From PFT: Saban could be in hot water...

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
da_whiz_kid;1352092 said:
I heard it in California, I live in Fresno, my dad was called it several times while we were in bakersfield, ca;(home of the ku klux klan in cali)and he was pissed, my dad and his family are all from the south, Alabama to be specific, and I was always taught that that word was a racial slur towards black people. they also taught it in my Criminal Justice multicultural law enforcement class that it was a racial slur towards black people...NOW I see that the word used was coonarse and not just coon, they could mean two different things IDK, but this is what I was taught and I have heard where it was used as a racial slur, it might not be as bad as N***** but the word is still a slur...

Trust me. Coonarse is not a racial slur.

Much like most Native American's don't mind the Teams being called the Braves or Commanders.
The only ones making this out to be more than it is are the ignorant. (Not aimed at you btw)

WhizKid

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1352103 said:
Trust me. Coonarse is not a racial slur.

Much like most Native American's don't mind the Teams being called the Braves or Commanders.
The only ones making this out to be more than it is are the ignorant. (Not aimed at you btw)

ill get back at you in a little gotta pick up my sis...

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1352101 said:
Well...I am a little younger than you, not by too much, and I feel old.

Now we are not in CBZs age range...but it does not mean we are not old.

But I noticed you did not take exception with the Grumpy or Fart part of it.:laugh2:

That's because I have my moments.

As for CBZ, when I get to that age I'll have my walker all decked out in Cowboy blue and silver with my bed pan having a real nice star on the bottom.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cajuncowboy;1352105 said:
That's because I have my moments.

As for CBZ, when I get to that age I'll have my walker all decked out in Cowboy blue and silver with my bed pan having a real nice star on the bottom.

If I get to CBZ's age I may get biblical and have Methuselah put on my car plates. :D

Later gang, heading out for the night, been a long day.:cool:

WhizKid

Reaction score
COON -- A black male. Starting in the 1880s, the Ku Klux Klan went on nightly raccoon hunts due to raccoons being nocturnal. Later they became the hunts and lynchings of blacks.

I got this from some racist website....

heres another one from another website...

CoonBlacksProbably refers to the Portuguese word for slave pens or barracks "baracoons". Could also have meaning as a shortening of "raccoon", as raccoons have a tendency to steal.

now here is what was said and the definition of it...

Coon*** (U.S.) a Cajun person, either from French 'conasse' (meaning 'stupid *****') or (more likely) because they were regarded as lower than Coons (see above). Today, some Cajuns use the term among themselves as a mark of pride or an in-joke, but many consider its use by non-Cajuns derogatory.
so COON and COON*** are two different words.... so I was right and so were you guys....

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
All regions will experience these types of things. Living in Utah, I've never heard the term myself.

I can't really think of any specific slang terms here that are used commonly.

Skin

Reaction score
da_whiz_kid;1352151 said:
COON -- A black male. Starting in the 1880s, the Ku Klux Klan went on nightly raccoon hunts due to raccoons being nocturnal. Later they became the hunts and lynchings of blacks.

CoonBlacksProbably refers to the Portuguese word for slave pens or barracks "baracoons". Could also have meaning as a shortening of "raccoon", as raccoons have a tendency to steal.

Coonass (U.S.) a Cajun person, either from French 'conasse' (meaning 'stupid *****') or (more likely) because they were regarded as lower than Coons (see above). Today, some Cajuns use the term among themselves as a mark of pride or an in-joke, but many consider its use by non-Cajuns derogatory.
so COON and COONASS are two different words.... so I was right and so were you guys....

Great, you were right and those of us who have actually lived in Louisiana are right. Let's move on.

WhizKid

Reaction score
Skin;1352176 said:
Great, you were right and those of us who have actually lived in Louisiana are right. Let's move on.

either way two different words, whether lived there or not...

...lol....so how bout that HC we're looking for?:confused:

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Avery;1352169 said:
All regions will experience these types of things. Living in Utah, I've never heard the term myself.

I can't really think of any specific slang terms here that are used commonly.

Avery is right about that...

In Utah where he lives, they fondly call each other "Humping Storm Trooper"...

Rocky

Reaction score
trickblue;1351009 said:
Good gosh... Mr. Florio needs to do his research...

Coon-Arse is in NO way a racial slur or even a slur... Many proud Cajuns refer to themselves as just that...

It is usually relegated to those that live in Southern Louisiana...

Per Answers.com and many other authoritative sources:

Coonass, or Coon-***, is an epithet used in reference to a person of Cajun ethnicity.

Your alluding to colloquial definitions doesn't change this reality; only reinforces provincial beliefs, regardless of widely-held holdings to the contrary.

Facts.

AtlCB

Reaction score
da_whiz_kid;1352151 said:

Coon*** (U.S.) a Cajun person, either from French 'conasse' (meaning 'stupid *****') or (more likely) because they were regarded as lower than Coons (see above). Today, some Cajuns use the term among themselves as a mark of pride or an in-joke, but many consider its use by non-Cajuns derogatory.
so COON and COON*** are two different words.... so I was right and so were you guys....
So I assume that we can all agree that a racial slur was not used in this case. Maybe Florio needs to hire you to do a little research for him before he prints this stuff.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never heard of the term.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
BulletBob;1351256 said:
I find this justification quite interesting.

If a certain class of people uses a seemingly-offensive term among themselves (jokingly or casually) with no objection, the term itself should not be considered offensive by the general population.

Apply that same logic to another derogatory term which is often used within the African-American community primarily by males to refer to each other.

Does the logic still hold?

Just a thought. I have many.

The reality of what was said and where it was said (Saban having coached in Baton Rouge) is that hardly anyone finds that term offensive as far as I can tell. I happened to marry a woman from South LA, and because she has termed herself a Coon*** before, that makes the facts different?

Why is it that if I have a specific example from my experience of what is being discussed, that I should throw out that example? It seems like that experience should be valuable when discussing the subject... considering many here talking about it have never even heard the term, much less lived in an area where it is a common term.

trickblue

Reaction score
Rocky;1352343 said:

Coonass, or Coon-***, is an epithet used in reference to a person of Cajun ethnicity.

Your alluding to colloquial definitions doesn't change this reality; only reinforces provincial beliefs, regardless of widely-held holdings to the contrary.

Facts.

Facts according to whom?

The fact that answers.com describes it as a pejorative doesn't make it so.

The fact I know to be true, as one who grew up in Louisiana (born in Texas), is that of a word that is used fondly and in jest among the locals of the state.

Whether or not it offends Northerners or PFT is another matter. If you don't like my description of its origin, then you can surely hold on to whatever belief you have. It is certainly your right.

I can assure you that "coon" in the text of the word has nothing to do with race and, quite honestly, that is what everyone is up in arms about. Whether or not that you choose to be offended is your own business, but the fact of the matter is that "coonarse" is subjective in meaning.

Down in Texas when you call someone a "Yankee" it is a definitive putdown. Jokes about one's mother are more permissive among the masses. Should that word be grounds for outrage?

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
AsthmaField;1352498 said:
The reality of what was said and where it was said (Saban having coached in Baton Rouge) is that hardly anyone finds that term offensive as far as I can tell. I happened to marry a woman from South LA, and because she has termed herself a Coon*** before, that makes the facts different?

Why is it that if I have a specific example from my experience of what is being discussed, that I should throw out that example? It seems like that experience should be valuable when discussing the subject... considering many here talking about it have never even heard the term, much less lived in an area where it is a common term.

Not criticizing you. Just trying to prompt thought that the same logic might be used in analyzing a similar situation. Some say that it should (not saying I agree, by the way).

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Rocky;1352343 said:

Facts.

Trust me, it's not a racial slur or anything else.

I know what I'm talking about.

I am one.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
trickblue;1352285 said:
Avery is right about that...

In Utah where he lives, they fondly call each other "Humping Storm Trooper"...

What? :eek:

I live in Utah and there is no way that I am humping Avery! Besides, here in Utah we can have 10 wives...now, humping one of Averys 10 wives, maybe....

:confused:

trickblue

Reaction score
5Stars;1352850 said:
What? :eek:

I live in Utah and there is no way that I am humping Avery! Besides, here in Utah we can have 10 wives...now, humping one of Averys 10 wives, maybe....

:confused:

Avery's avatar for years was this:

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v628/cowboyszone/temp/stormtrooper.gif%5B/IMG%5Dhttp://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v628/cowboyszone/temp/stormtrooper.gif

So it was just an old joke... ;)

WhizKid

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1352674 said:
Trust me, it's not a racial slur or anything else.

I know what I'm talking about.

I am one.

this has been established, look four post above this...

coon and coon*** are two different words...coon being a slur and coon*** not being one...