For Those Who Don’t Like That We Paid Dak, What Was Your Alternative?

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Dak made it known after year three he wanted to get paid and that his pay was all he cared about. I won't begrudge him or any player from getting all they can, it is usually a short career. But you can't say you are a team first guy and take everything for yourself. I guess we'll find out when he needs to restucture to open up cap space.

Unfortunately, there really wasn't an alternative since team Jones didn't draft or look to free agency for a QB.

Reaction score
It’s not hard to assume what it would take to make a move. When you’re in the bottom half of the first round you have to give up multiple 1sts move up for a highly touted QB. It’s not simple maneuvering, it’s mortgaging the future for a dice roll. The amount you’d have to give up for a less than 50% chance of success isn’t a smart move.

You’re acting like making a play for a top 7 pick is a run of the mill front office decision. It’s literally the biggest gamble in the sport.

Happiness.jpg

d_cowboy31

Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of “we shouldn’t have paid him” talk and I’m genuinely curious as to what you resident CowboysZone GM’s would’ve done. He’s a top 10 QB. The way the market works is the next man up in that top 10ish bracket gets a top contract. He’s the 4th highest paid right now, in two years he’ll be the 8th or 9th. He’s not the highest paid QB forever. His teammates adore him there’s no way not signing him would go over well in the locker room. I don’t see any scenario where we let him go and are 10-4 at this point in the season.

What would’ve been y’all’s alternative? A rookie QB and miss out on the next best thing since LT? Try to sell the farm to Seattle when they obviously weren’t interested in trading away their only hope for winning football?

Seriously, what would y’all have done this offseason if you cut the chord on Dak?

Dak is certainly not a top 10 QB. Dak's stats since returning from injury say he's a bottom 10 QB (and that is with a stacked offense!). That's just the new reality. Who cares what he did to start the season? That guy is gone.

I woulda taken someone like Teddy Bridgewater plus all that money you would save from Dak any day.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I was ready to move on.....Would have done what I had to do to move up and get Zack Wilson. Right now....ZW doesn't look great because he doesn't have the weapons we do...nor is his O-line together. But the money saved....not paying Dak....you could have kept this defense together for years to come.

Aulac

Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of “we shouldn’t have paid him” talk and I’m genuinely curious as to what you resident CowboysZone GM’s would’ve done. He’s a top 10 QB. The way the market works is the next man up in that top 10ish bracket gets a top contract. He’s the 4th highest paid right now, in two years he’ll be the 8th or 9th. He’s not the highest paid QB forever. His teammates adore him there’s no way not signing him would go over well in the locker room. I don’t see any scenario where we let him go and are 10-4 at this point in the season.

What would’ve been y’all’s alternative? A rookie QB and miss out on the next best thing since LT? Try to sell the farm to Seattle when they obviously weren’t interested in trading away their only hope for winning football?

Seriously, what would y’all have done this offseason if you cut the chord on Dak?

Goff and Wince are better than Dak. Kirk Cousins is better than Dak. What do you mean what are the alternative? Dak is a below average QB on a stack team that hide his flaws, or tried to anyway.

817Gill

Reaction score
Dak is certainly not a top 10 QB. Dak's stats since returning from injury say he's a bottom 10 QB (and that is with a stacked offense!). That's just the new reality. Who cares what he did to start the season? That guy is gone.

I woulda taken someone like Teddy Bridgewater plus all that money you would save from Dak any day.
So when Mahomes was slumping he was no longer considered a top QB? His stats were abysmal during that 7 week stretch especially without the Raiders games. You can’t just ignore the full body of work and focus on a few weeks.

If every NFL GM had to rank QB’s Dak would be on most of not all of the top 10 portions of the list.

basel90

Reaction score
Stafford , Brady , Carr and others were available, plus the draft where jerry could have traded him for a first rounder .
Everyone knows Dak is not worth 42 mil . The max should have been 28-30 . But no one wants to admit it . Jerry made the same mistake paying zeke .
Dak is a good to decent QB and that is what we see . Up and down . I still think of rhe defense keeps playing great we can win a SB with Dak . But a lot of luck is needed and our running game is not consistent.

jnday

Reaction score

This last off-season was not the time to find a replacement. If they wanted to replace Dak, they should have looked for his replacement 2-3 years ago. Dak has had the luxury of playing with a top five offensive line, a top RB and a great group of WRs. Being surrounded with that much talent would make a lot of QBs look good.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
This last off-season was not the time to find a replacement. If they wanted to replace Dak, they should have looked for his replacement 2-3 years ago. Dak has had the luxury of playing with a top five offensive line, a top RB and a great group of WRs. Being surrounded with that much talent would make a lot of QBs look good.

So what should they have done? Be specific.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
First priority is find your franchise QB,

This team with Mac Jones in place of Dak/Parsons is looking up at WFT/Philadelphia in the standings.

But you're certainly entitled to the opinion that Jones is a franchise QB and more important to this (or any) team than Micah Parsons. That's at least a more realistic scenario than half of this thread spouting out fake Madden trades they would have done.

Qcard

Reaction score
Goff and Wince are better than Dak. Kirk Cousins is better than Dak. What do you mean what are the alternative? Dak is a below average QB on a stack team that hide his flaws, or tried to anyway.
So how do you respond to this nonsense :lmao2::lmao2: