Frustration of us knowing more than coaches

Reaction score
How many of us, and how many times, called for Zack Martin at RT, Donovan Wilson at SS, and Antuan Woods/Neville Gallimore (or anyone other than Poe) at DT? Yet why did it take almost one half of a season to make these changes? So very frustrating that us fans saw this so much earlier than the coaches.

JayFord

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to see if a player needs to be benched or given time to develop......Steele it seemed at first he needed time to develop then it got to the point he had to be benched

Reactions: CWR

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
How many of us, and how many times, called for Zack Martin at RT, Donovan Wilson at SS, and Antuan Woods/Neville Gallimore (or anyone other than Poe) at DT? Yet why did it take almost one half of a season to make these changes? So very frustrating that us fans saw this so much earlier than the coaches.

Welcome to my club.....:laugh:

Kaiser

Reaction score
Its easy for us behind the computer to make different coaching decisions. They are the ones who actually watch them in practice.

And for every move listed in the OP there 10X more saying "cut everyone on the defense". I honestly don't remember a single "Why isn't Donovan Wilson starting" thread. I also started a thread about fixing the defense that said Gallimore would be in the rotation next year and half the replies said the idea was stupid.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score

it took 2 wins and 7 loses for kellen to make the zack martin adjustment .

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And for every move listed in the OP there 10X more saying "cut everyone on the defense". I honestly don't remember a single "Why isn't Donovan Wilson starting" thread. I also started a thread about fixing the defense that said Gallimore would be in the rotation next year and half the replies said the idea was stupid.
Right. If Jerry listened to the fans we'd have Johnny Football here instead of Zack Martin.

Kaiser

Reaction score
it took 2 wins and 7 loses for kellen to make the zack martin adjustment .

Or it took this long for McGovern to look ready in his practice reps. He was completely lost when he played earlier in the year, and I've always been one of his boosters. There is a huge mental adjustment to playing OL in the pros coming from college.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

There is patience....and stupidity. Sadly...our coaching staff really blurs the lines when it should be crystal clear in what to do. :rolleyes:

Sydla

Reaction score
Its easy for us behind the computer to make different coaching decisions. They are the ones who actually watch them in practice.

Which doesn't mean they can't make dumb mistakes. Which they did in some cases. How anyone watched Darian Thompson in games and in practice and decided, "you know what? that guy can play" is perplexing.

Reaction score

I hear you about the “cut everyone” crowd. But I believe there were plenty of us who saw Donovan Wilson was the better tackler and better playmaker than Darian Thompson.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Say what you want...I never got starting Steele over McGovern. I know they play different positions, but one starts and the other sits.

I'll take the slow play on Wilson, even though, I felt they were lacking foresight to play, and develop the young player.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Which doesn't mean they can't make dumb mistakes. Which they did in some cases. How anyone watched Darian Thompson in games and in practice and decided, "you know what? that guy can play" is perplexing.

It doesn't but we don't know how Wilson was practicing.

I remember in 2016 when everyone saw Dak, Romo, Showers and Moore and a lot of reports came out that Dak and Showers were battling each other. Come to find out Dak is a better in game performer than he is at practice.

There are so many decisions that goes into playing a guy.

As long as they make the right decision that's all that matters I'm not going to complain about when they did it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Say what you want...I never got starting Steele over McGovern. I know they play different positions, but one starts and the other sits.

I'll take the slow play on Wilson, even though, I felt they were lacking foresight to play, and develop the young player.
That one was mind boggling but I suspected Steele had a good camp for them and they rewarded him with a starting nod.

Kaiser

Reaction score

I think it was a "slowing the game down" thing for McGovern. He had a great college career and has a ton of physical talent, but he did look lost when Martin got hurt and he had to step in. Steele was awful but he was the last OT standing, the coaches said he would improve with reps and in fairness, he did improve. Not enough, but he did.

But if you gave both guys all the reps going forward McGovern could turn into a solid starter while Steele has the ceiling of a swing tackle.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

yep....and pollard way more carries. Gilbert should be starting also.