For OTAs, your favorite S is still starting

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Why can't you answer the question? Why did you make the comment about not having stars at every position? The only real implication there is that you don't believe we need to upgrade Heath.

I think we do/did and we could have done so for fairly cheap as there were SS options out there that ended up signing relatively cheap contracts.

Because since every team has at least one weak spot, but are still successful, if Heath is no great shakes as a safety, he won't be the reason the team can't be successful, and the coaches should be able to scheme around his weaknesses, LIKE OTHER TEAMS.

Did the Pats have great players at every spot? No, but they won the SB, didn't they? So if Heath is mediocre, the rest of the team can "cover up" his weaknesses, and put him where his talent can be used most efficiently, again as some other successful teams do.

As far as getting other safeties, they got Iloka and drafted a 6th rounder. And there may be other safeties released in pre-season, camps, etc. that the Cowboys can get later. If the Cowboys didn't sign a safety for Heath's position, then either they didn't think the others were an upgrade over Heath, or have budgeted the available cap money for other positions. Either way, if they viewed Heath as you do I think they would have replaced him with somebody, but they didn't.

You think Heath is a terrible safety, I get it. But even assuming that's true, as I said in my original post, with a great pass rush and good linebackers, safety isn't a CRUCIAL issue, the lack of a pass rush in the pass-happy NFL these days is a far more necessary part of your team, having the top notch safety would be great, but if you don't have one, no point in assuming the defense is going to be an issue...

cern

Reaction score
Why can't you answer the question? Why did you make the comment about not having stars at every position? The only real implication there is that you don't believe we need to upgrade Heath.

I think we do/did and we could have done so for fairly cheap as there were SS options out there that ended up signing relatively cheap contracts.
you are confusing the words imply and infer. the writer implies, the reader infers. ergo your interpretation of what he said is an inference. not an implication. I only mention this because you do not seem willing to let it go.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Just off the top of my head, there aren't that many super stars at the SS position around the league. Its Heath's job to lose this year. But this year will be his last, and I can live with that.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Heath was rated one of the worst safeties by PFF, if you buy into them, and Football Outsiders also gave him poor reviews.

The fact Heath’s job is safe is a travesty.
I don't buy into PFF and have never paid attention to Football Outsider. I'm not saying he is great but he gets more hate than he deserves.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Because since every team has at least one weak spot, but are still successful, if Heath is no great shakes as a safety, he won't be the reason the team can't be successful, and the coaches should be able to scheme around his weaknesses, LIKE OTHER TEAMS.

Did the Pats have great players at every spot? No, but they won the SB, didn't they? So if Heath is mediocre, the rest of the team can "cover up" his weaknesses, and put him where his talent can be used most efficiently, again as some other successful teams do.

As far as getting other safeties, they got Iloka and drafted a 6th rounder. And there may be other safeties released in pre-season, camps, etc. that the Cowboys can get later. If the Cowboys didn't sign a safety for Heath's position, then either they didn't think the others were an upgrade over Heath, or have budgeted the available cap money for other positions. Either way, if they viewed Heath as you do I think they would have replaced him with somebody, but they didn't.

You think Heath is a terrible safety, I get it. But even assuming that's true, as I said in my original post, with a great pass rush and good linebackers, safety isn't a CRUCIAL issue, the lack of a pass rush in the pass-happy NFL these days is a far more necessary part of your team, having the top notch safety would be great, but if you don't have one, no point in assuming the defense is going to be an issue...
Nobody THINKS he's a terrible safety he IS a terrible safety. There's a big difference between the 2.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
We just disagree about Heath. I'm good with that. But for some reason you can't have that.
Disagree about what, you are wrong. He sucks and I'll bet whatever you want he doesn't even make a team when we finally cut his behind.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
According to some reports, Heath was the starting SS with Iloka backing him up.

Now it's OTAs, so it might only be a familiarity thing with Heath running with the 1s while Iloka and some of the young guys get up to speed.

But my god, if Jeff Heath is our opening day starting SS. These guys just can't "quit" mediocre players when they became coaches' pet cats.

It was unlikely that Iloka would unseat The GOAT entirely. Maybe in the box duties. He cost nothing in free agency. That should tell you what the league thinks of him.

We had serious thoughts of taking a S high in the draft. Iloka was the cheapest insurance plan available. I'm sure they're still shopping for veteran safeties. Very likely we pick one up, even if it's at final cuts.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
And it's always putting words in someone's mouth when they don't agree with them.

Please note I did not defend Heath, I said he was no Woodson or Renfro. He's listed at 6-1 and 212 lbs. Is that not good size for a safety? The much heralded Ed Reed was 5-11 and 205. Harrison Smith of the Vikings is on some lists as the top NFL safety, and he's a grand total of 1 inch and 3 lbs heavier. Heath was timed in college at 4.48 in the 40, is that not good time for a safety?

So obviously you feel if Heath the starter come season's beginning the Cowboys are doomed to a dismal season.

The point of my post was NOT to "defend Heath". You chose to make it so. My point was that EVEN IF Heath isn't that good, then it's not the death knell for the season, or the defensive backfield, or the defense as a whole. Your dislike of Heath blinds you, try comprehending comments before attacking the poster...

Just think about that for a minute...……………………….

Heath has prototype size and better then great speed for the position...…………….

And he still sucks. HE has all the physical tools, he just stinks at what he does.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Just think about that for a minute...……………………….

Heath has prototype size and better then great speed for the position...…………….

And he still sucks. HE has all the physical tools, he just stinks at what he does.

You say he stinks, I say he's about average or below average, I just don't feel that the Cowboys would play him if he "stinks", they have had Showers for a couple of years and got Thompson last year, who has been in the league for 2 years before the Cowboys, and as you noted there were other safeties that signed with other teams for reasonable amounts, so surely the Cowboys would have put SOMEBODY in there instead in he "stinks".

We obviously both would like a better player in there, we just disagree as to where exactly he ranks, and that's fine, we each have our opinion...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Nobody THINKS he's a terrible safety he IS a terrible safety. There's a big difference between the 2.

Of all the dozens of safeties around the league, either playing, on the practice squad, or released by other teams in final cuts, there is NOT ONE SINGLE PLAYER that the Cowboys could get that's any better?

If they didn't get someone else, Heath must have a least some ability, "terrible" implies he has near zero, and if that's the case how did he get 85 tackles, 5 passes defensed and an interception?

Look he's not one of the top players on the defense, but even below average isn't "terrible", if he's "terrible" then Showers and Thompson must be absolutely worthless if the couldn't beat out a "terrible" safety....