For Those That Do NOT Support the RW Signing

joseephuss

Reaction score
cowboyz;2339704 said:
all you guys saying so what it could turn into a bobby carpenter, look at the last 10 years.

those busts are the reason the cowboys defense is no good. and why the team was so poor.

you can't get around the draft. that's how you build a successful team. and the ONLY way.

this trade just guarantees failure because it gives up any hope of improving/sustain your team.

at least now i can just sit back and relax, watch the game and forgot about wishing.hoping this team will do this or that to get better. their fate is sealed. welcome to a rebuilding team in 2 years.

patriots give up a 4th for moss
cowboys nothing for TO

and now they give up a 1,3,6 for roy williams :bang2:

Circular logic?

You can only build a successful team through the draft, but Dallas can't draft.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2339215 said:
As could have anyone else.

Getting Roy for those picks is far better than using the #1 on an unproven rookie WR which a ton of people were hoping we'd do.

Geez man we're still going to have 9 draft picks you don't think Jerry and his people can wheel and deal, move around, and make some pick ups that we need with 9 picks?

But our chances of acquiring Roy Williams in free agency was better than anyone else's. We are a contender, we can offer the most money and we are in Texas, his home state...oh yeah, he said he was a Cowboy fan growing up.

joseephuss

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2339746 said:
But our chances of acquiring Roy Williams in free agency was better than anyone else's. We are a contender, we can offer the most money and we are in Texas, his home state...oh yeah, he said he was a Cowboy fan growing up.

That is true. Of course that doesn't help the team at all this year. It is good for the long term future. Trading for him now helps the Cowboys' chances now and the future.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
I don't think it's out of reason to question this move. I think many of the points raised are valid. Hell, I was raising them as well in the last few days.

My take is this move will be rendered meaningless unless about 15 key players on this team start picking up their level of play. We have all these Pro Bowlers, but no one is playing their best. Now, if we start gelling over the next 10 games, and then you throw Roy in the mix, we could be onto something.

As for waiting until free agency to get him, remember he probably would have been franchised. You'd still be giving up picks; not to mention the fact he's here for 10-plus games this year to help.

Lastly, as for the effect on the offense, I don't think you get him in order to score 60 a game. I think you get him to improve the efficency of the offense, to take pressure off TO, and to give this team a future at the wide receiver spot.

To me, the future is the biggest key to this deal. We now have a young receiver to grow with Romo and to take over for TO when he starts to age. We didn't have that four hours ago.

sweetness0986

Reaction score
cowboyz;2339704 said:
all you guys saying so what it could turn into a bobby carpenter, look at the last 10 years.

those busts are the reason the cowboys defense is no good. and why the team was so poor.

you can't get around the draft. that's how you build a successful team. and the ONLY way.

this trade just guarantees failure because it gives up any hope of improving/sustain your team.

at least now i can just sit back and relax, watch the game and forgot about wishing.hoping this team will do this or that to get better. their fate is sealed. welcome to a rebuilding team in 2 years.

patriots give up a 4th for moss
cowboys nothing for TO

and now they give up a 1,3,6 for roy williams :bang2:
Um, what? We still have plenty of picks, and our future receiver.

joseephuss

Reaction score
RainMan;2339766 said:
I don't think it's out of reason to question this move. I think many of the points raised are valid. Hell, I was raising them as well in the last few days.

My take is this move will be rendered meaningless unless about 15 key players on this team start picking up their level of play. We have all these Pro Bowlers, but no one is playing their best. Now, if we start gelling over the next 10 games, and then you throw Roy in the mix, we could be onto something.

As for waiting until free agency to get him, remember he probably would have been franchised. You'd still be giving up picks; not to mention the fact he's here for 10-plus games this year to help.

Lastly, as for the effect on the offense, I don't think you get him in order to score 60 a game. I think you get him to improve the efficency of the offense, to take pressure off TO, and to give this team a future at the wide receiver spot.

To me, the future is the biggest key to this deal. We now have a young receiver to grow with Romo and to take over for TO when he starts to age. We didn't have that four hours ago.

Very good points. You are right that ultimately the success of Dallas is not all on Roy, it is about several more players stepping up their games the rest of this season. The same can be said about next year and future years down the line.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
The real reason we got Roy is because Pacman has been suspended so Crayton has to step in at PR and that leaves a hole at WR...

cowboyz

Reaction score
joseephuss;2339735 said:
Circular logic?

You can only build a successful team through the draft, but Dallas can't draft.
then you're saying dallas is doomed.
dallas drafts bad = bad team
dallas drafts good = good team
dallas trades picks in draft = bad draft = bad team.

also, i do not agree with your premise. this past year they had a good draft. another good draft could put this team over the top.

next year, the ex-houston gm was speculating that it will be one of the best drafts ever because agents are encouraging the juniors to leave before the cba ends.

this team is not as talented as many claim. they have players that are really good, but they have no depth because the 2007 and 2006 was not good.

kosier goes down = nothing to fill
ratliff has no backup and no help on the dline.
no quality safeties besides hamlin who is just a JAG.
no quality ilbs besides zack

look at the oline. it went from a great line to a poor line because their weakest member got injured.

with jacque reeves out there. it didn't matter if newman and henry were there.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Everyone saying our drafting sucks so why not trade the picks... You don't like Felix Jones?

And I think people will like Jenkins before long, too.

Trading high picks for players is Snyder-think. Not only do you not infuse 20-22 year old talent into your team, you miss out on five years of CHEAP talent that helps your salary cap.

I hope it works out because I do like the player.

btcutter

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2339808 said:
Everyone saying our drafting sucks so why not trade the picks... You don't like Felix Jones?

And I think people will like Jenkins before long, too.

Trading high picks for players is Snyder-think. Not only do you not infuse 20-22 year old talent into your team, you miss out on five years of CHEAP talent that helps your salary cap.

I hope it works out because I do like the player.

you are under the assumption that all 1st rounders pan out like All Pros. Truth is you will always pay more for a sure thing.

I would rather trade picks for an established player than trading picks for picks just so you can draft a player with more POTENTIAL.

joseephuss

Reaction score
cowboyz;2339807 said:
then you're saying dallas is doomed.
dallas drafts bad = bad team
dallas drafts good = good team
dallas trades picks in draft = bad draft = bad team.

also, i do not agree with your premise. this past year they had a good draft. another good draft could put this team over the top.

next year, the ex-houston gm was speculating that it will be one of the best drafts ever because agents are encouraging the juniors to leave before the cba ends.

this team is not as talented as many claim. they have players that are really good, but they have no depth because the 2007 and 2006 was not good.

kosier goes down = nothing to fill
ratliff has no backup and no help on the dline.
no quality safeties besides hamlin who is just a JAG.
no quality ilbs besides zack

look at the oline. it went from a great line to a poor line because their weakest member got injured.

with jacque reeves out there. it didn't matter if newman and henry were there.

No, I wasn't saying that Dallas was doomed. You did.

You said that you can only build a good team through the draft. Then you went on to criticize Dallas for not being good in the draft. I disagree with you on that point and think they have done a good job in the draft the past several years.

You build a majority of a team through the draft and then use trades and free agency to fill in one or two final pieces to get a championship.

Dallas did that in the 70s and 90s and won Superbowls. The nucleus of the teams of that era were built through the draft. They then made strategic trades and signings to put them over the top.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
btcutter;2339835 said:
you are under the assumption that all 1st rounders pan out like All Pros. Truth is you will always pay more for a sure thing.

I would rather trade picks for an established player than trading picks for picks just so you can draft a player with more POTENTIAL.

...and you are under the assumption that whoever we drafted wouldn't have been as good for this team as Roy. Either way there is an assumption, is it so wrong to consider the other side of the same coin?