For those that don't want to re-sign Dak, then who?

Dodger12

Reaction score
And I'll add one more thing. The Chiefs could have done exactly what some here are proposing. Stand firm with a 2nd rate QB who even played pretty well and took them to the playoffs. During his stint in KC, Smith was 11 and 4, 8 and 7, 11 and 5, 11 and 4 and 9 and 6 and make the Pro-Bowl 3 out of his 5 seasons there. But they didn't settle. They still made a move for Mahomes.

JohnBoy

Reaction score
"17-18 million a year max for me on a 3 year deal with option for a 4th year. Probably couldn’t sign him for that though."

Why not? One thing I have yet to see discussed (but I might have simply missed it) is this: if Dak doesn't get what he/his agent wants this off-season, where would Dak market himself?

irishline

Reaction score
It would take gutting two or three drafts to get One of them
That’s the delima

I am not giving up on Dak, but it is this kind of thinking that will keep us where we have been the last 20 years. The Eagles traded up and got A QB for that amount... they won a superbowl last year. The Rams traded up and took Goff and look where that has gotten them. I understand the "delima", and yes there is risk, but its not like other teams have not had success doing exactly what you said. At this point I would gladly take a couple 7-9 seasons if it got us a Superbowl. We have been basically 8-8ish for decades without one.

That said, while Dak has areas he can improve in, as long as the contract is not completely handcuffing the team and we can get out of it if needed, I am fine with an extension.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Top FAs this offseason look to be - Teddy Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, maybe Sam Bradford or Robert Griffin III

None of them are the answer, and none are going to be particularly cheap. With our pick in the late 2nd, we aren't getting a marquee QB.

Dak isn't an A or A- QB. He isn't a B+, but he is a B / B- guy with upside remaining. He's the type of guy you should want to keep around.
I’d like to see us look to the draft.

There’s several we could select in 2nd or 3rd round.

And wait one more year on extending Dak.

Mr_437

Reaction score
If Dak realizes Stephen has to pay his offensive supporting staff big bucks, plus a stellar defense to keep them in the game till Dak gets his act together every other game then fine. In this market, 20M is a good number or around 9% of the cap for Dak.

This team's identity/winning formula is Top rushing attack and Top defense, hopefully they don't lose that identity overpaying Dak.

Keep drafting QBs, hopefully DAL finds a coach who can develop them.

75boyz

Reaction score
How are you going to make that happen? 20 NFL teams will want Tua. How are the Cowboys going to get him?

If Mike Ditka can give away an entire draft for the rights to Ricky Williams, surely Jerry Jones could do the same in order to get Tua. Its the only hope.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d like to see us look to the draft.

There’s several we could select in 2nd or 3rd round.

And wait one more year on extending Dak.

tenor.gif

conner01

Reaction score
I am not giving up on Dak, but it is this kind of thinking that will keep us where we have been the last 20 years. The Eagles traded up and got A QB for that amount... they won a superbowl last year. The Rams traded up and took Goff and look where that has gotten them. I understand the "delima", and yes there is risk, but its not like other teams have not had success doing exactly what you said. At this point I would gladly take a couple 7-9 seasons if it got us a Superbowl. We have been basically 8-8ish for decades without one.

That said, while Dak has areas he can improve in, as long as the contract is not completely handcuffing the team and we can get out of it if needed, I am fine with an extension.
I’m all for extending Dak if you can get a deal you can get out of in 3 years
I’m all for trading up for a QB but when you trade up from the middle of the draft or lower it’s teally expensive in terms of picks so if you hit you are fine but if you miss you are damaged for years

bsbellomy

Reaction score
How are you going to make that happen? 20 NFL teams will want Tua. How are the Cowboys going to get him?

Seems like a couple years ago the Eagles were drafting in the mid teens and they traded up a bunch of spots to grab Wentz. Not like it can't be done.

And no 20 teams don't need a QB.

75boyz

Reaction score
And I'll add one more thing. The Chiefs could have done exactly what some here are proposing. Stand firm with a 2nd rate QB who even played pretty well and took them to the playoffs. During his stint in KC, Smith was 11 and 4, 8 and 7, 11 and 5, 11 and 4 and 9 and 6 and make the Pro-Bowl 3 out of his 5 seasons there. But they didn't settle. They still made a move for Mahomes.
Nicely done and perfect example.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
All the Dak detractors are full of reasons why Dak sux.....but when asked who they would get, you either get a crickets response or some pipe dream that someone in the draft (when we don’t have a first round pick) is a for sure thing. Or, they propose some veteran like Stafford or Flacco who will command big money and are on the back side of their career.

Sometimes just thinking the future unknown is automatically better than what we have is not very well thought out. Dak isn’t a top tier QB, but he’s still only 25, and he’s already shown he can win in the regular season without great stats.

Besides, this isn’t fantasy football where stats really matter. This is real football where wins matter. I know Dak has some limitations and flaws. But just thinking getting rid of him is an automatic upgrade is just stupid.

You have no idea who might become available. Did you think the Broncos were thinking that they could replace Tim Tebow with Peyton Manning during Tebow's final year in Denver? The point is you can't tie yourself up to mediocrity because if and when a better option comes along you have your hands tied.

And for the record I would take all 4 QB that were drafted in R1 2018 over Dak. Trubisky and Watson in 2017. Goff, Wentz, and Mahomes in 2016. All better than Dak. Are you presuming to know what the available QB talent pool is going to be over the next few years?

Last edited:

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Top FAs this offseason look to be - Teddy Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, maybe Sam Bradford or Robert Griffin III

None of them are the answer, and none are going to be particularly cheap. With our pick in the late 2nd, we aren't getting a marquee QB.

Dak isn't an A or A- QB. He isn't a B+, but he is a B / B- guy with upside remaining. He's the type of guy you should want to keep around.

My answer is Dak for at least two more years. Let him play out his rookie deal and then franchise him for one year. That gives us two more years to evaluate him and two more drafts to pick up someone else if they want. There is zero reason to resign him now. He needs to have some playoff success before I would committ to him long term for big money. If that ends up coming this year, then I’ll likely change my mind.

wssaustin

Reaction score
Exactly. Just paied Zack Martin, now we got another list of studs we need to sign. It is dumb to break the bank of Cap space for an average at best QB.

Tell me what the roster looks like after we pay Lawrence, Jones, Cooper. If you over pay Dak and Jerry likely will then the rest of our roster will suffer. He's an average player who needs a ton of help and if paid then they also stop looking at trying to develop another guy. At his current salary he's ok but not at anything close to starting QB salary.

Hardline

Reaction score
I would take Dewayne Haskins QB from Ohio State but unfortunately his draft stock is going to shoot through the roof.
If Herbert decides not to come out I can see Haskins going in the top 10.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Dak is a good backup qb, not more.

He has 1 more years on his contract. 5th year opt & 1 FT at least. Thats 3 full years for the FO to either trade or draft his follower.

Next year isnt a good QB year. Either in FA or the draft..so we should have saved all our resources for 2020. But then came the pooper....

Well now we are deep into it....

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

Take a look at this year.

Cousin gets a ridiculous amount to sign with the Vikes.

Another high signing QB goes to the Commanders, Alex Smith.

Of course he is injured now

But these teams thought they had signed a ticket to a championship with these signings.

Neither is dominating anybody.

DAK has to grow more.

Pure and simple.

conner01

Reaction score
"17-18 million a year max for me on a 3 year deal with option for a 4th year. Probably couldn’t sign him for that though."

Why not? One thing I have yet to see discussed (but I might have simply missed it) is this: if Dak doesn't get what he/his agent wants this off-season, where would Dak market himself?
Like it or not a viable starting QB is gonna get 20 mil or more
I think it’s bad for the league that it’s gotten where avg QB get that much but a guy like Flacco is kinda where it started