For Those Who Don’t Like That We Paid Dak, What Was Your Alternative?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So either sign Brady (of which there is no idea if Brady ever even considered the Cowboys or anyone but Tampa) or pie-in-the-sky trade scenarios that would have never happened. Sounds about right.

There is thing called the draft? Ever heard of it.

If you aren’t proactive you won’t replace a QB.

You guys act like the stars had to perfectly align. Sometimes you have to actually go get things done.

If Dallas wanted to replace Dak it could’ve been done.

Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of “we shouldn’t have paid him” talk and I’m genuinely curious as to what you resident CowboysZone GM’s would’ve done. He’s a top 10 QB. The way the market works is the next man up in that top 10ish bracket gets a top contract. He’s the 4th highest paid right now, in two years he’ll be the 8th or 9th. He’s not the highest paid QB forever. His teammates adore him there’s no way not signing him would go over well in the locker room. I don’t see any scenario where we let him go and are 10-4 at this point in the season.

What would’ve been y’all’s alternative? A rookie QB and miss out on the next best thing since LT? Try to sell the farm to Seattle when they obviously weren’t interested in trading away their only hope for winning football?

Seriously, what would y’all have done this offseason if you cut the chord on Dak?

If you're wild-catting for oil do you sink all your money into a dry patch and keep drilling anyway? If you're Jerry Jones the answer is yes because his business is making stars out of jags and selling false hope.

817Gill

Reaction score
If you're wild-catting for oil do you sink all your money into a dry patch and keep drilling anyway? If you're Jerry Jones the answer is yes because his business is making stars out of jags and selling false hope.
10-4 isn’t a dry patch? You’d think we were sub 500 with the way you’re framing this. Please tell me, what other QB would you have gotten this offseason?

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score

You guys act like the stars had to perfectly align. Sometimes you have to actually go get things done.

With who? Name the player you would have drafted.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I said sign Brady to a 3 year deal when New England let him go.

I also wanted to attempt a trade for Derek Carr as well as move up in the draft for a QB like Justin Herbert (imagine we had done that).

The absolute wrong thing to do is what we did and just give Dak whatever he wanted. Massive screw up.

We got a 27 mill a year QB getting paid like he’s the best QB in football.
Jerry got fleeced. Should of had Brady or the scouts within this organization should of seen Hebert coming. If they didn't they should all be fired.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
With who? Name the player you would have drafted.

Oh if it were me I would’ve moved up in the past couple of drafts for a QB.

We could’ve set still and had Justin Fields or Mac Jones in this past draft but I would’ve gone up for a guy.

Reaction score
10-4 isn’t a dry patch? You’d think we were sub 500 with the way you’re framing this. Please tell me, what other QB would you have gotten this offseason?

I don't accept your premise,,,, Obviously you keep looking, draft or otherwise.

Dodger12

Reaction score
The front office handled that whole thing poorly. Dak was going to bend them over no matter what but they gave up every bit of leverage they had over the course of the multiple year saga and ended up having to overpay.

They should be drafting QBs each year to try to have at least a development option. If they did that they may have had the next Dak or at least some leaverage to push back with. You know Dak wanted paid but you don’t know if he was willing to go to a crappy team to get it.

The fact the Op even asked this question just shows that he knows there's an issue, as do most Cowboys fans. But it's easier to swallow the current situation when you say "what other option did we have."

You pretty much nailed it. Teams plan for these contingencies. What makes it even worse is that we paid Dak coming off a catastrophic injury and had no idea how he would handle the game from both a physical and mental standpoint. I'll admit Dak came out like gangbusters and I was glad to see how he responded mentally.

At then of the day, signing Dak was a good move for Jerry and company. Dak can beat up on lesser teams and give the fans hope. We'll be relevant and the stands will be full, as will Jerry's bank account. But I'm pretty much resigned to relying on the D if we have any hope of playoff success.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Oh if it were me I would’ve moved up in the past couple of drafts for a QB.

We could’ve set still and had Justin Fields or Mac Jones in this past draft but I would’ve gone up for a guy.

So your contention is that the team would be better off with Justin Fields or Mac Jones as the QB of this team, without Micah Parsons on the roster?

817Gill

Reaction score
I don't accept your premise,,,, Obviously you keep looking, draft or otherwise.
But literally none of the options have been better this season lol. The crown jewels of the FA class were Bridgewater and Fitzpatrick. Neither of which would’ve been an upgrade. Only Mac Jones looks like an NFL QB but he’s being coached by the best of all time and hasn’t been asked to carry the team in any way. Also, drafting him means no Micah.

You can look far and wide but there are a finite amount of options. Looking for someone else doesn’t matter if there’s no one else out there.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score

Yah.....with your boy Lawrence?

Oh.....let's not forget about your man crush on the HC who just got fired.......stop dude.

You've been exposed, called out and humiliated soooooo many times I really have to believe you're a troll or completely obtuse.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
We had multiple years to figure it out.

And this thread is asking you what you would have done instead of what the team did.

And you're claiming you would have drafted Fields or Jones.

So, again, I ask - are you saying the Cowboys would be better off without Micah Parsons, with Justin Fields under center?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
And this thread is asking you what you would have done instead of what the team did.

And you're claiming you would have drafted Fields or Jones.

So, again, I ask - are you saying the Cowboys would be better off without Micah Parsons, with Justin Fields under center?

Maybe..

Short term we are better with Dak and Parsons but long term we will see how hard Dak’s contract hits the rest of the roster

Reaction score
But literally none of the options have been better this season lol. The crown jewels of the FA class were Bridgewater and Fitzpatrick. Neither of which would’ve been an upgrade. Only Mac Jones looks like an NFL QB but he’s being coached by the best of all time and hasn’t been asked to carry the team in any way. Also, drafting him means no Micah.

You can look far and wide but there are a finite amount of options. Looking for someone else doesn’t matter if there’s no one else out there.

The problem is that they quit looking and they blew their cap, there were opportunities in recent drafts and there will be more in upcoming drafts that they have taken themselves out of.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Maybe..

Short term we are better with Dak and Parsons but long term we will see how hard Dak’s contract hits the rest of the roster

Well, that's at least a realistic alternative.

I don't, frankly, think any sane person would look at this team and say we would be better off eliminating Dak and Parsons, and adding Mac Jones or Justin Fields. But it's an opinion and you're entitled to it.

Aftershock

Reaction score
Carr was the highest-paid QB in the league 4 years ago. He's now 14th.

Dak's contract will follow the same trajectory. It shows how little some of you understand the business of football that this simple concept of salary cap inflation and the QB market seems to escape you.
How have the Raiders performed the last 4 years?

817Gill

Reaction score
The problem is that they quit looking and they blew their cap, there were opportunities in recent drafts and there will be more in upcoming drafts that they have taken themselves out of.
Recent drafts? The Cowboys haven’t had a top pick since 2016. This was the first year they had a chance at a QB and none have been overly impressive. Are you suggesting they trade multiple 1sts to trade up? For whom?

Remember we just drafted the DROY and possible DPOY.