For Those That Like Not Signing Free Agents And Say Its The Best Way, Why Do The Good Teams Do It?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Its just sad and embarrassing how inept this team is run.:(
This isn’t breaking news. Not sure why everyone is so shocked. We’ve been a dysfunctional organization for a generation. It’s the greatest obstacle we have to overcome.

They can’t trust themselves to make bold FA moves. Last year with the trade for Cooper was a rare success for them.

The Cowboys struggle evaluating their own talent so difficult to imagine them evaluating others very well.

The draft appears to be our best outlet for talent.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ok. So you named one. The Cowboys traded for Cooper and that worked out too. Come on now you guys know better than this
Our front office can’t even make bargains in FA work out very well. Like Austin and Herd last year. Our receivers by committee was an epic failure.

Can’t blame them for staying away in FA. Lol

Mobinvans

Reaction score
cowboys fans have been brainwashed into thinking Penny pinching is the right way. The truth is the cowboys suck at free agency and are scared.
Yup....the player window is so small you cant just draft all your players, you need to be good at free agency to...duh

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think the cowboys have been burned so much in free agency that they don't want to really be involved but I also don't think they are very good at the free agency market
Correct. You need to have more than a part time GM. Who watches film. Lol

Nawww.. we’d rather take risk with problem players who drop in the draft. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We also signed Carr to a 5 year 50MM deal. How did that work out?

Saying you as a rule sit out the outlandish deals of the 1st week of free agency doesn't mean you never sign a guy to a deal.

Stop thinking about hte world in black and white.
Actually the Carr deal was one of our better FA moves this era. Which is how badly we’ve done.

Don’t forget about Hardy..our most recent big FA move. Lol

Cowboys actually are somewhat active in FA . Just not in the first couple days of big splashes.

And all teams aren’t active every year in making big moves. I’m not sure who we thought the Cowboys should have gone after besides Earl. And that opportunity hasn’’t passed yet.

John813

Reaction score

Saying you as a rule sit out the outlandish deals of the 1st week of free agency doesn't mean you never sign a guy to a deal.

Curious if he wouldn't of been so average had they not canned Rob Ryans man to man coverage defense for Monte Kiffin and Rods zone coverage schemes. Not to say we never ran M2M coverage under Kiffin/Rod, but those two guys were zone coverage guys first and I don't recall if our secondary coaches where any good.
The FO went all in for Ryan in 2012, getting him man coverage corners in FA and then the draft, then can him and his system the following year.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Take the Pats, the year before last they signed Stephon Gilmore, CB from the Bills.

5 yrs, $65 million, $31 guaranteed

I'm sure the homers here would all say "its stupid to spend that much on a free agent, they are not worth it".

In two seasons, including playoffs, he has 40 pass defenses, 6 picks, and was rated as the number one CB in the league by PFF this year.

He also intercepted Jared Goff in the SB to seal the win for the Pats.

So where did this myth come from that all free agents signed on day 1 are all overpriced, never live up to their contracts, and will cripple your cap? I wonder if the Pats regret signing Gilmore as they polish yet another Lombardi trophy?

Lol you used an example of a team thats known for staying out of paying big contracts early in free agency?

Gilmore is Patriots only big free agent signing over the last five offseasons, and this offseason looks the exact same. So we're actually emulating the model that they're using and you're trying to use it as a basis to trash them? LMAO if you want to start a thread you have to know the subject better.

Also the Gilmlre signing looked like an albatross his first year there because he was trash. Patriots still managed to get to the SB that year too with no help from significant outside FA signings.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Our front office can’t even make bargains in FA work out very well. Like Austin and Herd last year. Our receivers by committee was an epic failure.

Can’t blame them for staying away in FA. Lol
Austin and Hurns are 3 stringers and yet Jerry sold the fans that Hurns was gonna replace Dez. Austin is a bust. If McVay couldn't get anything out of him how are we to think Garrett can.

IrishAnto

Reaction score

Everybody rags on Carr, but the main reason the Boys didn't get value for their $50m was as much (if not more) on the Cowboys than it was on Carr.
Don't believe me, then just look at all the other DBs on the team who were getting 4-5 + interceptions per year while Carr was on the team.

Oh Wait! There were none.

A trend that continues to this day.
So if you're going to spend big in FA then you'd better make sure the TEAM is capable of maximising his talents.

Sydla

Reaction score
Ok. So you named one. The Cowboys traded for Cooper and that worked out too. Come on now you guys know better than this

Should I be surprised that you are on the "Cowboys operate just like the Patriots" train?

Ddisco22

Reaction score
cowboys fans have been brainwashed into thinking Penny pinching is the right way. The truth is the cowboys suck at free agency and are scared.
I believe so, their strategy is kinda dumb seeing how it doesn't work. If you are missing a few key pieces, why not go out and get them, we are sooo close yet they won't even spend a few pennies to fill that void! For me it's not about the money because they can make it work anyway they want, it's about the player.
if we need a safety and a DL, go and grab one.
With the draft you normally have to wait a couple years for the player to progress but by that time we will get rid of another starter and have to start all over again.
Basically we keep doing the same thing.
They preach paying their own players BS!!!! they can't seem to get that done either and they always let the better players go so they don't have to pay them.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
Everybody rags on Carr, but the main reason the Boys didn't get value for their $50m was as much (if not more) on the Cowboys than it was on Carr.
Don't believe me, then just look at all the other DBs on the team who were getting 4-5 + interceptions per year while Carr was on the team.

Oh Wait! There were none.

A trend that continues to this day.
So if you're going to spend big in FA then you'd better make sure the TEAM is capable of maximising his talents.
That's the only example people keep throwing up....lmao comical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

silvrNblue

Reaction score
YOU apparently have forgotten the days of JJ and HIS grandiose FA signing's... good lawd! I say they are gun shy, but I believe we are yet to be surprised. Good things come to those who wait/ or have patience.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Take the Pats, the year before last they signed Stephon Gilmore, CB from the Bills.

I'm sure the homers here would all say "its stupid to spend that much on a free agent, they are not worth it".

In two seasons, including playoffs, he has 40 pass defenses, 6 picks, and was rated as the number one CB in the league by PFF this year.

So where did this myth come from that all free agents signed on day 1 are all overpriced, never live up to their contracts, and will cripple your cap? I wonder if the Pats regret signing Gilmore as they polish yet another Lombardi trophy?
The good teams don’t.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont say its the best way but you need to use it sometimes to plug a whole. The whole draft only doesnt work imo. That's a long term build not a win now thing

Exactly. At best, you can maintain being average. You have to add a piece or two to the puzzle that you didn't get in the draft.

For this team? That's defensive tackle and safety. And the suspensions of two of their best defensive linemen - along with their recent 1st round DE being a bust - make that an even greater priority.

You keep on keeping on and you'll also keep on being a 9 or 10 win team that gets bounced early in the playoffs. Certainly if you maintain what is a coaching liability.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are saving their money to pay the all pro players they have. The ones that havent come close to winning anything. I agree that it would be nice to stock this roster full of talent at every position but the most crucial position on the roster is QB. And i just dont see him being good enough to win a SB regardless of the talent.

I was going to mention that, do other 10-win teams make maintaining status quo their top priority?

Sydla

Reaction score
I was going to mention that, do other 10-win teams make maintaining status quo their top priority?

Especially after their co-GM/owner said that the status quo isn't good enough and that this team has to take the next step?

ryanbabs

Reaction score

The Pats are just a different animal. They also have the best/smartest coach on the planet. We’re not that fortunate and could greatly benefit with better talent.