Video: FOX: Skip Bayless: Jerry Jones is protecting Dak's image by keeping negotiations quiet

Proof

Reaction score
How do you know this? The only real way to prove this is to let him hit the open market. I personally don't believe any team would offer him more then the Cowboys would but I have no proof of that because he hasn't hit the open market.

A) because he's been offered it already.

and

B) because he's been better over the course of his career than the two qb's he's tied to who have already received similar contracts

and

C) because we've seen this a thousand times already. It's just how things work in the NFL and with QB's.

Dak has a particularly unique position too in that he's made so relatively little so far in his career. Cowboys should have extended him last year when he was making like a million dollars. Instead they didn't, and he didn't complain, or cause a stir, he just showed up and had the best year of his career. Which they were banking on.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Without knowing what Daks agent wants and if he turned down this last offer we don’t know much. Maybe wanting a few more in guaranteed money.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

and

B) because he's been better over the course of his career than the two qb's he's tied to who have already received similar contracts

and

C) because we've seen this a thousand times already. It's just how things work in the NFL and with QB's.

Dak has a particularly unique position too in that he's made so relatively little so far in his career. Cowboys should have extended him last year when he was making like a million dollars. Instead they didn't, and he didn't complain, or cause a stir, he just showed up and had the best year of his career. Which they were banking on.

You said it's the Cowboys fault. How do you know that? You don't even know what he's been offered so how do you know any of this? Dak could have made more but he elected not to in favor of betting on himself. We do know that. How is that on the Cowboys?

Proof

Reaction score
You said it's the Cowboys fault. How do you know that? You don't even know what he's been offered so how do you know any of this? Dak could have made more but he elected not to in favor of betting on himself. We do know that. How is that on the Cowboys?

i said it's their fault for not doing more while he was making so little. they should have been more aggressive in free agency, or re-signing coop or jones etc. they had a luxury on their hands no other team has had in as long as I can remember and they squandered it. Dak shouldn't have to foot the bill for their incompetence.

Reaction score

and

and

The best season of his career was the first one,,, last season was a choke-fest and the two previous just plain sucked.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
I've been watching the NFL for 49 years and have never seen any player with such a disproportianate amount of national tv commercials. I saw yet another new one yesterday. I know he is "America's Team's qb" and all but wow he does a ton of tv commercials. He knows how to maximize his potential.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
i said it's their fault for not doing more while he was making so little. they should have been more aggressive in free agency, or re-signing coop or jones etc. they had a luxury on their hands no other team has had in as long as I can remember and they squandered it. Dak shouldn't have to foot the bill for their incompetence.

I know what you said. What more should they have done? They didn't exactly have all kinds of cap coming from all directions.

Proof

Reaction score
I know what you said. What more should they have done? They didn't exactly have all kinds of cap coming from all directions.

I literally just said explicitly what they should have done.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I literally just said explicitly what they should have done.

OK, how? I just said, they didn't exactly have the cap to be doing a bunch of moves so what or how could they have done what you propose?

aikemirv

Reaction score
I disagree..

I don’t blame Dak for this.. I blame Dallas for being the nice guy and playing the little back and forth game that they will inevitably cave in on and give Dak whatever he wants..

The Dallas Cowboys are cowards in negotiations and they let players take them to the shed.
Yeah, I don't either.

Zeke was in poor form holding out too early. Dak is just trying to do what is best for him. I don't agree with him on what is best but don't hold it against him!

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't either.

Zeke was in poor form holding out too early. Dak is just trying to do what is best for him. I don't agree with him on what is best but don't hold it against him!
Elliot did JJ wrong IMO.. D-Law was close by putting off his surgery but he did play under the tag first.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I never said you did. I said don't do that. You get that right? Nobody broke into your house either. What's your point? This isn't your money, don't get all hurt over people having opinions. Both are legal and both are inethical if you want to know the truth but that's how business is done. Let me just clue you in, everybody gets it, but I've seen you post many times and there is definitely a flavor to your position here. If you really want to know how America works, don't try and use the NFL to teach it. The NFL doesn't work the same way America works. You know that right?

You're absolutely right there is a flavor to it. I see individuals attacking him for doing what is in his best interest and I point it out. And I disagree that the NFL isn't representative of American business. Let's leave it at that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You're absolutely right there is a flavor to it. I see individuals attacking him for doing what is in his best interest and I point it out. And I disagree that the NFL isn't representative of American business. Let's leave it at that.

Attacking him how?

The NFL is nothing like real life business. Nothing.

Proof

Reaction score
OK, how? I just said, they didn't exactly have the cap to be doing a bunch of moves so what or how could they have done what you propose?

I'm not going to retroactively go back and itemize moves they should have hypothetically made. Having a franchise for 4 years at 3 million dollars total gives you a massive leg up, and they largely squandered it. There's really no debating that. And you initially argued with me saying I didn't know what they offered Dak when that wasn't my point. Seems you just want to argue. I don't

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'm not going to retroactively go back and itemize moves they should have hypothetically made. Having a franchise for 4 years at 3 million dollars total gives you a massive leg up, and they largely squandered it. There's really no debating that. And you initially argued with me saying I didn't know what they offered Dak when that wasn't my point. Seems you just want to argue. I don't

Give me three moves. I mean, I'm pretty confident in the fact that they couldn't have done a lot more then they did, in terms of FA etc. They didn't have the cap.

Do you see where I'm going here Proof? I mean, the Cowboys are looking at the same situation all over again. The same limitations going forward. The same over payment at the QB position. Same, same to me.

Proof

Reaction score
Give me three moves. I mean, I'm pretty confident in the fact that they couldn't have done a lot more then they did, in terms of FA etc. They didn't have the cap.

Do you see where I'm going here Proof? I mean, the Cowboys are looking at the same situation all over again. The same limitations going forward. The same over payment at the QB position. Same, same to me.

fine. in 2017 I'd liked to have seen them sign Snacks Harrison (ultimately signed for 3 years 30 mil), in 2018 I'd rather they extend Tank than franchise him, and pursue Honey Badger (signed a 1 yr deal with the Texans for 7 mil) and/or Tre Boston (1 yr 3 mil). Last year I'd have liked them to aggressively pursue Earl Thomas, and extend Byron Jones. And that's just a cursory glance.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
What would be the point of that though tyke? I kinda don't see the logic in what I think you are suggesting here. The reason Dak is still standing at the table is because Jerry has refused to play hard ball with him, to this point. Jerry sees Dak as the face of his team but what does that really mean? It means money for Jerry and why would he want to create a villain of Dak? That basically devalues the product and then any investment in Dak, in the way of the contract, goes out the window. No, I don't think this about paying Dak less then Goff or Wentz. I think the offer on the table is better then what either of those guy got paid, to be honest. I don't agree with that but I believe that's what Jerry has offered. I think this is all about the term of the deal.
Better in what way? Those guys signed their deals two seasons ago, if I'm not mistaken. Dak isn't negotiating where they were two years ago. He's negotiating on where he is now, his current market value. It's gone way up since Goff and Wentz signed their deals.
Second, there's a difference between what I think Dak should be paid (I don't consider him a top echelon quarterback) and what I think Dak should ask based on the salary for starting quarterbacks.
Third, yes, I do believe Jerry has something to benefit from these negotiations; otherwise, he wouldn't have leaked out this information - and I believe he did. He took the same approach with Zeke. He wanted to sign Zeke (Zeke who?) for less, but he relented in the end. I think he's playing the same game with Dak.