For Those That Like Not Signing Free Agents And Say Its The Best Way, Why Do The Good Teams Do It?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hardy was a one year, near zero risk deal.
Carr was last I will simply go out and pay what is needed guy.

And he was a great team guy and solid player but was also very overpaid here the entire time.
Team learned it's lesson.
It was a risk needed because we missed in draft on CB. Two 1st round picks in one era. Jenkins and Claiborne.

And where often these risk are deemed from.

Or from losing a big star to FA leaving a hole making the Cooper deal a necessity.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
It's why we never have any depth . We go for the scrubs. Can't wait to see who Stephen gets in a few weeks.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m curious . Besides Earl what other big names are we thinking we should be going after?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Just fn relax!!

Patience we are a playoff team with less holes to fill, it’s just beginning.

Way early for all this overreaction drama.
Relax

Sydla

Reaction score
I’m curious . Besides Earl what other big names are we thinking we should be going after?

Justin Houston might a big name. With the Lawrence situation and Gregory being an unknown, I think we have an issue at DE. You can't count on Charlton and Armstrong at this point.

So I would be looking hard at both Houston and Ansah.

visionary

Reaction score
Take the Pats, the year before last they signed Stephon Gilmore, CB from the Bills.

5 yrs, $65 million, $31 guaranteed

I'm sure the homers here would all say "its stupid to spend that much on a free agent, they are not worth it".

In two seasons, including playoffs, he has 40 pass defenses, 6 picks, and was rated as the number one CB in the league by PFF this year.

He also intercepted Jared Goff in the SB to seal the win for the Pats.

So where did this myth come from that all free agents signed on day 1 are all overpriced, never live up to their contracts, and will cripple your cap? I wonder if the Pats regret signing Gilmore as they polish yet another Lombardi trophy?

Good teams are apparently stupid and want to (and do) win SBs

We are smarter than that and know better

In other news, any cowboy fan, yes ANY cowboy fan that even tries to defend the utter incompetence of this FO after 20+ years of trash is an idiot

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Justin Houston might a big name. With the Lawrence situation and Gregory being an unknown, I think we have an issue at DE. You can't count on Charlton and Armstrong at this point.

So I would be looking hard at both Houston and Ansah.
I think we can pretty well count on Gregory gone. At least this year. And I think we’ll sign Lawrence.

Verdict

Reaction score
Should I be surprised that you are on the "Cowboys operate just like the Patriots" train?

I seldom share your point of view, but I am tolerant of your opinions and do not try to make it personal with you. How about giving a fellow poster the same courtesy?

Verdict

Reaction score
Our front office can’t even make bargains in FA work out very well. Like Austin and Herd last year. Our receivers by committee was an epic failure.

Can’t blame them for staying away in FA. Lol

Yeah. FA is definitely buyer beware and a crap shoot.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think we can pretty well count on Gregory gone. At least this year. And I think we’ll sign Lawrence.

I thought so too, initially on Gregory. But maybe the tide is turning a little on him. Time will tell.

Sydla

Reaction score
I seldom share your point of view, but I am tolerant of your opinions and do not try to make it personal with you. How about giving a fellow poster the same courtesy?

There is nothing personal here. It's an honest question. You seem to be buying this notion that we are operating just like the Patriots when it comes to roster building.

Verdict

Reaction score
It's an honest question. You seem to be buying this notion that we are operating just like the Patriots when it comes to roster building.

That's not how it came across. Yes, I think we have adopted the Patriots model to a large degree.

We aren't there yet, because we are still jacking around with Lawrence. But we are building through the draft, getting harder nosed with contracts and cutting nonperforming contracts.

Witten and Sean Lee however do not fit into that narrative and I will concede that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Good teams are apparently stupid and want to (and do) win SBs

We are smarter than that and know better

In other news, any cowboy fan, yes ANY cowboy fan that even tries to defend the utter incompetence of this FO after 20+ years of trash is an idiot
It is what it is. After a couple decades it does become useless when we know nothing’s going to change.

Obviously winning Super Bowls aren’t a top priority to this dysfunctional organization.

Flamma

Reaction score
Take the Pats, the year before last they signed Stephon Gilmore, CB from the Bills.

5 yrs, $65 million, $31 guaranteed

I'm sure the homers here would all say "its stupid to spend that much on a free agent, they are not worth it".

In two seasons, including playoffs, he has 40 pass defenses, 6 picks, and was rated as the number one CB in the league by PFF this year.

He also intercepted Jared Goff in the SB to seal the win for the Pats.

So where did this myth come from that all free agents signed on day 1 are all overpriced, never live up to their contracts, and will cripple your cap? I wonder if the Pats regret signing Gilmore as they polish yet another Lombardi trophy?

Everything in moderation. I wouldn't tap out, or go all in. Look what the Eagles did in 2017. If you feel your team is in striking distance you fill in the gaps through trades and FA. Their moves put them over the top. The Rams were pretty successful as well. But the problem the Cowboys have going forward is signing their own players. But that shouldn't stop them from bringing in some one year mercenaries if possible.

Sydla

Reaction score
That's not how it came across. Yes, I think we have adopted the Patriots model to a large degree.

We aren't there yet, because we are still jacking around with Lawrence. But we are building through the draft, getting harder nosed with contracts and cutting nonperforming contracts.

Witten and Sean Lee however do not fit into that narrative and I will concede that.

There is more that we do (or don't do) that doesn't fit the narrative.

Deny it all you want, but the Patriots are far more willing to dip into FA than we are. Sure, they don't spend like the Giants did a few years ago but they are more willing to jump on a guy and pay him a bit of money if it's a clear need they want to fill. They are also far more willing to use trades to improve their roster than we are.

People just have made the faulty logic leap that our "cheapness" in FA is exactly what the Patriots do ergo, we have the same strategy to roster building. It's a fallacy. It's not true. It's bogus.

How the Patriots churn their roster, make moves, add players is not close to how we manage our roster. They likely wouldn't jack around with Lawrence like you claimed. They would likely not even have taken Elliott at 4. They would likely think about trying to trade him at this point. They probably would not have signed 3 OL to massive deals like we did.

Granted, having Brady and Belichick allows them some flexibility we simply don't have with Garrett and Prescott but there really is no comparison in how they build a team and how we try to do it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There is more that we do (or don't do) that doesn't fit the narrative.

Deny it all you want, but the Patriots are far more willing to dip into FA than we are. Sure, they don't spend like the Giants did a few years ago but they are more willing to jump on a guy and pay him a bit of money if it's a clear need they want to fill. They are also far more willing to use trades to improve their roster than we are.

People just have made the faulty logic leap that our "cheapness" in FA is exactly what the Patriots do ergo, we have the same strategy to roster building. It's a fallacy. It's not true. It's bogus.

How the Patriots churn their roster, make moves, add players is not close to how we manage our roster.
Surely we aren’t expecting our dufus front office and GM to be as sharp as the Pats? Lol

We might be attempting to conduct ourselves like the Pats. But I wouldn’t insult the World Champs. Ha

Sydla

Reaction score
Surely we aren’t expecting our dufus front office and GM to be as sharp as the Pats? Lol

We might be attempting to conduct ourselves like the Pats. But I wouldn’t insult the World Champs. Ha

I don't expect it at this point but I think it's hilarious that people are actually claiming we operate like the Patriots do.