For all the criticism Dak Prescott gets

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Not even trying to hear that he had a weak receiving group. Most were there in 2016, so not buying that excuse. If you wanted to blame Zeke's suspension on Dak's struggles, I'd buy that excuse.
Kicka le boot!

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
That pick you blame Dez for was yet another terrible throw by Dak. After just about every game last season there was an argument on this forum about whether the receiver should have caught the bad pass because he was able to get his hands on the too high, too low or too far behind pass from Dak.

There were two in the Rams playoff game. Wide open receivers who had to to try and make great catches on balls that could have and should have been easy opportunities. Big, difference making plays, schemed by the OC, blocked by the o-line and executed by the receivers. Made far more difficult than they should have been by the inaccurate QB.

Sure, every QB is going to have those once in awhile. Dak has them far too often. Significant factor in the loss to the Rams.
I'm not saying Dak hasn't thrown bad passes because you can't name a single QB that doesn't. And yes if you get your hands on the ball you need to catch it. Period, point blank. You also say that every QB have those once in awhile but Dak throws them too often shows me you most likely watch highlights of most games and not entire games. You don't have one of the best completion percentage ever in the first 3 years of your career if you throw so many inaccurate passes. Then you blame Dak for losing the Rams playoff game because Dak had 2 bad passes........are you serious? We lost that playoff game because the Rams ran right down our throats for almost 300 yards. Without Dak we would have lost by double digits and thats a fact jack. You same silly Dak haters praise Wentz but that dude is much more inaccurate than Dak and isn't close to Dak in leadership or decision making skills.

Last edited:

Yobwocs

Reaction score
I'm not saying Dak hasn't thrown bad passes because you can't name a single QB that doesn't. And yes if you get your hands on the ball you need to catch it. Period, point blank. You also say that every QB have those once in awhile but Dak throws them too often shows me you most likely watch highlights of most games and not entire games. You don't have one of the best completion percentage ever in the first 3 years of your career if you throw so many inaccurate passes. Then you blame Dak for losing the Rams playoff game because Dak had 2 bad passes........are you serious? We lost that playoff game because the Rams ran right down our throats for almost 300 yards. Without Dak we would have lost by doluble digits and thats a fact jack. You same silly Dak haters praise Wentz but that dude is much more inaccurate than Dak and isn't close to Dak in leadership or decision making skills.

2 bad passes by Dak in the Rams game.
20 bad plays by the Defense in Rams game.

Yet people are still on this "offense is just as much to blame as the defense" nonsense. LOL. It's not even close.

Dak had 3 out of 8 successful possessions, and he would've had probably 4 out of 8 if we converted on that 4th and 1. Defense made only 1 out of 8 stops. Who played better here? Dak converted touchdowns. And his last 3 possessions all looked like they were gonna reach the endzone from the get-go, until we were halted on the 4th and 1.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
2 bad passes by Dak in the Rams game.
20 bad plays by the Defense in Rams game.

Yet people are still on this "offense is just as much to blame as the defense" nonsense. LOL. It's not even close.

Dak had 3 out of 8 successful possessions, and he would've had probably 4 out of 8 if we converted on that 4th and 1. Defense made only 1 out of 8 stops. Who played better here? Dak converted touchdowns. And his last 3 possessions all looked like they were gonna reach the endzone from the get-go, until we were halted on the 4th and 1.
not only that but Zeke gave us nothing in the run game and we were behind the sticks with bad down and distance. Sure Dak has made some mistakes but this myth that he is terrible is getting ridiculous. Dak is a top 12 QB at minimal and is a franchise QB. I will be so happy once he is locked up long term and don't have to worry about the 1-11 records with guys like Weeden, Cassell, Sanchez and Moore.

aria

Reaction score
Plus an injured Oline who gave up sacks at will and would have gotten the previous QB put in the hospital. Luckily, Dak is young, built like a LB and miraculously was able to get past that 2017 sackful season without injury.
O line was top 10 in the NFL. I’m fine with Dak but sick of hearing the O line excuse.

Haimerej

Reaction score
than more accurate passers than Dak would be ahead of him

Accuracy rewards separation. If a receiver has to adjust and a defender catches up, you can't exactly define that as an accurate throw. You could even argue the stat reflects on the receiver's ability to make a contested catch/catch in a crowd.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Nobody has stated you don't need a team to make the playoffs. Why is this thread trying to mix individual player performance with team records?

Drew Brees with those "three straight 7-9" seasons was still one of the best QBs in the league.

Great example, yah he was. But its proof that QB's need players around them. As if Dak Prescott is the only QB that plays better and worse based on the players around him.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
O line was top 10 in the NFL. I’m fine with Dak but sick of hearing the O line excuse.
Really? Explain this...

» "The Dallas Cowboys' offensive line reached fabled levels of greatness during the 2016 season, lifting then-rookie runner Ezekiel Elliottto the NFL's rushing title. Yet, after offseason personnel losses at right tackle and left guard, the 2017 version of the Cowboys' front five came into the season with far more questions than the previous year's dominance would suggest. As the year wore on and the news cycle hammered the storylines of Elliott's suspension and Dak Prescott's sophomore slump, it appears the NFL world at large forgot to notice that the unit that once anchored this team was no longer a true trump card. The Cowboys allowed a pressure on 28.6 percent of Prescott's dropbacks, the 12th-highest rate in the league. They took an even steeper decline as run blockers. Elliott averaged a whopping 0.6 yards before defenders closed within a yard of him in 2016, more than doubling up the league average. However, Cowboys running backs averaged just 0.2 YGBC in 2017, ranking 20th on the year. When you realize that Dallas received high-level play over a full 16 games from just two players (center Travis Frederickand right guard Zack Martin) after a year in which the whole starting five fired on all cylinders, their offensive issues become far less surprising."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-rams-among-nfls-10-best-offensive-line-units

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Accuracy rewards separation. If a receiver has to adjust and a defender catches up, you can't exactly define that as an accurate throw. You could even argue the stat reflects on the receiver's ability to make a contested catch/catch in a crowd.
Well we aren't talking about yards after catch

Haimerej

Reaction score
Great example, yah he was. But its proof that QB's need players around them. As if Dak Prescott is the only QB that plays better and worse based on the players around him.

The question is, "was Drew Brees' play the reason they went 7-9?" That would be a resounding, "no." The 28th, 32nd, and 32nd ranked defense was a big part of that run. Brees had no running game those years and still led top offenses. It stretches credulity to compare Brees' and Dak's situations in regards to their surrounding cast.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
You could argue that on even the most perfectly-timed and placed throw too. A step of separation is still just a step of separation, whether the defender had time to catch up, or whether he was running with the receiver stride-for-stride the whole time.

Haimerej

Reaction score
You could argue that on even the most perfectly-timed and placed throw too. A step of separation is still just a step of separation, whether the defender had time to catch up, or whether he was running with the receiver stride-for-stride the whole time.

If the defender is catching up because of a poor throw, it shouldn't be touted as accuracy even if the receiver catches it. We're not seeing a lot of back shoulder type throws from Dak, though.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I'm not saying Dak hasn't thrown bad passes because you can't name a single QB that doesn't. And yes if you get your hands on the ball you need to catch it. Period, point blank. You also say that every QB have those once in awhile but Dak throws them too often shows me you most likely watch highlights of most games and not entire games. You don't have one of the best completion percentage ever in the first 3 years of your career if you throw so many inaccurate passes. Then you blame Dak for losing the Rams playoff game because Dak had 2 bad passes........are you serious? We lost that playoff game because the Rams ran right down our throats for almost 300 yards. Without Dak we would have lost by double digits and thats a fact jack. You same silly Dak haters praise Wentz but that dude is much more inaccurate than Dak and isn't close to Dak in leadership or decision making skills.
I even stated that every QB will throw off target balls but Dak does it more than most. Surely you remember all the talk by all the people regarding Dak's trouble hitting receivers in stride and throwing certain routes that required anticipating where the ball should go in relation to the moving target? There was a lot of it. It is mentioned in scouting reports. It was generally accepted by many if not most to be a weakness. Possibly why we saw so many of the dreaded comeback routes?

I watch a lot of football. Five or six games a week probably. Between live, DVR'd and NFL Network replays. It's awesome to have so much available. Much better than the two or three we got back in the 80's and 90's and even 00's.

I did not blame Dak for that the loss. I said he missed some very significant plays that would have made a difference. He was part of that loss.

Here are some facts Jack. As much as the defense sucked the fact is the game was close and never got out of control in spite of how much running yardage the D gave up. It is another fact that the offense produced nothing from the second quarter through the third. Either one of the two plays I mentioned could very possibly have lead to some production. That is on Dak. I only mentioned the big plays that I remember being missed. I didn't mention that grounder to Zeke in the opening drive of the second half. Followed by the typical, just behind instead of just in front, inaccurate pass to Rico in that same three and out. The almost pick six that had me, you and everyone else saying "oh sheit!" in the split second before the DB dropped it. What was the 3rd down conversion rate? I forget that fact. One scoring drive in the middle of the game would have made a difference in the close game. A couple 3rd down conversions would have helped the defense and likely the scoreboard. The opportunities were there.

Really though, my point was that Dak has struggled with putting the ball in right place. That is well documented. Regular topic of discussion on sports media and on this forum, usually about a specific big play that was missed, after the game. There are two examples in the video posted in this thread. Played a significant role in the offense's complete lack of production in the middle half of the Rams game. Those are all facts.

The absoluteness of the 'catch anything you can possibly get your hands on' is ridiculous. But it isn't even the point.

The point is, the QB far to often makes easy passes/catches into difficult ones. Good QB's, while certainly not perfect, are much better at giving the receiver a much easier ball to catch and a chance to do something with it. That would be an example of the 'making guys better' thing that gets brought up. Instead it is an example of the guy's having to make Dak look better.

Why do you bring Wentz up? I didn't mention him. I have never mentioned him. I couldn't care less about him.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Nor am I. I'm talking about the stat he brought up and the flawed metric it uses to define accuracy.
Sure it can be flawed but also on the flip side how many times was the receiver covered and was tackled immediately. Problem is some want to pick apart Dak they go to great lengths trying to disprove that he is a good QB. They use certain games and take others away. Use different stats and take others away.