage of those are "safe misses."

aria

Reaction score
Really? Explain this...

» "The Dallas Cowboys' offensive line reached fabled levels of greatness during the 2016 season, lifting then-rookie runner Ezekiel Elliottto the NFL's rushing title. Yet, after offseason personnel losses at right tackle and left guard, the 2017 version of the Cowboys' front five came into the season with far more questions than the previous year's dominance would suggest. As the year wore on and the news cycle hammered the storylines of Elliott's suspension and Dak Prescott's sophomore slump, it appears the NFL world at large forgot to notice that the unit that once anchored this team was no longer a true trump card. The Cowboys allowed a pressure on 28.6 percent of Prescott's dropbacks, the 12th-highest rate in the league. They took an even steeper decline as run blockers. Elliott averaged a whopping 0.6 yards before defenders closed within a yard of him in 2016, more than doubling up the league average. However, Cowboys running backs averaged just 0.2 YGBC in 2017, ranking 20th on the year. When you realize that Dallas received high-level play over a full 16 games from just two players (center Travis Frederickand right guard Zack Martin) after a year in which the whole starting five fired on all cylinders, their offensive issues become far less surprising."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-rams-among-nfls-10-best-offensive-line-units
Great, so where does that rank them?

It really doesn’t matter, the point was that the Cowboys O line was much better than people like yourself give them credit for. Whether it be top 10 or top 15, the O line wasn’t nearly as bad as some people think.

Here’s another article, we can go back and forth all day, most articles/analysts have the Cowboys O line in the top 10.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...s-offensive-line-where-did-the-cowboys-end-up

aria

Reaction score
Even while developing, Romo made throws Dak couldn't make in a hundred years.

FaD is just not good at throwing a football.
Why are there stats so similar? Why has Dak accomplished more in 3 years than Romo did his entire career?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Great, so where does that rank them?

It really doesn’t matter, the point was that the Cowboys O line was much better than people like yourself give them credit for. Whether it be top 10 or top 15, the O line wasn’t nearly as bad as some people think.

Here’s another article, we can go back and forth all day, most articles/analysts have the Cowboys O line in the top 10.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...s-offensive-line-where-did-the-cowboys-end-up
Did you play football? If so, did you play on the Oline? If so, did you star while playing on there, meaning you would know what to look for to make a sound judgment?

aria

Reaction score
Did you play football? If so, did you play on the Oline? If so, did you star while playing on there, meaning you would know what to look for to make a sound judgment?
Yes and yes. You’re out of your element dude. What’s your point?

aria

Reaction score
If true, you would easily see the mistakes.
I never said there weren’t mistakes, did I? You’re a joke. People like you, who put words in others mouths and completely make things up should be banned. BTW, get a new name/avatar, you’re a disgrace.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
I believe one of those picks by Dak was a catchable ball that Dez Bryant tipped to Seattle. Dez also lost a fumble in that game that led directly to a Seattle touchdown.
Go to 1:23 in this video.

HOF Troy Aikman even admitted this is a very poor throw and “more times than not that be will be intercepted”.

Ironically, Dak did the same exact thing when we played the Seahawks in week 3.

Dez did play poorly, but to say a receiver that touches the ball 3 times and thrown to 6, was the main reason we lost is asinine and proves exactly what I mean about Dak stans.

When the team wins, Dak led the teams to those wins (“Omg look at how many wins he has in 3 seasons!!!”), but when the team loses, its always someone else’s fault.

Hadenough

Reaction score
His ACL had nothing to do with the mental mistakes he was making.
There is a process when coming back from an ACL injury. And even though Wentz knee was fine and he was practicing making throws and doing footwork drills he still wasnt cleared to play for 4 weeks in. Once live action kicks in it takes time to trust that his knee can take a hit. Not to mention that he has to build back up to the speed of the game. The ACL can indirectly affect his decisions and throws.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There is a process when coming back from an ACL injury. And even though Wentz knee was fine and he was practicing making throws and doing footwork drills he still wasnt cleared to play for 4 weeks in. Once live action kicks in it takes time to trust that his knee can take a hit. Not to mention that he has to build back up to the speed of the game. The ACL can indirectly affect his decisions and throws.
Well the reports were his back is acting up. So ACL injuries and now back problems and he’s not even 25 yet? Y’all can have him. I just haven’t been impressed aside from the season before when he was probably the MVP of the league before going down. The game should’ve sped up for him by seasons end and it didn’t so I’m not sure if the ACL injury is a proper excuse.

Brax

Reaction score
You seem to take the opposite side of the extreme here. Can you please tell us more specifically what you're dissatisfied with.
The point of my post was to highlight the view of Dak being some kind of superstar QB and is held down by the players around him. Dak needs a lot work to be more than the a average QB he has shown to this point. Quick reads, pocket awareness, accuracy of throws, preforming and scoring points in quarters other than the one with number 4 on it. I am not in or out on Dak I do not believe at this point he is worth the big $ contract on the other hand if Jerry signs him I will live with that. He unfortunately still has most of the faults that he had coming out of college. My point was stop blaming everyone else on the team for Dak's short coming. Dak's intangibles ( and he does have some) so far to this point do not out weigh his lack of skill in a few important areas. My hope is we see a much improved QB this year who shows marked improvement and is worthy of a new long term contract as I hate to be looking again for a QB but saying he is doesn't make it so.

FiveTime

Reaction score
Really? So why has Dak led the league 2 out of his first 3 seasons on tight window throws accuracy?

Whaaa? Whaaaat was that you said? :facepalm:

Can you admit that at times he misses badly, really badly? He puts the ball a yard behind or in the ground or a foot above the hands of an open receiver. I admit that he also has some really nice throws into tight windows. He has the physical ability. I'm sticking with my belief that it is mental thing and he should be working with a Sports Psychologist.