For Those That Like Not Signing Free Agents And Say Its The Best Way, Why Do The Good Teams Do It?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Especially after their co-GM/owner said that the status quo isn't good enough and that this team has to take the next step?

To me it sounded like the same old, tired, offseason rhetoric after another letdown of a season. But it seems to work as the lemmings all eat it up and come back for more, checkbook in hand.

Meanwhile, the Joneses are vacationing on their new yacht that all of those same people bought for them.

I wonder how the head coach who's supposedly in 'win or else' mode feels about that?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Especially after their co-GM/owner said that the status quo isn't good enough and that this team has to take the next step?
We have to put the rhetoric from our Football Idiot in proper perspective. They throw it out there to promote their product providing hope.

Other teams don’t need to act as such. Their results are held accountable. But in an organization where there’s no accountability this is the type of propaganda our dysfunctional organization dishes out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
To me it sounded like the same old, tired, offseason rhetoric after another letdown of a season. But it seems to work as the lemmings all eat it up and come back for more, checkbook in hand.

Meanwhile, the Joneses are vacationing on their new yacht that all of those same people bought for them.

I wonder how the head coach who's supposedly in 'win or else' mode feels about that?
Yep.. same ole rhetoric basically promoting hope for a hopeless situation.

And while they threw this rhetoric out there they really weren’t very specific what the expectations were. I’m sure they won’t be firing themselves but they always leave room for scapegoats or sacrificial lambs if needed.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep.. same ole rhetoric basically promoting hope for a hopeless situation.

Jerry's always been a master salesman. People simply have to decide whether or not to buy what he's selling.

And based on his bank account and new boat? Plenty of them still do.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Take the Pats, the year before last they signed Stephon Gilmore, CB from the Bills.

5 yrs, $65 million, $31 guaranteed

I'm sure the homers here would all say "its stupid to spend that much on a free agent, they are not worth it".

In two seasons, including playoffs, he has 40 pass defenses, 6 picks, and was rated as the number one CB in the league by PFF this year.

He also intercepted Jared Goff in the SB to seal the win for the Pats.

So where did this myth come from that all free agents signed on day 1 are all overpriced, never live up to their contracts, and will cripple your cap? I wonder if the Pats regret signing Gilmore as they polish yet another Lombardi trophy?

Because people follow the trend and the trend used to be that not spending in Free Agency was the way forward but the trend changed and the opinions of some fans and even our management didn't.

By the time our front office figures out that being a playoff team and adding real talent through free agency increases you chances the trend will change i'm sure.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry's always been a master salesman. People simply have to decide whether or not to buy what he's selling.

And based on his bank account and new boat? Plenty of them still do.
And then there’s the rest of us who don’t buy in directly but we’re still lingering around because we’re addicted to his product.

We’re Cowboy Junkies waiting on the street corner for whatever product he throws our way to digest for 16 games completely at his mercy.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Take the Pats, the year before last they signed Stephon Gilmore, CB from the Bills.

I'm sure the homers here would all say "its stupid to spend that much on a free agent, they are not worth it".

In two seasons, including playoffs, he has 40 pass defenses, 6 picks, and was rated as the number one CB in the league by PFF this year.

So where did this myth come from that all free agents signed on day 1 are all overpriced, never live up to their contracts, and will cripple your cap? I wonder if the Pats regret signing Gilmore as they polish yet another Lombardi trophy?
This is one of those arguments that presumes accuracy when in fact it is not.

If you use winning % as a factor DAL is top 5 the past 5 seasons.
That is how you know what they are doing is working.

NE is tops and Gilmore was A splashy signing. They signed him to replace a poor draft selection at CB.
But most importantly NE doesn't splash about a lot on FA and in fact often are very cheap letting their own guys walk.
They've now lost their best pass rusher 2 times in 5 seasons.
They just lost a Pass Rusher and their top OL.

NE spends money to stop passing games and succeed in passing game which is kinda no brainer nowadays.
But they weren't in on any of these day 1 expensive guys this year.
And aren't most years.
Instead they big time cherry pick in FA and in trades to upgrade.
And churn the roster big time to keep it cheap as possible.

lostar2009

Reaction score

Gilmore didn't single handed win them a SB. He was a nice piece. But as you can see now that signing have them staying Pat this off-season. Teams have their moments to spend.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And then there’s the rest of us who don’t buy in directly but we’re still lingering around because we’re addicted to his product.

We’re Cowboy Junkies waiting on the street corner for whatever product he throws our way to digest for 16 games completely at his mercy.

Are you saying @Reality is secretly Jerry Jones?
:omg:

If so, it's been nice knowing all of you, er most of you, well, some of you.

ZjRFZp.gif

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is one of those arguments that presumes accuracy when in fact it is not.

If you use winning % as a factor DAL is top 5 the past 5 seasons.
That is how you know what they are doing is working.

NE is tops and Gilmore was A splashy signing. They signed him to replace a poor draft selection at CB.
But most importantly NE doesn't splash about a lot on FA and in fact often are very cheap letting their own guys walk.
They've now lost their best pass rusher 2 times in 5 seasons.
They just lost a Pass Rusher and their top OL.

NE spends money to stop passing games and succeed in passing game which is kinda no brainer nowadays.
But they weren't in on any of these day 1 expensive guys this year.
And aren't most years.
Instead they big time cherry pick in FA and in trades to upgrade.
And churn the roster big time to keep it cheap as possible.
Right.. and watch their drafts. DL and OL in early rounds.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Don’t forget about Hardy.
Hardy was a one year, near zero risk deal.
Carr was last I will simply go out and pay what is needed guy.

And he was a great team guy and solid player but was also very overpaid here the entire time.
Team learned it's lesson.

blueblood70

Reaction score
All the hate and accusations about the cowboys be Img inept as what a playoff team ? Winning divisions? Sure we want more but DO YOU REALIZE TODAY ISCTHE FIRST DAY OF FREE AGENCY. YES ITS JUST STARTED. CAN WE WAIT BEFORE 300 rediclous hate post on your own team before the rosters finalized ?

Seriously 15 of the big players in tier 1 free agents so far are all losers not winners. They all had losing seasons the last 5 years.

Yes a few of the deals made were by good teams but most of the big money sightings are bad teams. Period.

We have time there’s guys out there. Slow the F down on the hate. Tools

heir

Reaction score
Cowboys HAD the right philosophy to get to this point. Draft well and do not make big splashes until you are a quality team and have flexibility with your cap. NOW is the time that you do spend. You have to add to your team and not be afraid to sign them to big contracts.
You just don't need to sign three of them to huge contracts on day one like they used to do.

This front office can never get it right.

Sydla

Reaction score
https://www.patriots.com/news/patriots-2019-free-agent-tracker

4 FA departures.

1 FA Signing: a back up RB who is a special teams guy.
1 guy re-signed, a back up DE.
1 trade for a pass rusher(Michael Bennett) to replace departing Trey Flowers who got 90m from Detroit.

Pats are just out there making it rain I tell ya.

Is this the part where we go with strawman arguments?

No one has ever uttered that the Patriots spend like drunken sailors in FA. But they are more likely to active early in FA than we have been in recent years. They utilize every tool, every method at their disposal year after year to build the best roster they can. We do not.

It's downright bizarre that we have reached the point where in defending what this front office does at this time of the year people are invoking the Patriots as apparently a comp for us.

Last edited: