Four CFP teams announced

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I don't have a favorite conference, but I suspected they would add Alabama and remove FSU because the CFP not having an SEC team would heavily impact the revenue generated from it.

Beyond that, Alabama is like the Cowboys in that most people either love them or hate them (and a lot hate them), but they all watch Alabama play because they want them to win or lose.

FSU losing its starting quarterback is a conenvient excuse, but the real issue is when Alabam beat Georgia which created an easy ranking tier of Texas (who beat Alabama), Alabama (who beat Georgia), and then Georgia.

That made Alabama the only viable option to sneak into the top 4 and since Georgia lost, the NCAA and CFP committee likely realized they need at least one SEC team in the CFP or it would cost them a lot of moeny.

As a college football fan, I like the 4 they chose and I like the order they chose them in because I want to see Michigan play Alabama, but if I was an FSU fan, I would be very upset at the decision.

They should have told Alabama and FSU if either wanted in they would need to play each other in two weeks with the winner getting the fourth spot.
This 100%

Tussinman

Reaction score
The quality of the SEC is inferior to the ACC, 6 - 4 this year. Look it up. Bama is practically a 2 loss team, they are falsified in the #4 spot.
Invalid logic because almost all of those wins came from bottom half conference teams facing the other bottom half games.

Why would Vanderbilt losing to an ACC team have any correlation in regards to teams like Alabama Georgia or Ole miss ?

Georgia's not going to beat Florida state by double digit because their bottom half teams don't fair well ? (???)

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I think the 12 this year would've been "something" like this
  1. Michigan
  2. Washington
  3. Texas
  4. Alabama
  5. Florida St
  6. Georgia
  7. Ohio St
  8. Oregon
  9. Missouri
  10. Penn St
  11. Oklahoma
  12. Liberty
But yes, now that Washington, Oregon, Texas, and Oklahoma joined the Big 10 and SEC, it wouldn't been as you said.
There are 4 huge leagues and then everyone else. And especially after stealing all the teams, those tow mega-leagues will take most of the spots.

I can't stand it, but that's how it is. Clemson will be back soon, looking at their recruiting.
TCU, Utah, and some others from the Big 12 or ACC will pop up every once in a while.

They'll save the 12th spot for whoever the best "other" non-P4 team
yup, its been that way for a while, I'll watch my alma mater no matter what they are playing for but i know where this road is going and they will not be invited.

Tussinman

Reaction score
If FSU had their QB, they would have got in. This is college where $$$ and resumes count. I didn’t make the rules. Yes, they got screwed and could have easily replaced Alabama but selection committees aren’t fair sometimes.
The committee's probably also hoping Georgia beats them by double digits. If that happens which is really likely then 95% of people won't even care

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Except no one can beat them on the field. They are champions on the field, when the games are played.
They're not the champions on the field, the championship hasn't been played yet, and FSU is not in the tournament.

You can call it unfair, but you can't say they're the champions.

If this was possible then I'd say the Cowboys have won 15 SBs so far.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
If FSU had their QB, they would have got in. This is college where $$$ and resumes count. I didn’t make the rules. Yes, they got screwed and could have easily replaced Alabama but selection committees aren’t fair sometimes.
I dont think so dont see a world where an SEC champion is not in the CFP.. literally money talks and thier network owns all the cards..

nathanlt

Reaction score
Invalid logic because almost all of those wins came from bottom half conference teams facing the other bottom half games.

Why would Vanderbilt losing to an ACC team have any correlation in regards to teams like Alabama Georgia or Ole miss ?

Georgia's not going to beat Florida state by double digit because their bottom half teams don't fair well ? (???)
Florida State beat those teams that the SEC couldn't beat. Yes. Georgia couldn't even beat Alabama... both wouldn't score against Florida State. See Jared Verse, and any team that played FSU this year.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
It’s funny because if Georgia won, nobody would’ve been arguing that Texas should be above FSU. But because Texas beat the SEC champ, they needed to bump a team in order to squeeze in an SEC team. I think it would’ve been less controversial to have disqualified Texas since they had the weakest loss.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I dont think so dont see a world where an SEC champion is not in the CFP.. literally money talks and thier network owns all the cards..
In that case where FSU got in, Texas would probably be out. In no way are they leaving out an SEC team.

nathanlt

Reaction score
They're not the champions on the field, the championship hasn't been played yet, and FSU is not in the tournament.

You can call it unfair, but you can't say they're the champions.

If this was possible then I'd say the Cowboys have won 15 SBs so far.
Florida State Seminoles are ACC Champions. And it's not just unfair, the playoff system is compromised and falsified this year. No champion will be legitimate this year.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Florida State Seminoles are ACC Champions. And it's not just unfair, the playoff system is compromised and falsified this year.
Irony of this is their commissioner was the one who actually botched the expansion this year...... (They ended up being their own worst enemy)

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Honest question, if Georgia won, is there any way that Texas would still be ahead of FSU?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
In that case where FSU got in, Texas would probably be out. In no way are they leaving out an SEC team.
I agree but they had 2 choices put bama in over UT even after UT beat them or diss the ACC lets see UT is already comming to my network what should i do..I know let FSU know that they should also come to my network...

nathanlt

Reaction score
Irony of this is their commissioner was the one who actually botched the expansion this year...... (They ended up being their own worst enemy)
Doesn't matter, Florida State is unbeatable this year... no one can beat them, no matter the hardship Florida State faces on their roster. FSU's one loss came from the CFP, and ESPN greed.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right, so it's not about the heart of a champion on the field, winning despite hardship. Glad we've got that figured out.
To be fair, FSU could have really helped their cause if they had beaten Louisville and/or Florida by a lot more than 9-10 points.

More importantly, FSU scored 24 and 16 points in their wins after Travis was injured, and those games were against lesser teams than they would have faced in the CFP.

I agree this was likely a money decision, not a pure football decision, but the people choosing who will play for national championships have always been accused of that even before the CFP existed.

The whole reason they wanted to move to a playoff system, and why some people fought against the CFP, was to give the third team a chance to win it, not the fourth team. That's why the only went with 4 teams.

The problem is that no matter where the cutoff is, you are going to have years like this year where the just-outside-the-bubble team very much deserved to be in the bubble.

I still like my idea of scheduling a game two weeks from now between Alabama and FSU and the winner gets the fourth spot.

In the end though, FSU losing their starting quarterback and only scoring 24 and 16 points against lesser teams helped the CFP committee pick their money selection in Alabama.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Doesn't matter, Florida State is unbeatable this year... no one can beat them, no matter the hardship Florida State faces on their roster. FSU's one loss came from the CFP, and ESPN greed.
We'll find out New Year's Eve. I hate Alabama but them having two times more ranked wins and being healthy it wasn't a shocker they got chosen.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
What an absolute corrupt joke the bowl selection is. Does the SEC own the NCAA? Looks like it.

nathanlt

Reaction score
To be fair, FSU could have really helped their cause if they had beaten Louisville and/or Florida by a lot more than 9-10 points.

More importantly, FSU scored 24 and 16 points in their wins after Travis was injured, and those games were against lesser teams than they would have faced in the CFP.

I agree this was likely a money decision, not pure football decision, but the people choosing who will play for national championships have always been accused of that even before the CFP existed.

The whole reason they wanted to move to a playoff system, and why some people fought against the CFP, was to give the third team a chance to win it, not the fourth team. That's why the only went with 4 teams.

The problem is that no matter where the cutoff is, you are going to have years like this year where the just-outside-the-bubble team very much deserved to be in the bubble.

I still like my idea of scheduling a game two weeks from now between Alabama and FSU and the winner gets the fourth spot.

In the end though, FSU losing their starting quarterback and only scoring 24 and 16 points against lesser teams help the CFP committee pick their money selection in Alabama.
Right, and it's better for that bubble to be for the 12th spot. The FSU Bama showdown would be great, make money to satisfy ESPN's greed, and surprise the world when Bama can't score on FSU. I hope your idea pans out, and they play for the 4th spot.

The CFP is illegitimate as it stands now.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
The committee really did it! It's too bad for FSU but I don't blame the committee for choosing Alabama. Just tough luck for FSU. If their 2nd string QB played last night, they might have looked good enough to impress the committee, like OSU with Cardale Jones in the Big Ten Championship. But with the way their offense looked with the 3rd string QB, it just wasn't enough to put them over Alabama