Video: FOX: Skip Bayless: Jerry Jones is protecting Dak's image by keeping negotiations quiet

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
fine. in 2017 I'd liked to have seen them sign Snacks Harrison (ultimately signed for 3 years 30 mil), in 2018 I'd rather they extend Tank than franchise him, and pursue Honey Badger (signed a 1 yr deal with the Texans for 7 mil) and/or Tre Boston (1 yr 3 mil). Last year I'd have liked them to aggressively pursue Earl Thomas, and extend Byron Jones. And that's just a cursory glance.

Ok, but where was the cap for all of that? We didn't have cap in all those years. What I'm saying is how? Hey, I'd love them to go out and get all kinds of guys but you can't do that unless you have the cap space.

Proof

Reaction score
Ok, but where was the cap for all of that? We didn't have cap in all those years. What I'm saying is how? Hey, I'd love them to go out and get all kinds of guys but you can't do that unless you have the cap space.

We absolutely had the cap for it. All of it lol. Maybe later if I'm bored, I will provide the receipts and do the math for you. But we definitely could have. And extending Tank instead of franchising him would have saved a ton of money in 2018 allowing for a multitude of options.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Better in what way? Those guys signed their deals two seasons ago, if I'm not mistaken. Dak isn't negotiating where they were two years ago. He's negotiating on where he is now, his current market value. It's gone way up since Goff and Wentz signed their deals.
Second, there's a difference between what I think Dak should be paid (I don't consider him a top echelon quarterback) and what I think Dak should ask based on the salary for starting quarterbacks.
Third, yes, I do believe Jerry has something to benefit from these negotiations; otherwise, he wouldn't have leaked out this information - and I believe he did. He took the same approach with Zeke. He wanted to sign Zeke (Zeke who?) for less, but he relented in the end. I think he's playing the same game with Dak.

No. Wentz signed his deal last season. We haven't started a new season yet so technically, it really hasn't even been a season. Same with Goff I think.

What info was leaked out? I haven't seen any real details on any deal. If you have something, please post it because I'm sick to death of everybody saying one thing or another when none of us really know what the actual deals are all about.

Lastly, you are stating opinion from a "next man up" perspective. I will tell you now that I don't believe in that. I believe in the New England way of managing cap.

JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
We absolutely had the cap for it. All of it lol. Maybe later if I'm bored, I will provide the receipts and do the math for you. But we definitely could have. And extending Tank instead of franchising him would have saved a ton of money in 2018 allowing for a multitude of options.

Prove that because I disagree.

Proof

Reaction score
Cool. But so we are clear, if you can't show that it was possible, then you can't claim that they didn't do enough.

I can. You can too, easily (just so we're clear). It's just not really worth it. I'll continue to claim it though and discuss with whoever's interested, and you can disagree.

Win/Win.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I can. You can too, easily (just so we're clear). It's just not really worth it. I'll continue to claim it though and discuss with whoever's interested, and you can disagree.

Win/Win.

I could but why? I didn't make the claim that we could have done all these things, you did. I simply asked you how and that's how it works on this board and you know it. If I make the claim, then it's on me. If you do it, it's on you.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not a Dak fan but I have no problem with any player asking for all they can get. The problem lies in the organization overpaying said players. I wonder what constraints Jerry can put on a players endorsers? Like can he stop them from saying Dak Prescott QB of the Dallas Cowboys on every commercial?

Proof

Reaction score
I could but why? I didn't make the claim that we could have done all these things, you did. I simply asked you how and that's how it works on this board and you know it. If I make the claim, then it's on me. If you do it, it's on you.

To satisfy your curiosity? Validate your ability to research? We could have left it at the "vague" they should have done more, but you pressed and I obliged. I'm just really not interested in doing much more. It has been stated and proven ad nauseum over the years that the cap can be manipulated however you choose. You're feigning obtuse to this, so I don't feel like entertaining it any further.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No. Wentz signed his deal last season. We haven't started a new season yet so technically, it really hasn't even been a season. Same with Goff I think.

Okay, one season. Second, yes, a season has passed. So we're into a new season. The market doesn't stay still. Dak completed a season under his current contract. He's now into a new season. He's a season more seasoned, so to speak. He shouldn't want to stay where he used to be.

What info was leaked out? I haven't seen any real details on any deal. If you have something, please post it because I'm sick to death of everybody saying one thing or another when none of us really know what the actual deals are all about.
Just because you're sick of it doesn't make it any less true. Where do you think these numbers come from? Either the agent or the team. This is standard in negotiations. While we can't know for certain, we can know parameters. Besides, no one gives actual figures during negotiations. That's why it's called negotiation.

Lastly, you are stating opinion from a "next man up" perspective. I will tell you now that I don't believe in that. I believe in the New England way of managing cap.
JMO

Of course, we're giving our opinions. This ENTIRE BOARD is centered around opinions. But all opinions aren't equal. And what a boring existence it would be here if we couldn't discuss opinions. Shrug.

Last edited:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Lol. They're ALL coming out of the woodwork now putting words in Jerry's mouth.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then where is all the info coming from? They started the 40M rumor last year. They started the Bryant video rumor. Where did this latest rumor of an offer come from?

As usual, Bayless is as useless as a thong on a warthog.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
To satisfy your curiosity? Validate your ability to research? We could have left it at the "vague" they should have done more, but you pressed and I obliged. I'm just really not interested in doing much more. It has been stated and proven ad nauseum over the years that the cap can be manipulated however you choose. You're feigning obtuse to this, so I don't feel like entertaining it any further.

No. I'm already satisfied that what I said is accurate. We didn't have cap space to do all of that. It's not my claim, it's yours. This is on you, it's not on me. I get your are not interested in doing more. It's a lot of work to go through, only to find out that the cap wasn't there. Right, ad nauseam, it's been proven..... Again, I call BS. I'm not feigning anything. I'm calling BS on this and asking you to prove what you say. That's a little different.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Okay, one season. Second, yes, a season has passed. So we're into a new season. The market doesn't stay still. Dak completed a season with his current contract. He's now into a new season. He's a season more seasoned, so to speak. He shouldn't want to stay where he used to be.

Just because you're sick of it doesn't make it any less true. Where do you think these numbers come from? Either the agent or the team. This is standard in negotiations. While we can't know for certain, we can know parameters. Besides, no one gives actual figures during negotiations. That's why it's called negotiation.

Of course, we're giving our opinions. This ENTIRE BOARD is centered around opinions. But all opinions aren't equal. And what a boring existence it would be here if we couldn't discuss opinions. Shrug.

Doesn't make it true either and because we don't have proof of what is being offered, all we can really go by is what is being reported, do you agree?

One season and it's reported that the deal Dak was offered is actually better then either of those players so I don't really see the angle you are playing here.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Doesn't make it true either and because we don't have proof of what is being offered, all we can really go by is what is being reported, do you agree?
I agree.

One season and it's reported that the deal Dak was offered is actually better then either of those players so I don't really see the angle you are playing here.
Hmm. So you're relying on an unsubstantiated report? ;)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree.

Hmm. So you're relying on an unsubstantiated report? ;)

Well, the first part of that question, where I asked you if you agree is directly related, would you not agree? If all we have is that info to go on, and the general knowledge of who the players are, then what else? I guess we can talk about nothing but as you suggested earlier, that would be a little boring right?