Free Agency Rumors Thread

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Love love love this. Medium risk, very high reward. The only thing is who are our starting DEs going to be? Even with Melton and Hatcher, still lots of work to do on the line.

kramskoi

Reaction score
The Melton-Hatcher combo is probably not realistic, since both are really 3-T's. Not sure the Cowboys can afford it anyway, even if they could convince one of them to take the thankless 1 T position. Melton-Donald looks good on paper but is it really the best bang for the buck tying up resources in one position? Donald, at 285, is really too light to play 1-Tech, and it is not his natural position anyway. He would make no sense at that position given his quickness. I certainly would not lament such a situation (Melton-Donald) but the Cowboys have needs beyond 3 Tech. Besides, Donald would be pushed back for quite a few years, given Melton's age. I don't see the Cowboys doing this. Donald is far too talented for Dallas to go this route imo.

Melton makes the most sense because the Cowboys could miss on Donald in the draft, leaving them with poorer options if Hatcher can't be secured. Melton probably gives them the most flexibility on draft day...but who knows...this time of year can get pretty weird.

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
The Melton-Hatcher combo is probably not realistic, since both are really 3-T's. Not sure the Cowboys can afford it anyway, even if they could convince one of them to take the thankless 1 T position. Melton-Donald looks good on paper but is it really the best bang for the buck tying up resources in one position? Donald, at 285, is really too light to play 1-Tech, and it is not his natural position anyway. He would make no sense at that position given his quickness. I certainly would not lament such a situation (Melton-Donald) but the Cowboys have needs beyond 3 Tech. Besides, Donald would be pushed back for quite a few years, given Melton's age. I don't see the Cowboys doing this. Donald is far too talented for Dallas to go this route imo.

Melton makes the most sense because the Cowboys could miss on Donald in the draft, leaving them with poorer options if Hatcher can't be secured. Melton probably gives them the most flexibility on draft day...but who knows...this time of year can get pretty weird.

Your sig is interesting given today's events. I bet there's a bit more fear of job loss in the country club when two big name vets get cut for lack of production. It's been missing for a while.

Signing Melton would give them so much more flexibility, whether they decide to take a DE, 1T(heard they won't though), S, OT, LB. There could be trade down options as well as BPA. Signing Hatcher might open up 3T if a stud they don't wanna pass up is there because he can move to the 1 and he's older, unlike Melton. Both interesting, I'd rather take Melton though personally.

TINGS21

Reaction score
I doubt that's the case. Where are they playing in this scheme? One guy would have to play the 1 or come off the bench.

You're going to pay top money for a guy playing out of position or a backup?

Well playing guys out of position sure seems like the in thing to do in Dallas...

bsheeern

Reaction score
Not sure how big a factor it was but he is fromthere.

He said he was full-filling a life long dream. He said he has always wanted to be A Cleveland Brown, couldn't envision his career as a success unless he did.

visionary

Reaction score
I am starting to wonder why we don't cut romo and witten right now?

They make a lot of money and are over 30.

I would love to see Garrett try and coach a rookie or a middle of the road vet in this organization at qb.

Then the debates about garrett would be over in about five minutes.

I bet if Garrett coached defense ware would still be here.

quoted for truth

romo has ensured our mediocrity by keeping us relevant, without him, this would be a 4-12 or 5-11 team, garrett would have long since been fired and jerry would have been forced to fire the GM

there is a reason jerry gave romo all that cash, so he could continue to meddle and play with his toy

ferrispata

Reaction score
What are everyone's thoughts on Shaun Phillips to be brought in on a 1 year deal? He had a surprisingly good year last year and can apparently still get to the QB. He could be a functional player for us. I have no idea what his salary demands would be but maybe he would be ok until we retool the DL. Is he healthy?

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Oh no, we may be on the verge of losing Costa too! Oh No!
Source: Ex-Dallas Cowboys OL Phil Costa has visited New England Patriots, will visit Detroit Lions on Wednesday

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...s-will-visit-detroit-lions-on-wednesday.html/

Former Dallas Cowboys backup center Phil Costa has already visited with the New England Patriots and will visit with the Detroit Lions on Wednesday, according to a source.

The Cowboys released Costa on Friday to help clear $1.5 million in salary cap space. Costa, who can also play offensive guard, is now an unrestricted free agent and can sign with any team.

Costa refused to take a pay cut and was set to be released a week earlier before the Cowboys began to “re-think” the release once the league announced that the salary cap would be $10 million more this year than in 2013. Ultimately, the Cowboys agreed it was better to part ways with Costa.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Wasn't he better as a OLB in the 3-4 than a hand on the ground DE in the 4-3

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Plays 4-3, still productive. Could give him the dollars that they wanted Ware to take.

I would prefer younger players, but if the choice was keep Ware or sign Allen for the same price, Allen would probably be the best choice.

He has been healthier and has had more sacks than Ware for about the past 3 years. They are the same age. Also, there are no questions about Allen's size and fit as a 4-3 DE.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Stop gap for what?
Are we odds on favorites to reach the Super Bowl?
Stop gap is what the Cowboys half been doing for 10 years now.
I am sick of it.
Time to implode the D and build it. And by that time, Romo/Witten will be older and more fragile and it will be time to implode and rebuild the O around Dez.

rbr651

Reaction score
Not sure why he would want to go from Minn to Dallas, neither are going to get a title before his career is done(if that is his intentions rather than money).

I think in this day and age of the NFL, rings aren't as important to players as they'd like fans to believe. It's all about the money, don't get me wrong there are still those few that play with the spirit of players from earlier years that just want to win, but they are no longer common.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Allen apparently has made it clear he wants money consistent with someone who has averaged 13 sacks a season. Looking at Seattle/Denver and is prepared to walk away if the money is not to his liking. Does not sound like someone who we need to waste time with and I would bet the feeling is mutual on his side.