CFZ For those who saw all of them: Rank the All-Time Cowboys QB Arm Strength!

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Vinny, he threw almost 90 yards in one competition. And yeah, you tube doesn't go back that far.

plasticman

Reaction score
Shocker Alert!

Super Bowl era. 1970 to present:

1. Craig Morton
2. Troy Aikman
3. Don Meredith (tie)
3. Roger Staubach (tie)
4. Danny White
5. Gary Hogeboom
6. Quincy Carter
7. Dak Prescott
8. Tony Romo
9. Steve Pelluer

Craig Morton had one real advantage and it was the reason he was drafted. Just like Meredith, he could throw long enough to Bob Hayes where Bob didn't have to go back to get the ball.

One year, when it was a 17 round draft, the Cowboys drafted three quarterbacks looking for someone that could do it. One ended up as their punter (Billy Lothridge), another ended up in coaching after being a backup for six years (Jerry Rhome), and another had to fulfill a six year military commitment (Roger Staubach).

JayFord

Reaction score
Dude… I did watch Nolan Ryan up close when he played for the Texas Rangers. Even over 40 still had one hell of an arm. Never forget it. Never been more in awe of a pitcher warming up. LOL
Nolan Ryan right now can throw it 70-80mph

JayFord

Reaction score
Was Jamarcus Russell ever a Cowboy, I saw him throw the ball through Saturn’s rings…FROM HIS KNEES
no...but he makes a case for top 3 strongest arms ever

he threw it 60 yards from one knee no momentum

its not a shock to think if he used his whole body he could throw from one endzone to the other

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
The weakest arm QB for the Boys was Danny White. He was smart, a great athlete, a great leader with good speed, but came into the league as a 180 lb QB. His max weight was 192. He could not absorb hits as would a more muscular QB. If he had a strong arm, he would have taken the team to a Super Bowl more than once. The Boys' brass tried to make a trade to get John Elway back in 1983. They failed to draft a top QB for countless years until Aikman in 1989.

Hogeboom was from a small college and could not master the brainy part of the game, but had a howitzer for an arm. Testaverde maintained great arm strength even into his late 30's way beyond others, but he was the opposite of those who had "it." In big moments, his brain fog prevented him from greatness. If he had Roger's or Danny White's brains, he could have won many Super Bowls. Vinny was the greatest QB specimen ever produced by the University of Miami, with Jim Kelly in 2nd place.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
QB challenge had Aikman, Vinny and Cunnigham (around 1991-1994). They had a three way tie at 75 yards IIRC. They went again and Vinny hit 77 and won. Unless Farve is on your team, that should settle it (he threw 80 in a different year but it went out of bounds). Morton get an honorable mention at 4th place, but he was not beating those three.
I believe that 80 yard hurl is the longest officially documented throwing of a football in history

blueblood70

Reaction score
Posts like this? Sorry it doesn’t live up to your high standard of football posts. I’ll make sure I take notes next time you post.
don't get offended we, get to have an opinion.. The problem here is any quarterback post about the Dallas Cowboys is gonna turn into a Prescott and Romo hate fest everyone has an opinion you know what they don't remember is they didn't see the games there wasn't social media nobody really knows whose arm strength was better every era was different...

My opinion always has been you put Prescott and Romo on any of those teams that Roger and Troy got to play with in their peak those teams are not gonna miss a beat that's how good Prescott and Roma are the problem is Troy and Roger didn't have to live under the social media high pressure 24/7 365 day a week analytic breakdown of their snap by snap issues...

So anytime I see a post like this I know it's just going to turn into he said she said I'm right you're right you're wrong I'm wrong blah blah blah nobody really knows I mean do you really have something lined up where all four or five of these quarterbacks can go to a actual place that can measure arm strength not what it appeared to be on the field?

Here's a good thing you could do go down and find all the old games from Roger and Troy and see how many errant passes inaccurate passes balls thrown to the wrong person you know interceptions happen quite often with those two especially Danny white you wanna put him in there he was like the worst touchdown interception ratio we've ever had as a good starting quarterback playing for some of our best teams and look at the coaching and the teams he had around him and he still made mistakes but that's what these posts turn into...

So if I wanna say that it's just to me a post like this just gonna start more of the ridiculous opinions if you really want to know their arm strength you'd have to line all four of them up in their peak youth and let them throw a ball Eddie pressure sensor on a wall from four or five distances and really get science into the mix where we can measure their arm strength or it's never gonna actually be settled this is gonna be a bar room type discussion..

See what you made me do one of my famous long talk to text rambling on lack of sentence structure and here we are... That's my opinion I believe Tony Romo could be every bit as successful and good as those other two quarterbacks that everyone wants to say are the best quarterbacks ever played with the Cowboys and I disagree I think Prescott and Romo deserve more credit they are playing on less of teams with less coaches in a time when they are absolutely being harassed by social media.... I mean the analytic breakdowns the week to week and hour by hour talk those two never had to go through that there was a newspaper and a couple radio shows maybe ESPN was the most popular show on TV and the NFL Network was just beginning at the end of Troy 's career TMZ wasn't following people 24 hours a day or some of our players would have been in much bigger trouble trust me we all know the stories those stories would have been 10 times worse when all the facts actually came out...

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Shocker Alert!

Super Bowl era. 1970 to present:

1. Craig Morton
2. Troy Aikman
3. Don Meredith (tie)
3. Roger Staubach (tie)
4. Danny White
5. Gary Hogeboom
6. Quincy Carter
7. Dak Prescott
8. Tony Romo
9. Steve Pelluer

Craig Morton had one real advantage and it was the reason he was drafted. Just like Meredith, he could throw long enough to Bob Hayes where Bob didn't have to go back to get the ball.

One year, when it was a 17 round draft, the Cowboys drafted three quarterbacks looking for someone that could do it. One ended up as their punter (Billy Lothridge), another ended up in coaching after being a backup for six years (Jerry Rhome), and another had to fulfill a six year military commitment (Roger Staubach).
Nice compilation. Thanks.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The weakest arm QB for the Boys was Danny White. He was smart, a great athlete, a great leader with good speed, but came into the league as a 180 lb QB. His max weight was 192. He could not absorb hits as would a more muscular QB. If he had a strong arm, he would have taken the team to a Super Bowl more than once. The Boys' brass tried to make a trade to get John Elway back in 1983. They failed to draft a top QB for countless years until Aikman in 1989.

Hogeboom was from a small college and could not master the brainy part of the game, but had a howitzer for an arm. Testaverde maintained great arm strength even into his late 30's way beyond others, but he was the opposite of those who had "it." In big moments, his brain fog prevented him from greatness. If he had Roger's or Danny White's brains, he could have won many Super Bowls. Vinny was the greatest QB specimen ever produced by the University of Miami, with Jim Kelly in 2nd place.
Lot people are ranking Danny White higher than you give him credit for. But Vinny so far is unanimous. And Hogeboom doing pretty well in rankings, most people haven’t forgotten his arm.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Nice compilation. Thanks.
You know a lot of people's eyes can be broken that's my whole point about this show me the science show me an actual scientific experiment where they bring all these quarterbacks somehow back into their primes bring them all into the field at the same time and set up a bunch of actual targets that they can throw at they had pressure sensors on them and then actually throw some footballs and see who can throw from standing still or from launching and all of them at the same time on the field there is no other way your eyes are broken from a fan standpoint most of them are doing it from memory and the bunch is nonsense that list is it's an opinion there is no proof whatsoever scientifically that one had a stronger arm than the other... But there is proof that some of them played on a lot better teams than we've seen the ones without Super Bowl rings it's a team game and with a better offensive line and more time to throw maybe it would appear that you could throw the ball further I I'm sorry but I guarantee you Prescott has a stronger arm than people are giving him credit for putting him in Rome at the bottom of this list it's an all it's an opinion and really it goes back to who they feel are the best quarterbacks in their minds not with the strongest arms that is where subconscious comes into play and science would be the only way to prove it otherwise...

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was reading the thread about Bob Hayes vs Tyreek Hill and saw the post about Meredith and Hayes having the longest throw in NFL history without YAC? Got me thinking... for those who have seen all our QBs. (Okay, you can get by without Eddie LeBaron, but you at least need to start with Don Meredith!) How would you rank their arms? No accuracy talk, no mobility or pocket presence.... just straight up, which QBs had the strongest arms?

For extra credit... include backup QBs. LOL Remember, we had Randall Cunningham, Vinny Testaverde, and some others who were known for strong arms.

The beauty of this comparison is it can withstand the test of time. This is a skill that stays the same whether you were a QB in 1960 or 2023.

I realize deepest throw doesn't always mean hardest throw or most accurate, I'll let you decide how you want to classify it. I've seen Aikman publicly admit Romo was a better QB, but he was referring to his overall athleticism, not his arm.

I ask because I honestly don't know... My memories start with Danny White. This is something that you surprisingly can't Google. A search only shows all QBs in NFL history. Hope to see some good stuff in this thread from the old school fans!
I've seen most, only one I worry about is Dak....the rest can rest! Lol

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
The problem with questions like this is it’s a different eras. Today’s professional athletes are so far physically superior to athletes of the 60s and 70s. You really can’t even compare the two. And that’s not taking away anything from those back then it’s just how it is. As far as just raw arm strength? That definitely would’ve been Aikman. Romo really didn’t have tremendous arm strength….He had a very quick release and had an unbelievable ability to buy himself extra time in the pocket with excellent pocket presence and the ability to make quick reads. Prescott really doesn’t have that strong of an arm either.