Video: FOX: Skip Bayless: Jerry Jones is protecting Dak's image by keeping negotiations quiet

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Well, the first part of that question, where I asked you if you agree is directly related, would you not agree? If all we have is that info to go on, and the general knowledge of who the players are, then what else? I guess we can talk about nothing but as you suggested earlier, that would be a little boring right?
Well, because I've been a reporter for the better part of my career, I tend to believe veteran reporters more often than not. And I've had people in management, political leaders and others reveal information to me promising that I not use their names. That's why I believe these reports are close to accurate. People in authority use the press as much as they press uses them.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agree with this. I am a Dak guy and I blame his handlers more for this but he needs to step up and get this done (or not). Too much of a distraction for a team with a lot of work to do.

After 5 months of negotiations most of you posters still don't understand the offer. Nothing to do with the amount of money. Its the length of the contract. Its about flexibility, not average salary.

Cowboys want 5-7 years at that salary and Dak wants 3-4 years at that salary.

glimmerman

Reaction score
After 5 months of negotiations most of you posters still don't understand the offer. Nothing to do with the amount of money. Its the length of the contract. Its about flexibility, not average salary.

He will get a 4 year deal. Unless he is only willing to sign a 3 year deal. I think it’s mostly done and we will see the big announcement. For all we know JJ maybe waiting and doing Coopers now. Big signing party at the star. Lol.

starfan1

Reaction score

well that and guaranteed money has a role to i believe. Hes not going to take less than 110 mil thats what Goff got

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Protect Dak's image :huh: what about protecting the knee "Cap" of the Cowboyso_O this is like a scene from a movie, trying to cripple the person that won't pay :mad:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
well that and guaranteed money has a role to i believe. Hes not going to take less than 110 mil thats what Goff got

Look, money plays a part. And yah, he probably wants a little more on some of those areas. But the big sticking point is the length of the agreement. Cowboys want a bargain in the later years and Dak wants the ability to sign a new contract in 4 years when the rates are way up again. Its smart. But it could backfire on him. He is betting on himself. I have respect for that. Most guys would take the 5-7 years and run with it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, because I've been a reporter for the better part of my career, I tend to believe veteran reporters more often than not. And I've had people in management, political leaders and others reveal information to me promising that I not use their names. That's why I believe these reports are close to accurate. People in authority use the press as much as they press uses them.

Fair enough. Let me ask you, as a reporter, based on what you have personally witnessed over these many years, have you ever known Jerry to go cheap with his Franchise QB? Honest question. In all the years that I have watched Jerry, I have never seen this, which is why I tend to believe that the team has offered a good deal and not tried to short change Dak.

I will be the first to say that we have nothing confirmed yet but based on what has been reported, I just believe that Jerry is willing to pay Dak because he knows what's in store, once the new CBA is in place and Mahomes gets his new deal. It makes sense to get a deal done, rather then use a tag but only if the term of the deal is good for the team. Otherwise, it really doesn't make a lot of sense IMO. I mean, I would not do it at all but I'm not Jerry, we clearly don't see things the same. I mean, he is only owner of the most valuable Franchise in sports and me, well, I get up every day at 6/6:30 and go to work so yeah........

:laugh:

But I don't feel like it's the team this time. JMO though.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If Dak insists upon putting himself on the same pay level with Russell Wilson, he's obviously kidding himself. Discriminating fans know better. It's time for him to see the forest for the trees and quite allowing Todd France to control what's left of his mind. Dak needs to think for himself on this one. He's only tarnishing his image by agreeing to the overly-ambitious contract that Todd France is seeking for himself and the agency he represents.

Last edited:

cowboyed

Reaction score
How dare Dak ask for 35 million a year from an owner whose team is worth billions!!

It's not about begrudging Dak over earning whatever millions a year. It is about managing the salary cap and the impact top money has on it. It limits you from acquiring other play-makers to add quality depth or to replace those that you lose to free agency.

Proof

Reaction score
No. I'm already satisfied that what I said is accurate. We didn't have cap space to do all of that. It's not my claim, it's yours. This is on you, it's not on me. I get your are not interested in doing more. It's a lot of work to go through, only to find out that the cap wasn't there. Right, ad nauseam, it's been proven..... Again, I call BS. I'm not feigning anything. I'm calling BS on this and asking you to prove what you say. That's a little different.

I’m a big of a glutton for punishment.

Sportstrac charges a premium for previous years cap info, but here’s how much we rolled over by year.

PDFNU5V.jpg

in 2018 we had 11 mil leftover clearing the 10 mil aav for snacks.

Here’s an article showing how we could’ve very easily cleared quite a bit more.

In 2018

instead of franchising Tank resulting in an immediately due fully guaranteed 17 million, we could have extended him like we ultimately did and structured the deal in any number of favorable ways, easily affording honey badger and/or Boston

as far as Earl Thomas is concerned I wouldn’t have wanted them to match or exceed the Ravens contract and I’m not sure if they could’ve. They were in the market for him though and I wish they’d have been more aggressive in their pursuit before the Ravens even came calling

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Fair enough. Let me ask you, as a reporter, based on what you have personally witnessed over these many years, have you ever known Jerry to go cheap with his Franchise QB? Honest question. In all the years that I have watched Jerry, I have never seen this, which is why I tend to believe that the team has offered a good deal and not tried to short change Dak.
You said the magic word which provides context here. "Franchise" quarterback. There has only been one franchise quarterback since Jerry has been owner - Troy Aikman. Jerry THOUGHT Romo would be another and paid him accordingly.
I still don't know what Jerry thinks of Dak. I still don't think Jerry believes Dak is a "franchise" quarterback. Why do I say this?
Would you expect Jerry to treat Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees or Russell Wilson like he's treating Dak? Do you believe if Jerry TRULY thought Dak was a franchise quarterback, Jerry wouldn't have ripped up Dak's rookie contract in two years and had given him a new contract commiserate to a franchise quarterback?
I think if Jerry thought Dak was Patrick Mahomes, a new contract would have been done last year. That's what gives me doubts about what Jerry is saying and how he's acting. You don't toy with a FRANCHISE quarterback like this.

I will be the first to say that we have nothing confirmed yet but based on what has been reported, I just believe that Jerry is willing to pay Dak because he knows what's in store, once the new CBA is in place and Mahomes gets his new deal. It makes sense to get a deal done, rather then use a tag but only if the term of the deal is good for the team. Otherwise, it really doesn't make a lot of sense IMO. I mean, I would not do it at all but I'm not Jerry, we clearly don't see things the same. I mean, he is only owner of the most valuable Franchise in sports and me, well, I get up every day at 6/6:30 and go to work so yeah........

:laugh:

But I don't feel like it's the team this time. JMO though.
Fair enough. I respect your opinion. As you pointed out, in the end, we're all just guessing. We'll see eventually, and I won't be upset if you're right, and I'm wrong.
I just want to see the Cowboys win another Super Bowl or two or three or four. I don't care if RisenStar is the quarterback if he can deliver. :laugh:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Bidness is bidness.

I got the impression from Skip that the NFL deadline moved to Monday. He said there was an offer last year at 33. Now a new offer. I bet there is another offer before Mondy.

Jerry needs to rap this up to have a tag for Cooper. Dak has an interest in that happening too. I think they get it done at 35.

Another thread says the Cowboys are in negotiations with 6 players. Even from last year, I thought Jerry anticipated the CBA exploding the cap, and so was trying to get long term contracts on the books now before that.

Proof

Reaction score
I’m a big of a glutton for punishment.

Sportstrac charges a premium for previous years cap info, but here’s how much we rolled over by year.

PDFNU5V.jpg

in 2018 we had 11 mil leftover clearing the 10 mil aav for snacks.

Here’s an article showing how we could’ve very easily cleared quite a bit more.

In 2018

instead of franchising Tank resulting in an immediately due fully guaranteed 17 million, we could have extended him like we ultimately did and structured the deal in any number of favorable ways, easily affording honey badger and/or Boston

as far as Earl Thomas is concerned I wouldn’t have wanted them to match or exceed the Ravens contract and I’m not sure if they could’ve. They were in the market for him though and I wish they’d have been more aggressive in their pursuit before the Ravens even came calling

Sorry forgot to link the article

https://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-co...e-of-a-pen-cowboys-cap-situation-will-be-fine

Whyjerry

Reaction score

I know all the ins and outs of contract negotiation. Did I say anything about the term? I did not. My point is very general - whatever the barriers, compromise needs to happen.

You can hop off the soap box now.