For the Garrett haters: Does Pederson get us to the SB in two years?

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I don’t know about SB but I think he is more successful than JG. I think he brings in a better DC and his offense fits Dak like a glove no more watching Scott’s joke of an offense. There is a reason if JG is fired John DeFilippo is my second choice behind David Shaw we have to run an offense that best uses our talent. I am also sick of watching Rod’s D. He is a good D-line coach but that’s about it. I think the Bears D had more to do with Lovie than Rod.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
2016 playoff win.. nope... just a good seat at the house watching real football teams again.. hey "he looks like a coach". lmao... might as well extend his contract, I'd hate for another team to get the genius and win one game in the playoffs.. lmao 1 game.. not bad.

dckid

Reaction score
Possibly. Maybe we'd cut down on drafting CB's and LB's and draft us some DT hosses.
I think the question is not about a rip and replace with Garrett. The problem is that he has been around since 2010 and he has not shown that he can build a culture. That is the biggest problem. There is a saying in the biz world... culture eats strategy for breakfast. A HC is supposed to build a culture.. look at Bill, JJ, couglin, Parcells. Tell me what exactly does Garrett do? He slaps guys on the butt, spits and Claps. He doesn’t coach the offense, he doesn’t know how to manage the clock. He couldn’t even provide help when Tyron didn’t play against Atl and we have up 8, 9 sacks. Can we chip the De, can we move the TE?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
And the SB talk by Garrett lovers is an attempt to mask Garrett’s failure to qualify for the playoffs 71% of the time. It’s OK if we get punked by an injured RG Knee, we wouldn’t have won the SB anyway.
what SB talk? the fact that garrett is better than a lot of other coaches who have failed out of NFL miserably...like Kelly the revolutionary....and Campo....this is not a testament to garrett being good. this was a comment in regards to garrett being better than a lot of other coachs....fact is garrett is a middle of the pack type of coach....I am not saying that's good for the cowboys and don't need upgraded, but a lot of asinine comments are nothing but childish behavious

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
lol....no they all suck. But your gold standard for Garrett was that he won some games. Just pointing out two guys that won at a better clip. As you can see your standard means nothing. Essentially, I just blew your laughable evidence out of the water. And you justified it by pointing out those other two guys are a joke. Yep....like Garrett. Lol
I never claimed garrett as the gold standard. I just relatively compared him to other cowboys coaches and other coaches in the NFL. you claim that he is the worst coach ever, is childish response to a debate and is argumentive at best....if that's your goal, then great, awesome, good for you..... but for you to vehemently defend Campo, tells us all we need to know about your agenda....I mean for Gawd's sake you blamed garrett for not resigning from his job and holding that against him....how childish.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
lol....no they all suck. But your gold standard for Garrett was that he won some games. Just pointing out two guys that won at a better clip. As you can see your standard means nothing. Essentially, I just blew your laughable evidence out of the water. And you justified it by pointing out those other two guys are a joke. Yep....like Garrett. Lol
is sky blue or green in your world. just wondering..... you blew something but it wasn't my evidence :grin:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
what SB talk? the fact that garrett is better than a lot of other coaches who have failed out of NFL miserably...like Kelly the revolutionary....and Campo....this is not a testament to garrett being good. this was a comment in regards to garrett being better than a lot of other coachs....fact is garrett is a middle of the pack type of coach....I am not saying that's good for the cowboys and don't need upgraded, but a lot of asinine comments are nothing but childish behavious

This SB talk that you threw out there as an argument:

oh, wait..... I know your answer..." with our talent we should have won at least 2 if not 3 superbowls"....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Wow a little over .500 in 8 years. I'm impressed.
this wasn't about garrett being good or bad...this was in relative to other head coaches, to claim that a high school coach would be better than Garrett is asinine and childish...he is an average coach. that's where he ranks. that's been the results....that's it...nothing more, nothing less. there a lot of coaches who have been better than him...there are a lot that have been worse. he is middle of the pack....its time to move on.... but I am not emotional and childish to make dumb claims like many.... I am not 15.....:grin:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
yes, as a question....not argument.....I asked a question. there is big difference.

And, as I said, Garrett lovers like to try and bring SBs into the equation to embellish their point. It's equally as childish as "haters" just saying Garrett sucks. It's a generalization of "lovers" like you generalize with the "haters". Just because the team probably wasn't talented enough to win SBs doesn't mean they weren't talented enough to make the playoffs and possibly win a few more playoff games.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
And, as I said, Garrett lovers like to try and bring SBs into the equation to embellish their point. It's equally as childish as "haters" just saying Garrett sucks. It's a generalization of "lovers" like you generalize with the "haters". Just because the team probably wasn't talented enough to win SBs doesn't mean they weren't talented enough to make the playoffs and possibly win a few more playoff games.
no that wasn't a question to garrett haters, to see where they stand....with that question, the other side also stands...if he wins, where will you stand...if he doesn't....well we know that already..... and some of the debate is subjective..... the haters point to Romo and Ware and claim that's enough to win championships...IMO, that's not enough, it takes a lot more. and IMO, at 8-8 we over achieved the first year....most here in preseason expected a 6-10 team in 2011...but when we lost in the last game of the season, a lot of fans here changed their mind and wanted more and didn't see it as an over achievement, but a failure...that team wasn't very talented...had a couple of rookies playing key roles and the OL was a mess.

I think the 2012 team under achieved. we should have won both of those last two games in the season...specially the Commanders game. I was also disappointed in how 2013 ended, with 2 close losses to GB and Philly.

with that said, I expected a few bumps along the way with a new head coach. I wasn't surprised. I wasn't mad. it was what it was.

2014 seemed to all come together and the catch which should have been....

with that said, since you bring up the SB question...I have also said, that this is Garrett's last chance...we either go to NFC championship or we move on....I have actually advocated for Schwartz as the head coaching candidate, since I like his defenses...very aggressive, compared to Marinelli's defenses.... and it would be ideal to have Washington come in last and Gruden get fired.....Gruden would be a great OC in dallas, his west coastish style of offense would be a fit for the offensive players we have on this team as opposed to the Linehan/Garrett timing based offense which required an accurate QB and Dak is not one.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
no that wasn't a question to garrett haters, to see where they stand....with that question, the other side also stands...if he wins, where will you stand...if he doesn't....well we know that already..... and some of the debate is subjective..... the haters point to Romo and Ware and claim that's enough to win championships...IMO, that's not enough, it takes a lot more. and IMO, at 8-8 we over achieved the first year....most here in preseason expected a 6-10 team in 2011...but when we lost in the last game of the season, a lot of fans here changed their mind and wanted more and didn't see it as an over achievement, but a failure...that team wasn't very talented...had a couple of rookies playing key roles and the OL was a mess.

I think the 2012 team under achieved. we should have won both of those last two games in the season...specially the Commanders game. I was also disappointed in how 2013 ended, with 2 close losses to GB and Philly.

with that said, I expected a few bumps along the way with a new head coach. I wasn't surprised. I wasn't mad. it was what it was.

2014 seemed to all come together and the catch which should have been....

with that said, since you bring up the SB question...I have also said, that this is Garrett's last chance...we either go to NFC championship or we move on....I have actually advocated for Schwartz as the head coaching candidate, since I like his defenses...very aggressive, compared to Marinelli's defenses.... and it would be ideal to have Washington come in last and Gruden get fired.....Gruden would be a great OC in dallas, his west coastish style of offense would be a fit for the offensive players we have on this team as opposed to the Linehan/Garrett timing based offense which required an accurate QB and Dak is not one.

Well, I was a huge Jason Garrett and Romo supporter and I can say that myself and other like-minded fans weren't trying to set the expectations with the haters that the team was 6-10 caliber. We were arguing with the haters that the team can still have a good season, even if we weren't having SB aspirations.

What I find funny is that when the team didn't win, the narrative changed to not being good enough, but the outlook remained positive for the upcoming season. Rinse/repeat, year after year.

The team was talented enough to have accomplished more than 2 playoff berths and 1 wild card win in 7 years. That 2011 team should have definitely made the playoffs. They threw away games against the Jets, Lions and Cardinals. They even had the Patriots on the ropes in Foxboro late in the 4th quarter and decided to run 3 straight times instead of going for the first down, in a game we couldn't run the ball effectively.

We even had a chance to seal the division in the first game against NY with a double digit lead in the 4th quarter which was blown. Miles Austin became wide open due to a defender falling down and could have walked into the end zone, but lost the dang ball in the lights. Win that game and NY doesn't even make the playoffs and eventually the SB.

So, this "lack of talent" being used as an excuse for under performing gets tiring. The team had chances to do better and failed. Just because winning it all may not have been realistic, it doesn't excuse the poor results entirely. That's why I am now a "hater".

kskboys

Reaction score
I think the question is not about a rip and replace with Garrett. The problem is that he has been around since 2010 and he has not shown that he can build a culture. That is the biggest problem. There is a saying in the biz world... culture eats strategy for breakfast. A HC is supposed to build a culture.. look at Bill, JJ, couglin, Parcells. Tell me what exactly does Garrett do? He slaps guys on the butt, spits and Claps. He doesn’t coach the offense, he doesn’t know how to manage the clock. He couldn’t even provide help when Tyron didn’t play against Atl and we have up 8, 9 sacks. Can we chip the De, can we move the TE?
I think any attempt any coach makes to improve the culture is sabotaged by Jerry. Don't forget, Wade levied a fine on a player, Jerry removed the fine.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well, I was a huge Jason Garrett and Romo supporter and I can say that myself and other like-minded fans weren't trying to set the expectations with the haters that the team was 6-10 caliber. We were arguing with the haters that the team can still have a good season, even if we weren't having SB aspirations.

What I find funny is that when the team didn't win, the narrative changed to not being good enough, but the outlook remained positive for the upcoming season. Rinse/repeat, year after year.

The team was talented enough to have accomplished more than 2 playoff berths and 1 wild card win in 7 years. That 2011 team should have definitely made the playoffs. They threw away games against the Jets, Lions and Cardinals. They even had the Patriots on the ropes in Foxboro late in the 4th quarter and decided to run 3 straight times instead of going for the first down, in a game we couldn't run the ball effectively.

We even had a chance to seal the division in the first game against NY with a double digit lead in the 4th quarter which was blown. Miles Austin became wide open due to a defender falling down and could have walked into the end zone, but lost the dang ball in the lights. Win that game and NY doesn't even make the playoffs and eventually the SB.

So, this "lack of talent" being used as an excuse for under performing gets tiring. The team had chances to do better and failed. Just because winning it all may not have been realistic, it doesn't excuse the poor results entirely. That's why I am now a "hater".
they under performed....a lot of it IMO for lack of talent....Austin was a flash in the pan, with one great game, one good game. outside of that he was average....we certainly had opportunities but blew it....coaching? yes. Players? yes. its a combination of things. its rarely one thing or the other, because if that's the case you end up like Kelly, where the team totally tunes him out and shuts down, or like Cleveland where they have zero talent. when its a mix, you end up in the middle, where we are.

I still think the 2011 team over achieved. they stayed close in games, lost at the end where I expected them to get blown out. we just weren't talented enough to close things out.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
they under performed....a lot of it IMO for lack of talent....Austin was a flash in the pan, with one great game, one good game. outside of that he was average....we certainly had opportunities but blew it....coaching? yes. Players? yes. its a combination of things. its rarely one thing or the other, because if that's the case you end up like Kelly, where the team totally tunes him out and shuts down, or like Cleveland where they have zero talent. when its a mix, you end up in the middle, where we are.

I still think the 2011 team over achieved. they stayed close in games, lost at the end where I expected them to get blown out. we just weren't talented enough to close things out.
You get beat when you're not talented, you don't beat yourselves, which is what the team did causing them to not make the playoffs.

In 2011 we went 8-8.

In week 1 against the Jets, we were in total control of the game in the 4th quarter, driving to take a 2 possession lead and fumbled near the goal line, then gave up a blocked punt for a TD, then throw an interception to give NY good field position for the game winning FG attempt. That game was in the bag. Simple ball security and we easily win that game. The Jets had no offense.

In week 4, we were in total control of the game. Had a huge lead in the 2nd half and a couple pick 6's later the Lions are back in a game they shouldn't have been. Simple ball security would easily win us that game.

Arizona game in week 13, kick the GW FG and we win that game. Arizona
NY game in week 14 - connect of the wide open pass to seal the game and put the nail in the coffin of the Giants.
We didn't even try to win in week 16 against Philly because that outcome didn't matter anymore, the week 17 game against NY would determine who made playoffs and whose season ended.

That is 4 games we had easy opportunities to seal the victory and 1 throw away game. That's 5 of the 8 losses on the season. I'm sorry but that isn't lack of talent.

We had strengths and weaknesses like every other team in the league had. The reason why we were in some of those games (like the Patriots) is because the team had the talent to compete. What they needed is better decision making and better execution at key moments, but the talent was there to be a playoff team.

Dre11

Reaction score
wait.....there are some saying pederson couldn’t do it here because we lack the talent and the Eagles were able to because of talent.

Yet.....in the eagles are ranked #1 in talent, peeps were saying they weren’t elite and had mediocre talent but just got lucky

:Do_O:rolleyes:;)

Are those the same people in this thread? They had great depth, they had money to burn and they went out and added some key pieces. I suspect if we had the money we could’ve possibly did it too or came awfully close.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m honestly not enamored with Pederson. Think it was a perfect storm / lightning in a bottle for them last year. I do think he would have gotten Dallas into the end zone from Seattle’s 1 though
Sadly it's a storm we haven't seen around here since the 90s.