Free agent QB situations should be leverage for contract negotiations

Gaede

Reaction score
I agree.

We have to stop worrying about finding this Holy Grail QB voyage.

Dak is not a blue chip QB. He has had 4 years to get to the top and he still is not there and he wants another 5 year deal at $40 ml/yr to stay?

That just makes no sense.

Give me Brees or Brady for that money.

These guys have mastered the QB position and can get us to a SB.

Dak?

Not so much.

Winning is all that matters.

Let's wake up.

Totally. And I like Dak. But I'll sacrifice a 'franchise' QB who gets you between 9 and 10 wins every year for a QB who gives you one year of greatness. Everyone always says this isn't Madden. So we should stop thinking we're in franchise mode here.

Not a basketball fan at all, but being Canadian I couldn't help but follow the Raptors last year. They traded everything to get Kawhi Leonard, including their best player, and won the title, only to have Kawhi leave the year after. And you know what? Not a single Raptors fan cares that left, because they won the title while he was here.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Totally. And I like Dak. But I'll sacrifice a 'franchise' QB who gets you between 9 and 10 wins every year for a QB who gives you one year of greatness. Everyone always says this isn't Madden. So we should stop thinking we're in franchise mode here.

Not a basketball fan at all, but being Canadian I couldn't help but follow the Raptors last year. They traded everything to get Kawhi Leonard, including their best player, and won the title, only to have Kawhi leave the year after. And you know what? Not a single Raptors fan cares that left, because they won the title while he was here.
I agree with your premise, but they only traded a middling star in mid-range Demar, Jakob Poetl and a 2nd round pick.
They didn't trade that much for a player better than all of them combined.

Edit: And they got Danny Green too in return!

Dang... the Spurs really got hosed on that trade.

Proof

Reaction score
That doesn't really say anything though. It could mean he is asking for more or less in annual salary, or more or less in number of years, or more or less in guarantees.

Yeah, naturally. I’m saying that’s about all he’s said, but it definitely infers that things beyond the headline numbers aren’t where he’d like them and that’s the catch.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Lol!! Like not giving Dak 40 million is gonna guarantee us a SB!!! Wow!! Pendejos!

High paid QB aren’t winning Superbowls.. The elite guys are struggling to do it so how is a mediocre guy like Dak going to do it.. Cheer away though.. It’s going to be so funny.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
High paid QB aren’t winning Superbowls.. The elite guys are struggling to do it so how is a mediocre guy like Dak going to do it.. Cheer away though.. It’s going to be so funny.
I know all that crap, so what? Gripe all you want, what's it gonna change? These threads are all about Dak hate, simple as that.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes and no...... The thing that made Garoppolo's contract expensive was the up front money. If you actually look at his deal, it's a really, really good deal for San Francisco. The up front money wasn't really even that big a deal because they had to spend cap. I think every team has to spend something like 65% on players salaries according to the CBA to be in compliance over a certain period of time and the 9ers had to get there so they spent cap up front on JG, while setting up a really team friendly deal. I mean, they really did do a great job right there. It didn't hurt them, it helped, they had to spend the money either way so yeah, it looks bad but it really was not. It's one of those deals where people throw it up and say, "Look at Garoppolo, that's what QBs cost." but his sito was really much different then your average FA IMO.
It hasn't been that good a deal - he only played in 9 games combined over his first 2 seasons in SF. And to say it has been a good deal is only hindsight after this season. At the time he signed the contract with SF though, it was one of the richest contracts in the NFL, and it was for a QB with only 3 NFL starts to his name.

That can't be emphasized enough. It was a huge contract anyway, but considering he had no track record, it was a massive contract. He got a $137 million contract with $74 million guaranteed - an average of $24.6 million guaranteed for each of his 3 career starts.

Even so, while it's true that a lot of the money was up front, that doesn't change the fact that it has a huge contract, or that he will be counting $26-27 million/year against the cap each of the next 3 years if they don't cut him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It hasn't been that good a deal - he only played in 9 games combined over his first 2 seasons in SF. And to say it has been a good deal is only hindsight after this season. At the time he signed the contract with SF though, it was one of the richest contracts in the NFL, and it was for a QB with only 3 NFL starts to his name.

That can't be emphasized enough. It was a huge contract anyway, but considering he had no track record, it was a massive contract. He got a $137 million contract with $74 million guaranteed - an average of $24.6 million guaranteed for each of his 3 career starts.

Even so, while it's true that a lot of the money was up front, that doesn't change the fact that it has a huge contract, or that he will be counting $26-27 million/year against the cap each of the next 3 years if they don't cut him.

No, no... Not saying anything with respect to the player or his production. Just speaking to the contract and the way the 49ers set it up. It was really, really a nice deal for them.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, naturally. I’m saying that’s about all he’s said, but it definitely infers that things beyond the headline numbers aren’t where he’d like them and that’s the catch.
Sure - that some number isn't right. That could be annual dollars, or guaranteed amount or length of contract, although that still doesn't necessarily mean he is seeking the biggest contract ever.

Gaede

Reaction score
I agree with your premise, but they only traded a middling star in mid-range Demar, Jakob Poetl and a 2nd round pick.
They didn't trade that much for a player better than all of them combined.

Edit: And they got Danny Green too in return!

Dang... the Spurs really got hosed on that trade.

Yeah, 'traded everything' was an exaggeration. But trading DeMar was a pretty big deal because of what he meant to the team, players, and especially fans

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, no... Not saying anything with respect to the player or his production. Just speaking to the contract and the way the 49ers set it up. It was really, really a nice deal for them.
It still takes hindsight to know that. After missing most of the 2018 season it looked like a terrible deal, no matter how it was structured, but now that they got to the Super Bowl, and the biggest part of the guarantee has been paid, it looks very good. At the time it was a pretty big gamble.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Yeah, 'traded everything' was an exaggeration. But trading DeMar was a pretty big deal because of what he meant to the team, players, and especially fans
Emotionally, yes.
Talent-wise... they came out way ahead, obviously, and the result speaks for itself.

I do agree with even if it was a 1 year rental, it was so totally worth it.
It hurt me because Danny Green was my fave player on the Spurs at the time.
He was my Demar. Kawhi, I didn't like the guy, but his talent was undeniable. He was fast becoming the best of the best, but hosed the Spurs.

Gaede

Reaction score
Emotionally, yes.
Talent-wise... they came out way ahead, obviously, and the result speaks for itself.

I do agree with even if it was a 1 year rental, it was so totally worth it.
It hurt me because Danny Green was my fave player on the Spurs at the time.
He was my Demar. Kawhi, I didn't like the guy, but his talent was undeniable. He was fast becoming the best of the best, but hosed the Spurs.

Totally. It was a pretty big risk, and upset a lot of people, and I'm down for the Boys to do the same... At the end of the day, fans may lose a fav. player or a big draft pick, but when you win, no one really cares about that stuff.

Proof

Reaction score
Sure - that some number isn't right. That could be annual dollars, or guaranteed amount or length of contract, although that still doesn't necessarily mean he is seeking the biggest contract ever.

oh I know, I’m agreeing with you.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

So, who are these elite guys, and how do you get one? Stop by Walmart and pick one up on the top shelf? Go back to 2005 and draft Aaron Rodgers? Sorry, my flux capacitor is broken.

It's easy to sit around and say a truly elite QB makes it easier to win. There really is no disputing that. But it's much harder to get an elite level QB. As I've said, there are really only about 5 that fit that category, and it takes going back to 20 years worth of drafts to come up with that many.