News: Fox: Cowboys shouldn't focus on quarterback during 2021 draft, Troy Aikman says

khiladi

Reaction score
Remember when we had a Sb roster, but we benched the franchise QB for this QB that is in year 5 of his training, and we got to rebuild the roster again to “cater to Dak”...

Sorry Troy, we don’t need this Dak paper-tiger offense... we already wasted the roster catering to this joke QB in this “Dak-friendly offense” that is mediocre on the road and when he’s not down by thirty points and he’s padding stats..

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I’d take Sewell over fields and I’d consider taking Parsons and I’d do it at 2,but there are too many teams with needs at QB to think that someone wouldn’t be willing to deal.

I also highly doubt we pick before 5 and it’s possible that we won’t even pick in top 10. We play in the East I see 3 more wins if not more
No way. Lol

3 more wins? Where? How?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Cowboys shouldn't focus on quarterback during 2021 draft, Troy Aikman says

The Dallas Cowboys have struggled all season long and being without Dak Prescott is making things tougher.

Read Full Story

This is the trade off. If you're not weighing all costs and benefits, you're just blathering.

Dak - 40mil/yr
vs.
Lawrence - Other 1st Round Player

Dak + Other 1st round player
vs.
Lawrence +40mil/yr

Note: I'm ignoring the 1st pick salary because we'll spend that on Lawrence or the Other 1st Round Player.

In general, getting a starting quality QB on his rookie contract is a huge cap win. Rookie salaries are way below free agent salaries, and most so for QBs, because the rookie salary cap doesn't take position into account.

zerofill

Reaction score
lol.. I’d hate to move on from Dak and all the success he brings to the franchise.

I’d hate to miss out on a wildcard win every 5 years after we finally put a great team around him.

Better find a Mahomes, because we aren't building around anyone lol. We have proved that for an eternity it feels like lol.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I had this same argument last year about moving up for Burrow, Tua , or Herbert and everyone is giving the same reasons to not draft.

Everyone is terrified of drafting QBs lol.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Because we know what we have with Dak, we have no idea if Lawrence's college ability will translate to the NFL (so very many don't), and picking a QB with our first selection means one less high defensive pick. (possibly more, if we have the option of trading that pick for multiple slightly lower picks)

This team needs a rebuild on offense and defense.

Drafting a QB would save Dallas 38 million In cap space to start this process. You draft Lawrence(no other QB), turn the page on Prescott, and start a new era. The Dallas fanbase must not be afraid of the unknown.

With this cap savings and I believe 11 draft choices(with comps) 2021 is the year to start a serious rebuild of the roster. No one is safe(no more entitlement), unless cap hit is too much.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
This is the trade off. If you're not weighing all costs and benefits, you're just blathering.

Dak - 40mil/yr
vs.
Lawrence - Other 1st Round Player

Dak + Other 1st round player
vs.
Lawrence +40mil/yr

Note: I'm ignoring the 1st pick salary because we'll spend that on Lawrence or the Other 1st Round Player.

In general, getting a starting quality QB on his rookie contract is a huge cap win. Rookie salaries are way below free agent salaries, and most so for QBs, because the rookie salary cap doesn't take position into account.

No.. it's
Dak + top 5 pick defensive playmaker
vs
Lawrence + defensive free agents bought with $40 million..

The question is which one are we more likely to hit on.. the top 5 pick defender or the rookie QB and 2 or 3 free agents? Two or three question marks vs one.. I am firmly in the camp that supports as few question marks as possible.

starfan1

Reaction score
No way. Lol

3 more wins? Where? How?
Every team we play besides the Ravens have a losing record and we can still sweep the East . the defense is playing better and the line looks better.

So ya I think wins are possible in fact I think we could feasibly play with every team not named Baltimore

unfortunately I think we could lose them all also. I wouldn’t bet either way !

I guess my point is this whole trevor Lawrence garbage is just that. He’ll be gone by the time we pick. And if he isn’t and we cant find trade partner he is the only player I would pick that isn’t defense or Sewell

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I believe he would have with our beloved Cowboys brother. I always have.
It's possible, maybe even likely, but that really has no bearing on this situation, since we don't have the hindsight to know whether any of these prospects will turn out to be great, or even good NFL QBs.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Well... tbf, along with the offense consistently having the worst field position all year long, almost never a plus in tunrovers and some of the worst specials teams work ever seen.
Ok and?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
We did see a few of those games against the best teams in the league, I believe, yes. IIRC, Dak had very little time to throw the ball in those games, and the running game wasn't stellar either. But most of the games, the offense was lighting it up while the defense was putting out the fire.
Always an excuse for Dak lol. Some of y'all want to pay a guy that always has some excuse for is junk play this big money lol. It can never be he just didn't get it done like the D always gets. Y'all are easily impressed by numbers and that's why there is always some excuse for why he doesn't get it done esp against better teams smh. Funny enough that the D played decent against better teams and top 10 still didn't do much.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Always an excuse for Dak lol. Some of y'all want to pay a guy that always has some excuse for is junk play this big money lol. It can never be he just didn't get it done like the D always gets. Y'all are easily impressed by numbers and that's why there is always some excuse for why he doesn't get it done esp against better teams smh. Funny enough that the D played decent against better teams and top 10 still didn't do much.
You seem to be under the impression that I'm a Dakophant. I'm not. I see his flaws, but I see him getting a little better each season. He's gotten better at leading his receivers, and at throwing into tighter windows. He's also throwing to a spot more often, rather than waiting for them to get open. His accuracy has improved as well. He still needs to develop his pocket awareness, but I think that'll come.
He may never be a great QB, and I doubt he'll be elite, but he's good, going on very good.