Four CFP teams announced

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
They said they could factor in injuries so they used it as an excuse the shut out FSU.
But the #2 QB (who is good) would've been back for the playoff.
Sucks. Run the table and still didn't make it.
This is the first the the ACC has been left out though.
The Big 12 and Pac 12 had been left out in the past.
its the timing that is sus also though, everyone knows the SEC is looking to poach the ACC top teams and thier sugar daddy ESPN is applying pressure to make it so. The guy they interviewed from the comittee right after the fix job looked like he had been beaten into submission.

DFWJC

Reaction score
FSU clearly ON THE FIELD earned the slot
But those interested in money wanted Alabama
and they were 2-0 vs SEC teams, including total domination of LSU.
Clemson having a down year (they are only ranked 24th) hurt too.
But FSU is big, physical, and very athletic. They matched up fine with those other teams

Oh well. This is the last year we'll see an undefeated team from a good league get left out like that

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
and they were 2-0 vs SEC teams, including total domination of LSU.
Clemson having a down year (they are only ranked 24th) hurt too.
But FSU is big, physical, and very athletic. They matched up fine with those other teams

Oh well. This is the last year we'll see an undefeated team from a good league get left out like that
true but now we will see the top 4 teams from big 10 and SEC every year.. and I'm sorry after OSU there is not a team in the big 10 that should be anywhere near the playoffs..and the SEC got handled outside of conference this year also..the move to 12 teams was not for other networks it was for more of the daddy networks teams to get more games...

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't have a favorite conference, but I suspected they would add Alabama and remove FSU because the CFP not having an SEC team would heavily impact the revenue generated from it.

Beyond that, Alabama is like the Cowboys in that most people either love them or hate them (and a lot hate them), but they all watch Alabama play because they want them to win or lose.

FSU losing its starting quarterback is a conenvient excuse, but the real issue is when Alabama beat Georgia which created an easy ranking tier of Texas (who beat Alabama), Alabama (who beat Georgia), and then Georgia.

That made Alabama the only viable option to sneak into the top 4 and since Georgia lost, the NCAA and CFP committee likely realized they need at least one SEC team in the CFP or it would cost them a lot of moeny.

As a college football fan, I like the 4 they chose and I like the order they chose them in because I want to see Michigan play Alabama, but if I was an FSU fan, I would be very upset at the decision.

They should have told Alabama and FSU if either wanted in they would need to play each other in two weeks with the winner getting the fourth spot.

nathanlt

Reaction score
I don't have a favorite conference, but I suspected they would add Alabama and remove FSU because the CFP not having an SEC team would heavily impact the revenue generated from it.

Beyond that, Alabama is like the Cowboys in that most people either love them or hate them (and a lot hate them), but they all watch Alabama play because they want them to win or lose.

FSU losing its starting quarterback is a conenvient excuse, but the real issue is when Alabam beat Georgia which created an easy ranking tier of Texas (who beat Alabama), Alabama (who beat Georgia), and then Georgia.

That made Alabama the only viable option to sneak into the top 4 and since Georgia lost, the NCAA and CFP committee likely realized they need at least one SEC team in the CFP or it would cost them a lot of moeny.

As a college football fan, I like the 4 they chose and I like the order they chose them in because I want to see Michigan play Alabama, but if I was an FSU fan, I would be very upset at the decision.

They should have told Alabama and FSU if either wanted in they would need to play each other in two weeks with the winner getting the fourth spot.
That solution would be better than kicking out FSU. Also, that option would have made money. Though unprecedented, an extra game is better than preventing the stronger conference champion from the #4 spot. SEC is the weaker conference this year.

triplets_93

Reaction score
The CBS Sports HQ crew previews the 2023-2024 college football playoffs.

CFP Matchups Preview: Is Alabama FAVORED over No. 1 Michigan in the Rose Bowl? | CBS Sports

DFWJC

Reaction score
true but now we will see the top 4 teams from big 10 and SEC every year.. and I'm sorry after OSU there is not a team in the big 10 that should be anywhere near the playoffs..and the SEC got handled outside of conference this year also..the move to 12 teams was not for other networks it was for more of the daddy networks teams to get more games...
I think the 12 this year would've been "something" like this
  1. Michigan
  2. Washington
  3. Texas
  4. Alabama
  5. Florida St
  6. Georgia
  7. Ohio St
  8. Oregon
  9. Missouri
  10. Penn St
  11. Oklahoma
  12. Liberty
But yes, now that Washington, Oregon, Texas, and Oklahoma joined the Big 10 and SEC, it wouldn't been as you said.
There are 4 huge leagues and then everyone else. And especially after stealing all the teams, those tow mega-leagues will take most of the spots.

I can't stand it, but that's how it is. Clemson will be back soon, looking at their recruiting.
TCU, Utah, and some others from the Big 12 or ACC will pop up every once in a while.

They'll save the 12th spot for whoever the best "other" non-P4 team

nathanlt

Reaction score
That’s the best four since FSU won’t put up a competitive game without their QB.
Then why even play the games at all? Just declare that Michigan is the #1, and don't play a falsified playoff system. Champions are won on the field, and FSU would beat all of them. SEC is a weaker conference than the ACC, they lost 6 - 4 this year. That's why the SEC champion doesn't matter, but the undefeated ACC champion does matter.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Alabama winning was huge because that put you in a position where you had to put Texas in as well because they beat Alabama by 10 points on the road earlier in the season.

That's unfortunate for FSU but being on your third string quarterback and how bad they looked last night wasn't good even if they are undefeated. The FSU team that played last night would realistically be the betting underdog against every single top 10 team.

If I'm not mistaken the reason why the extended playoffs didn't start this year was because of the ACC commissioner so it's kind of funny that he's been blowing up social media today

nathanlt

Reaction score
Alabama winning was huge because that put you in a position where you had to put Texas in as well because they beat Alabama by 10 points on the road earlier in the season.

That's unfortunate for FSU but being on your third string quarterback and how bad they looked last night wasn't good even if they are undefeated. The FSU team that played last night would realistically be the betting underdog against every single top 10 team.

If I'm not mistaken the reason why the extended playoffs didn't start this year was because of the ACC commissioner so it's kind of funny that he's been blowing up social media today
The SEC is the weaker conference this year, 6 - 4, and history reminds us that Ohio State was the national champion with a 3rd string quarterback in 2015. So, Alabama won nothing, being from the weaker conference. Alabama was installed, and Florida state is the RIGHTFUL OWNER of a playoff spot. The entire playoff system is compromised this year. No playoff result is legitimate from this moment forward.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Then why even play the games at all? Just declare that Michigan is the #1, and don't play a falsified playoff system. Champions are won on the field, and FSU would beat all of them. SEC is a weaker conference than the ACC, they lost 6 - 4 this year. That's why the SEC champion doesn't matter, but the undefeated ACC champion does matter.
If FSU had their QB, they would have got in. This is college where $$$ and resumes count. I didn’t make the rules. Yes, they got screwed and could have easily replaced Alabama but selection committees aren’t fair sometimes.

nathanlt

Reaction score
If FSU had their QB, they would have got in. This is college where $$$ and resumes count. I didn’t make the rules. Yes, they got screwed and could have easily replaced Alabama but selection committees aren’t fair sometimes.
If Alabama was from a stronger conference, they would have deserved to get in. They are from the weaker SEC.

Tussinman

Reaction score
And unlike the NFL it's not record-based. One of the criteria they literally use is absence of key players is factored into the decision. Well how bad they've looked the last two games you could even argue OSU over them for that 4th spot to be honest

Tussinman

Reaction score
If Alabama was from a stronger conference, they would have deserved to get in. They are from the weaker SEC.
That's tough to say when they literally have two times more ranked wins than FSU and hold the best overall win of both teams

nathanlt

Reaction score
That's tough to say when they literally have two times more ranked wins than FSU and hold the best overall win of both teams
The quality of the SEC is inferior to the ACC, 6 - 4 this year. Look it up. Bama is practically a 2 loss team, they are falsified in the #4 spot.

nathanlt

Reaction score
And unlike the NFL it's not record-based. One of the criteria they literally use is absence of key players is factored into the decision. Well how bad they've looked the last two games you could even argue OSU over them for that 4th spot to be honest
Except no one can beat them on the field. They are champions on the field, when the games are played.